Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Metal Vinyl

• 03-02-2021 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭

Seen a post where someone was requesting a vinyl album and thought we should have our own Vinyl thread, i got a turntable for christmas and finally brought all of my Vinyl out of storage, got some class stuff, sure there's things i want so will have a think

Here's my discogs collection (so easy on discogs to categorize and value), i just started putting my cd's in last week, unreal that a lot are only worth 1 or 2euro

https://www.discogs.com/user/scudzilla666/collection?header=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭peter4918

scudzilla wrote: »
    Seen a post where someone was requesting a vinyl album and thought we should have our own Vinyl thread, i got a turntable for christmas and finally brought all of my Vinyl out of storage, got some class stuff, sure there's things i want so will have a think

Here's my discogs collection (so easy on discogs to categorize and value), i just started putting my cd's in last week, unreal that a lot are only worth 1 or 2euro

https://www.discogs.com/user/scudzilla666/collection?header=1

Some great albums in there. Where do you plan on getting some new stuff (or I mean buying some more vinyl). I support the Irish shops as best I can but they don’t have a lot of the albums I’m trying to recollect on vinyl. Amazon are good for some especially if it’s under €22. For other stuff I’m looking at to get the postage from the UK has gone very expensive. Any suggestions? Postage to Ireland on Discogs and eBay always seems excessive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

peter4918 wrote: »
    Some great albums in there. Where do you plan on getting some new stuff (or I mean buying some more vinyl). I support the Irish shops as best I can but they don’t have a lot of the albums I’m trying to recollect on vinyl. Amazon are good for some especially if it’s under €22. For other stuff I’m looking at to get the postage from the UK has gone very expensive. Any suggestions? Postage to Ireland on Discogs and eBay always seems excessive too.

A guy on the Metallica thread pointed me towards address pal for US items, i've just ordered Hardwired , the walmart limited edition 2 disc orange vinyl jobbie. Think it comes in at around 43euro all in, i'll see how that goes.

I've been browsing some of the buy/sell places like adverts, some people have average quality albums and selling for the highest price.

Guess it's gonna take some time to rebuild collection, won't be in any rush, when all this covid shite is over i'll pop me head in a few charity shops.

Ordered a few things from the record hub, very nice experience and quick too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Another shout for Record Hub and also Music Zone (a physical record shop in Cork). Both offer free delivery above a certain threshold (€40 for Record Hub, €60 for Music Zone). Spindizzy Records have a decent range and do free delivery over €75. Tower's range is probably the best but their shipping isn't cheap (although I haven't checked recently, they may have changed to compete with the others mentioned)

Things are a bit more uncertain in the UK now, apart from Amazon. Larger orders are now liable to have big charges and double VAT, making taking the risk unappealing. AddressPal can be very good for the US as postage charges can be mad, especially via eBay and their Global Shipping process. I've had a few vinyls shipped from the US using it without problems, and saved myself over $100 on one order compared to what eBay wanted to ship it directly!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hey,

I have been using Record Hub and Spindizzy and found both to be very good.
    On Amazon I'm ordering lots of vinyl individually under the 22 Euro mark to get the VAT discount which is working out good.

I have address pal also and was wondering what US sites would anyone recommend ?.There seems to be a bit of a stigma in the US with people buying their vinyl from Walmart although they seem to have a lot of exclusives at the moment.
    What's the threshold for stuff coming from there ?

I have been using recordhub, music zone and golden disks myself and find them all to be an excellent service. Must look at spindizzy tonight and give them a go.

How long does it take from time of order to delivery from the states and what’s the story with import charges? I must look into setting up address pal and give it a try.

• Advertisement

Hint when using addresspal, I ordered some of the Metallica vinyl from Walmart, put my name and APW and address in, Walmart took the APW out as it mustnt have looked right in address, so now I've changed my name to Scudzilla APW 123456, so the APW is after my surname in same box.
    Luckily I have an unusual surname and my package was located easily, it's currently on the way

I have address pal also and was wondering what US sites would anyone recommend ?.There seems to be a bit of a stigma in the US with people buying their vinyl from Walmart although they seem to have a lot of exclusives at the moment.
    What's the threshold for stuff coming from there ?

It's 22 Euro from anywhere outside the EU

THe likes of Newbury Comics and Barnes & Noble tend to do a lot of vinyl exclusives and signed stuff, they're worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Hint when using addresspal, I ordered some of the Metallica vinyl from Walmart, put my name and APW and address in, Walmart took the APW out as it mustnt have looked right in address, so now I've changed my name to Scudzilla APW 123456, so the APW is after my surname in same box.
    Luckily I have an unusual surname and my package was located easily, it's currently on the way

Got my 6 albums yesterday,€181 including all costs and customs. Would cost more to buy them here

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Music Zone in Cork is great, Ray and Bobby are sound. If they don't have what you want on the site give them a buzz or message them and they'll try to sort you out.

My collection of randomness;

https://discogs.page.link/CCuePXdxiPyzWkuE9

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Nice collection scud!

Here's mine:

https://www.discogs.com/user/david-corcoran/collection

• Advertisement

Only started putting some stuff on my discogs profile

https://www.discogs.com/user/psychozeb/collection

I'd love to say i'd continue supporting smaller irish shops like spindizzy but price matters a lot to me, i'm getting S&M 2 on vinyl, Spindizzy are 85euro, Amazon is 65Euro
    Can see myself buying a lot more from U.S, and yeah, as someone has said, finally a way to get stuff from Newbury as they only ship to U.S, have to order a few items though to justify the 15.99 addresspal fee

Question for ya on Record Store Day

The limited editions/super limited editions, do they become available in the Irish stores and can you buy online?

Seen a nice Skid Row Vinyl of Slave to the Grind from RSD 2020 but it was 60euro, unsure if they bumped the price

psychozeb wrote: »
    Got my 6 albums yesterday,€181 including all costs and customs. Would cost more to buy them here

Sounds good. What was the time from order to delivery?

I might set it up tonight and order the two upcoming Dio with Sabbath reissues of Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules at the moment seem to be only getting released in the US, cant get any info on a European release.

I might set it up tonight and order the two upcoming Dio with Sabbath reissues of Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules at the moment seem to be only getting released in the US, cant get any info on a European release.

i ordered mine on Feb 5th from Walmart, was delivered to AnPost New Jersey on the 10th and it left New Jersey on the 12th. No further updates on the tracking though, guess it's now in Ireland

**IF ORDERING FROM WALMART READ MY POST ABOUT WHERE TO PUT YOUR APW** Better still, just add it after your surname anyway for anything, guessing the yanks could well delete it if it doesn't fit in with address

That was the price of it when it was released,hence i passed.

Question for ya on Record Store Day

The limited editions/super limited editions, do they become available in the Irish stores and can you buy online?

Seen a nice Skid Row Vinyl of Slave to the Grind from RSD 2020 but it was 60euro, unsure if they bumped the price

That was the original price when released,hence I passed.

I had mine pre-ordered,they were delivered to address pal depot 29th Jan and I received it at my house the 15th February.

My Discogs collection, still a work in progress. I like to think of it as "eclectic" :D

https://www.discogs.com/user/blastman2000/collection?page=1&limit=250

Have thrown my WIP Discogs list up on the other thread too but here it is again.

I try update it when i get the time as i have over 2,000 records in my collection.

https://www.discogs.com/user/Grahamer72/collection?page=1&sort=artist%2Casc&folder=0&limit=25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Have to give a shout out to Spindizzy records - got the Whitesnake Rock album on white vinyl form them this week. Perfect customer service, cheaper than the rest and delivered with a tracking number ridiculously fast.

Anyone notice how the price of second hand vinyl has gone through the roof, guess people are looking items up on discogs and asking for the top price.

With approval from Mod Angron we can now buy and sell rock/metal vinyl in here, guess the general rule is don't take the piss

For anyone interested in ordering from U.S heres my price breakdown

Ordered 1 copy of Hardwired - Metallica Orange Vinyl from Walmart on 5th Feb

Vinyl cost - 23Euro
    Addresspal Fee - 16.99
    Customs Fee - 6.65
    Anpost fee - 3.50

So a total of 50.14 , pretty pricey but i wanted it, next time i'll probably order a few

Like to know off the guy on here who ordered all 6 what the total cost was and if he got nailed for customs

Like to know off the guy on here who ordered all 6 what the total cost was and if he got nailed for customs

€181 all in for the 6 albums he said

€181 all in for the 6 albums he said

i'm a lazy fcuk, i only had to look back a page :pac::pac:

i'm a lazy fcuk, i only had to look back a page :pac::pac:

Full breakdown was
    Walmart 134.95
    Address pal 20.99
    Customs. 25.26
    An Post. 3.50

Actually full total 184.70

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Isn't Address Pal an An Post service? Is it a bit rich that they are charging twice for the service or is there a reasonable reason?

How are the Custom charges notified to you? On delivery?

Alot of (probably silly) questions!

Degag wrote: »
    Isn't Address Pal an An Post service? Is it a bit rich that they are charging twice for the service or is there a reasonable reason?

i bought item and it went to addresspal in U.S, when it gets there they bill me 16.99, it then gets sent over to Ireland via UK.

Customs then value the item, they valued mine at 30Euro when it was only 23, AnPost then send you a bill, mine was 6.65 Vat and a 3.50 fee for anpost processing it,

When that is paid they release item for delivery.

I was overcharged VAT by maybe 2euro, just for the craic i'm going to chase them for it, will cause them issues and it will kill some time i guess

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »

Got customs notification via email before it was released for delivery.
    They charge for the redirection service but the customs one is an administration charge.

Advertisement