Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

• 17-02-2016 10:05pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I thought we could do with a general chat thread around here, so this is going to be it!

Came across this on the Guardian, A guide to Italian coffee: sugar is optional, Frappuccino does not exist

I always thought too much sugar in Coffee and tea drinks in this part of the world. A guy in work puts more sugar in espresso than can really fit in the cup.

Also with Cappuccino when did chocolate need to be sprinkled on top, surely it should be sweet enough without this?

Anyway, feel free to post any random stuff in here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Great idea - always feel like posting stuff that doesn't really warrant a thread of its own!

The thing that always gets me is the whole macchiato terminology and how it has been damaged by Starbucks. Several times I've seen people ask for one in a café and the look on their face when they don't get the caramel milkshake! Also think tea is still very much a misunderstood thing in Ireland.

http://www.perfectdailygrind.com/2016/02/cafe-de-lambre-where-green-beans-have-been-aged-for-23-years/

This is a fascinating read - an unassuming café in Tokyo where the beans have been aged for years and are filtered through cloth socks. Goes against all the conventions you could think of and yet it sounds outstanding. The owner a fine 102 years of age! Would love to visit it one day, it sounds exquisite. Wonder what the story is with aging beans anyway?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is anyone thinking of going into the World of coffee thing in June?

€15 for a day pass.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

adrian522 wrote: »

€15 for a day pass.

whats this now? got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

€15 for a day pass.

Thinking about it! Wondering if there would be roasters selling coffee etc. as well or is it just the tournament?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

mossym wrote: »
    whats this now? got a link?

Seems to be like an exhibition for specialty coffee rosters etc. The World Barista Championship and Brewers Cup are on there as well I think.

The link is here:

http://www.worldofcoffee-dublin.com/

I think some these parts attended last year.

Tickets here:

https://www.eventhaussecure.com/

• Advertisement

Thinking about it! Wondering if there would be roasters selling coffee etc. as well or is it just the tournament?

Exhibitor list here:

http://www.worldofcoffee-dublin.com/exhibitor-list.html

Some good stuff there anyway.

Sounds like a great day out - think I'll go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

*unlurk*

I work for a coffee roastery in NZ (as their CFO) if anyone wants anything answered from the other side of the counter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Very 3FE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

€15 for a day pass.

I'd love to go. But paying? ... hopefully arabica69/ch2008/RE*ACT*OR still lurk around these parts and will kindly offer up some free passes :p I asked first :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I went in to get a coffee at this thing last year and just walked in, didn't know you had to pay until I left...

Feeling of joy when you finally dial in the grinder to a good setting and get the golden stuff coming out of the espresso machine :) Hario Mini Mill, step up from the last thing I was using. This will do nicely until I step up to a Baratza :)

http://i.imgur.com/Ic28gwA.jpg

Nick's Sweet Espresso beans are a steal! Nice nutty/toasty taste sort of like Ariosa. Fiver and a free coffee thrown it, can't really beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

J_E wrote: »
    Feeling of joy when you finally dial in the grinder to a good setting and get the golden stuff coming out of the espresso machine :) Hario Mini Mill, step up from the last thing I was using. This will do nicely until I step up to a Baratza :)

http://i.imgur.com/Ic28gwA.jpg

Nick's Sweet Espresso beans are a steal! Nice nutty/toasty taste sort of like Ariosa. Fiver and a free coffee thrown it, can't really beat it.

I used to live in Harolds Cross and miss Nicks beans! Always nice to pop over and grab a bag and a cup. Always wondered if a similar setup as Nicks would work here in Galway.

I think it's a great model really - keep the premises basic, serve good coffee and pass on some of the savings. Some good cafés struggle because they're in large expensive units - it would be cool to see more smaller bar-style joints around.

Yeah, I guess its difficult to source cheaper high quality beans as well. I'd imagine Nicks are doing the roasting themselves which would cut down on costs, I don't know that for sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Some great videos on the Munchies channel. Found a lot of the people in this one annoying though!

https://munchies.vice.com/en/videos/munchies-la-coffee

Anyone know anything about this roaster?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057564795

25% code off bell lane roasert here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057564795

Has anyone tried them?

25% code off bell lane roasert here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057564795

Has anyone tried them?

I've 1kg of their dragonfly in my basket, but going to wait to see if anyone here is familiar with the roaster. Comes in at around 20 quid including shipping with the discount applied.

• Advertisement

I just ordered some house blend and dragonfly - the discount covered the shipping, though I thought their shipping was quite pricey (€7.60 for 1500g) compared to a lot of places that do a flat rate of a fiver or even 'free' with a larger order.

Thanks, let us know what its like once it arrives.

Seems to be €3.80 per kg or part thereof. €3.80 postage for a 250g bag, also €3.80 for 1 x 500g + 2 x 250g.

Seems to be €3.80 per kg or part thereof. €3.80 postage for a 250g bag, also €3.80 for 1 x 500g + 2 x 250g.

Will do - it seems they dispatch thursdays for friday delivery so should have it for the weekend hopefully! Will start with the house blend I think!

Just pulled the trigger myself, went with Bolivian Single Origin 250g, Dragonfly Espresso 250g and Moondust Espresso 500g.

That's 1KG of coffee (unless my Maths are failing me again) for €23. So pretty good value if the coffee is any good.

I may have missed the 2pm cutoff for Friday delivery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Just ordered 2 kilos - moon dust, house blend, and their decaf. Hopefully it's not a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

roaster used to roast for java

If you look at their site, the owner says that they aim to fill the commercial space between the large and the speciality

So somewhere between Bewleys and Bailies

roaster used to roast for java

If you look at their site, the owner says that they aim to fill the commercial space between the large and the speciality

So somewhere between Bewleys and Bailies

Well hopefully its closer to Bailies. Seems to roast to order so that's a good sign. Sent them an email about the delivery yesterday, only got an out of office reply.

Anyone got their bell lane order yet? Was expecting/hoping it would come today for the weekend but doesn't look likely now :(

Anyone got their bell lane order yet? Was expecting/hoping it would come today for the weekend but doesn't look likely now :(

Ordered mine Thursday evening and got it today - will give it a try when I get home later.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

waiting on some fairy floss from badger and dodo, some day in the future all couriers will use gps and real time tracking. it will be a beautiful day

in the mean time I decided to try out bulletproof coffee again, I used to like it but the ever loving hassle of it all put me off in the end. I was using a handheld stick blender and it was just a pain, not least of which was finding a glass I could fit the blender into. Picked up a nutrininja at the start of the year and have been using it for smoothies, had the bright idea of using it to blend the butter/coconut oil into the coffee. It blended together so much better than any I've had before, the foamy head actually stayed on the coffee the entire way through.

I don't think i'd try it with any coffee I'd order online, it seems a waste of beans with good flavour to drown them in butter and coconut but it's a nice little drink to throw into me every now and again with some of the cheaper supermarket varities. glad I tried it again.

Advertisement