Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

• 02-03-2020 4:17pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just starting new thread for the season(s). Nothing to report! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cold air spreading aloft tonight after the cold front into tomorrow and the passage of troughs giving instability along with diurnal heating tomorrow afternoon will give some heavy showers and some might contain hail and a few sporadic showers may become electrified although there is low shear and lapse rates available. Pulse type brief thunder storms if any. Later Sunday evening the NW/ N might see some heavy showers and again some might have hail and become electrified.

T0ZPaGG.gif

RZnSXUU.gif

anim_gzc2.gif

arpegeuk-28-30-0_tru6.png

anim_zgi0.gif

DC9CPnS.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Here we go again, lightening strike near my house just now, heavy hail storm atm.

Mountains NE of Sneem, 600 ft ASL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Just the one strike, small event.

Edit: It shows on met.ie but not on lightening maps, I wonder where met.ie get their lightening data ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭typhoony

could get lively on the west coast in the next hour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭highdef

typhoony wrote: »
    could get lively on the west coast in the next hour

Extremely potent cell just about or else just has hit land west of Galway city. I would guess around Spiddal or possibly just east of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Thunder and lightning in Spiddal a while ago

As well as that potent shower around Spiddal, there looks to be a very active squall like feature developing, hitting much of the Clare coast imminently and may well affect Galway City shortly however the recent heavy shower west of the city may leave the city somewhat in a less wet location than further south. This may change in the coming minutes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Thunder and lightning NW Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Heavy rain and huge clap of thunder in Dublin city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Torrential rain and hail with Thunder - D14

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Torrential rain and hail with Thunder - D14

Same in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Yeah house and car alarms going off all around the place. Some downpour that

Recent squall in North kildare with hail and thunder

If the squall I've just had in North kildare is in any way as strong when it arrives in Dublin imminently, we'll likely be getting a good few reports here. I reckon some tree branches and limbs were probably broken in the surrounding areas. Was really very very fierce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Hail and a single lightning strike just north of Newport, Mayo. Had some hail and sleet earlier too so a miserable aul day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Massive bang of Thunder in Galway now just had another one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Bright lightning west of Castlebar .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,880 ✭✭✭✭zell12

North Mayo getting severely walloped
    https://www.met.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Very dark clouds over D8 and further on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Saw two excellent fork lightning strikes a couple of minutes apart from Swords around 6pm. Happened to be looking in exactly the right direction both times :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

Hail shower at 17:50. I went out the back garden and the brightest flash and instant bang and crackling as a bolt flew right over my head. Frightened the ****e out of me. My boys came running downstairs because they seen the flash. Struck a tree stake 30m from the house.

What's your location? That's the exact time of the two big strikes near Swords!

okla wrote: »
    Hail shower at 17:50. I went out the back garden and the brightest flash and instant bang and crackling as a bolt flew right over my head. Frightened the ****e out of me. My boys came running downstairs because they seen the flash. Struck a tree stake 30m from the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

What's your location? That's the exact time of the two big strikes near Swords!

Lusk, north co Dublin.

Definitely one of the strikes I saw so, I was looking directly towards lusk from north side of swords!
    okla wrote: »
    Lusk, north co Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Getting some sferics in Northern counties. looks like some heavy rain going through.

Mz9vwzJ.png

PQpQkEo.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Getting some sferics in Northern counties. looks like some heavy rain going through.

Mz9vwzJ.png

PQpQkEo.gif

Definitely a feel of thunder in the air

ZX7R wrote: »
    Definitely a feel of thunder in the air

I see a nice bit of heat recorded today, creating some instability.

Just a few drops here earlier from high elevated blanket cloud, feels humid.

txint_uk_oye3.png

Fairly hefty thunderstorms broke out in the UK today with good diurnal heating and plenty of moisture in the atmosphere with Dp of 10 and 11 C in places. Just a slight chance of some sparks around SE and S coasts but low probability . See a band of heavy rain heading into the SE now.

temp_uk-14_fuy3.png

arpegeuk-5-5-0_hgo9.png

RDICC5W.png

cRpNCt2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Cell east of Wicklow sparking

CEF81976-E1-FA-433-E-A1-B0-556-F86-FEE6-C1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Watching out for it,haven't seen anything yet
    Strong NE gusting wind here in Arklow
    Sky is clear atm