Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

16-06-2019, 00:49   #61
magentur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleoperson View Post

If you did think you had a good reason to think a story was made up just either ignore it or state that. Don't come in like you're all chummy and laughing about it, try to act like an adult. There's nothing funny about making up a story.
Perfectly reasonable to make fun of illogical inconsistencies in a story one believes to be untrue rather that outright calling someone a liar.
Advertisement
16-06-2019, 00:55   #62
IAMAMORON

Go to bed Op, this thread is just made up nonsense. Columbo would have a field day, if you don't pay your TV license you won't get the chance to watch him ever again. Then you will definitely be sad.
16-06-2019, 01:15   #63
steph79

Hi , I pay monthly , I think it's only 13 quid a month , I doesn't really break the bank , and it does also go to other channels so it's helping the Irish tv industry , sure if you you don't watch TV or DVD or anything online then you shouldn't pay but if you say you're feeling anxious , maybe you should just pay and feel good again .
(2) thanks from:
16-06-2019, 01:24   #64
magentur

Evasion is much higher than official figures would indicate. The broadcast charge which everyone would have had to pay would have gone a long way to address that. I've never had a TV licence but if an inspector called to the door when I was home and I answered I would start paying. And to go though the level of anxiety and stress that the OP seems to be going through because of not paying seems ridiculous.
(2) thanks from:
16-06-2019, 01:43   #65
Fuaranach

They put a note in my door saying that there was nobody here, there is no licence registered at this address but our inspector saw evidence of a tv on the premises so please pay up or else.

I wouldn't mind but I have no subscription to any television service, which is overwhelmingly reality rubbish, commercial sport and commercials. Instead I just use the tv to cast stuff from the internet to the tv and that's all. Still, I paid the licence because, as said above, you need it for a tv set even if you have no tv stations. When this tv goes, I'll buy a screen that isn't capable of receiving a tv station and therefore will not have to buy a tv licence. But they'll probably have a new charge then.
Advertisement
16-06-2019, 01:48   #66
steph79

Maybe a reduced charge if genuinely only cast stuff from streaming and have no tv in the house say 90 euros , the level of compliance then may increase .
Thanks from:
16-06-2019, 01:49   #67
ToddyDoody

FYI I pay monthly too.

Will have to claim social welfare for a while to get my money back.
16-06-2019, 02:12   #68
Iamxavier

FREELOADERS, UNITE!!!
16-06-2019, 02:17   #69
chakademus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph79 View Post
Hi , I pay monthly , I think it's only 13 quid a month , I doesn't really break the bank , and it does also go to other channels so it's helping the Irish tv industry , sure if you you don't watch TV or DVD or anything online then you shouldn't pay but if you say you're feeling anxious , maybe you should just pay and feel good again .
This. Just pay dude.
Advertisement
16-06-2019, 02:28   #70
Ferajacka

Pay them a tenner each time they call not to report you.
Thanks from:
16-06-2019, 03:54   #71
antob

Quote:
Originally Posted by riclad View Post
IF you have a tv and they find out they can bring you to court,
whether you watch rte or not is irrelevant,
the tv license pays for rte staff, radio etc tg4,
not just for rte tv ,
they have at least 6 radio channels .
saorview broadcasts bbc,itv, etc , not just rte tv channels .
rte operates the broadcasting network and also has channels on sky tv,
it costs money to broadcast tv and radio and to run a tv transmission network all over the country.
BBC/ITV is not available on Saorview only on Freeview through a satellite dish which most installers will combine with a Saorview box. RTE/Saorview do not transmit UK tv through terrestrial transmitters.RTE is available on Sky ok but it needs a paid sub to Sky to receive it.

In response to op, I think the licence fee is too much for what we get and a lot of it is wasted on paying overpaid staff/presenters. But if your really that worried about that knock on door, just pay it or never answer door.
Thanks from:
16-06-2019, 04:40   #72
mikeecho

Quote:
Originally Posted by riclad View Post
they do not call after 6pm.
https://www.corkbeo.ie/culture/whats..._KVTIjpUl9UJII

- Monday - 4.00pm to 9.00pm

- Thursday - 4.00pm to 9.00pm

- Friday - 9.00am to 1.00pm
(3) thanks from:
16-06-2019, 05:40   #73
FanadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneemos View Post
This video has an inspector going to a judge to obtain a search warrant. 0.25

https://youtu.be/5A8hBHUYHd4
That was the biggest load of freeman crap I've ever seen. I'm going to bill you for the five minutes I wasted watching it
16-06-2019, 07:06   #74
_Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboi View Post
My husband was rude to one and the TV inspector got a warrant to search our house. We came home a few days later to find the gardai sitting outside our house. We drove on by in panic cos we didn't know why they were there. A few months later my husband was reporting his bike stolen and the Garda mentioned that there was a warrant outstanding for a TV licence search. We hadn't got a TV and we were sick and tired of telling them so hence the reason my husband was a tad rude to them.
It’s not just tv though.
It’s any device capable of receiving a signal or streaming a service online which covers laptops, tablets and I’d imagine smart phones.

“Capable of” is the important part, it doesn’t matter if you spend your time whittling sticks, if you own a device capable of receiving or streaming then you need a licence.

Are you saying you have no such device ??
How would you post on boards without such capable device?
16-06-2019, 08:07   #75
Eggs For Dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc2019 View Post
I paid mine by monthly direct debit- easy
In this modern age, you would think it would be easy to set it up online. No, you have to print off forms for completion and bring them to the post office. This is basic stuff
Thanks from:
Thread Closed