Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Runes

Options
  • 29-06-2006 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Just asking if anyone here has any advice or experience with reading runes. Its something i felt drawn to many years ago and recently its been popping into my head again. I'm really interested in starting out, Tarot is something i like the idea of but i dont feel drawn to do it.

cheers,

6th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Elder futhark, Younger Futhark or Anglo Saxon ones?

I've been reading the Elder futhark for quiet a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Anglo Saxon was what i looked before but i've no experience with them. Any differences i should be aware of?

The Eldar futhark is a set of 24, the Younger is 16, and I think the AS one has around 30. I've worked exclusively with the Eldar futhark myself.

With having different numbers of runes, you're probably going to see some variation of meaning in the different runes.

I can probably talk a fair bit about the ins and outs of the Eldar futhark, but not really about the others.

well could you tell me how you've found the Eldar Futhark ones? what do you primarily use them for etc?

Ok i took some advice in The House of Astrology and went with this:

http://www.peculiarpebbles.co.uk/ShowDetails.asp?id=416

Opinions please?

• Advertisement

I use the runes mainly for divination, normally when asked to do a reading by someone.

I've never read any of Blums books, but have seen them in the shops. I started my own collection with Edred Thorssens earlier books, and have books by several others.

I've not got time to really go into any detail now, but I'll post some random thoughts on the runes later :) ... by that I just mean my own thoughts and theories on them.

look forward to reading them, cheers.

Ok, here's my rather disjointed thoughts and views on the runes ... expect this to wander around like a Billy Connolly routine ;)

We'll just start with divination, as that is where most people (to my knowledge) start out. Rather than repeating "to my knowledge" countless times, take everything here as just my thoughts and views.

There are a variety of different spreads can be done in runic divination, ranging from simple one rune and 3 rune (past, present, future) types, to ones involving the entire rune set, and a special casting cloth.

My particular favoured spread is Tyrs Arrow, a 7 rune spread that forms the Tiwaz rune itself (kinda).

One of the key things I tell people when I cast the runes is that what they show is not set in stone. "Always in motion is the future" as Yoda said. When I read, what I believe I get is the most likely outcome, given existing circumstances. The runes can show areas that can be influenced to strengthen or to change that outcome. Change the current circumstances, and you increase or lessen the chance of that given future occuring.

Does that make sense?

Some people use elaborate ceremony when reading. I don't. I simply kneel down where I am, and spread the runes face down on the floor. With my eyes closed I shuffle them around, so I can't know what any particular one is. I take a few moments to centre myself, them mentally say a few words about why I'm doing the reading (communing with my gods, if you will). I don't ask the person that I'm doing the reading for what their question is. This is a personal quirk of mine .. others may prefer to ask the subject.

Once I'm ready I pass my hand over the runes, and when I get a feeling from them, I pick that one. I draw the runes in sequence (normally 7 for my chosen spread), then arrange them in the proper layout. I turn them over, and explain to the person I'm doing the reading for the general meaning of each rune, the significance of the position in the spread, then give them an overall interpretation of the spread, and what I believe their question was. When they confirm the question, I can narrow down any specific stuff in the reading that may need clarification. I probably don't do readings more than once every few months.

Occasionally you get a reading that seems to make little sense (perhaps just a specific rune in a particular position that seems odd) but when the situation resolves, then it becomes very clear.

Each rune can have a variety of meanings. Raido (R) is a good one to illustrate this with ... its meaning is a journey, which can be physical, emotional, spiritual or what have you. The specific type of journey being refered to will be infered by the other runes than come up in the reading, and to some extent what feeling the reader gets. After a while, you get an idea for what is being told to you.

Now, when I do readings, I normally refer to about half a dozen different books. Although the meanings are broadly the same, different authors can sometimes focus on different aspects of the runes, or give greater or lesser importance to particular meanings. I find having a variety of sources to consult is very useful.

The reason that I started reading the runes goes back a good 10 years now. A friend of mine gave me a tarot reading, which was *very* accurate, and I decided I'd like to try that. I found a shop that had tarot decks, went in, wandered around but didn't find any that really appealed. They had more coming in the following week, so I decided to hold off till then. Following week came, went in, wandered around, still nothing particularly appealling. At the back of the shelf I came across a rune set .. book and runes, a beginners kit as it were. Something inside me just said "This is right". I picked those up, went off home with them, and have used them ever since.

If you feel that you're drawn to the runes, then trust your instincts. Oh, and if you have got a set already, dump the blank rune. Thats a recent invention. It has no place in the traditional rune set.

So ... questions? :)

Excellent thats just the kind of information I wanted ;)
    Once I'm ready I pass my hand over the runes, and when I get a feeling from them, I pick that one. I draw the runes in sequence (normally 7 for my chosen spread), then arrange them in the proper layout. I turn them over, and explain to the person I'm doing the reading for the general meaning of each rune, the significance of the position in the spread, then give them an overall interpretation of the spread, and what I believe their question was.

What is a "proper layout"?

Anyway just like you i did feel drawn to the rune as i had before but didnt act on it. I would love to get a reading done by someone, any recommendations? Would like to experience someone working them first hand.

I'm reading the book I got with my "beginners set" and looking throught the meanings i did feel that the blank one was pointless.

Thanks again.

6th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

6th wrote:
    What is a "proper layout"?

The same as those used in tarot the placement of the cards or runes in certain positions have a certain sigifier.

Like the 3 card/rune spread,
    the first factors from the past on the matter,
    the second where things are presently on the matter,
    the third theoutcome or factors that will effect the matter.

http://dionaea.com/fun/runes.php
    6th wrote:
    Anyway just like you i did feel drawn to the rune as i had before but didnt act on it. I would love to get a reading done by someone, any recommendations? Would like to experience someone working them first hand.

I have found that there are very few people who do used them.
    6th wrote:
    and looking throught the meanings i did feel that the blank one was pointless.

OK this has me sitting quiet frankly with my mouth open thinking dear gods above and below.
    I know there is some disagreement about the blank rune but personally I'd as soon leave it out then I would the Death card when using tarot.
    IT has it's place and meaning and is need as much as 0 is in maths.

The blank rune is also know as Odin's rune, or fate or Wryd.

• Advertisement

Sorry pointless was the wrong word, thanks for the advice though. I just meant taht i'd read that many sets dont contain a blank.

Thaedydal wrote:
    The same as those used in tarot the placement of the cards or runes in certain positions have a certain sigifier.

Like the 3 card/rune spread,
    the first factors from the past on the matter,
    the second where things are presently on the matter,
    the third theoutcome or factors that will effect the matter.

Yep, thats about it. As I said, my prefered rune spread uses 7 runes. It would take a little while to go through the actual layout.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    I have found that there are very few people who do used them.

Tarot does seem a lot more popular, but the runes felt right to me.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    OK this has me sitting quiet frankly with my mouth open thinking dear gods above and below.
    I know there is some disagreement about the blank rune but personally I'd as soon leave it out then I would the Death card when using tarot.
    IT has it's place and meaning and is need as much as 0 is in maths.

The blank rune is also know as Odin's rune, or fate or Wryd.

I don't know that it does. I've seen the arguements in favour of using the blank rune as a symbol of mystery, but pertho does that just as well.

All that I've read has indicated the blank rune to be a recent addition, and its not one that I feel fits.

To each their own though.

6th wrote:
    Excellent thats just the kind of information I wanted ;)

Cool.
    6th wrote:

I'm afraid I can't make any recommendations, as I'm about the only person I know that reads them :D

If you have a set now yourself, then just work with them. Draw one at a time, read up on its meanings, and see what you feel about it.

I've got a number of books by different authors, and while the core meaning of the runes tends to be the same across them all, each has their own particular take on it. You need to figure out what yours is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

Runes, tarot, tea-leaves, i-ching whatever you use, all divination tools are just that and your choice of which to learn with or what to use or not has only a bearing on how you relate to it.
    All tools of divination are only signals and symbols of the energies surrounding a certain situation.
    You need to choose a tool that speaks to you. With regard to subtlties like blanks etc. If what you go for now has them well then you need to use them. As you become more adept and understand the archetypal symbols then you can branch out into other forms, styles and traditions.
    The main focus of beginning to use any divinatory tool is to expand and develop your intuition and psycic functions, either to bring them to the surface or to use them in a new way (like learning to read music, you know how to read letters and now you use your eyes and language abilities in a new way to use it for a different focus)
    Basically, go with what you like for now, work with it for a while and then begin to look about more when you have mastered the tool you begin with.

Advertisement