Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

15-06-2019, 21:31   #16
_Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srameen View Post
The Broadcasting Act 2009 states:

"146 (3) An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place."
That’s fair power for them.

So could they go into your house if the door was unlocked ?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-06-2019, 21:32   #17
touts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleoperson View Post
I've spent a long time searching trying to find this out and finally just said to hell with it, I'll ask here.

I'm expecting a visit from the friendly tv licence inspector some day and it's giving me a bit of anxiety. I keep hearing this thing about "can he look through the front window and see a tv", and the answer is not from a public area no. But could he reasonably walk around the side of the house and peer in?

I've heard of them being very persistent and aggressive, but he wouldn't have the gall to come up to the front window on my property and look inside with me and the tv in there would he? There is absolutely no public area such as the road he can see a tv from.

He would have to willfully go past the front door and walk along the side of the house until he came to the front window. Alternatively he could park in the driveway, get out of the car and look in. But if you're in a driveway uninvited you're already trespassing right?

Can they get a warrant to search the house on probable cause?
Contact a solicitor to defend your property rights. Also given the state of "anxiety" you are experiencing I'd say you should be due some serious compo.

Alternatively you could just pay your fair share and stop sponging off the rest of us.
15-06-2019, 21:36   #18
BarryD2

Quote:
Any strategies for getting them to piss off? For example would rudeness cause them to be more harsh or less likely to return?
They're just doing their job, like most people. Assuming you work, don't think you'd like the public to be thinking like that. Just pay the TV licence if you haven't and if you have a need too. If you don't have a need, invite them in and show them around, have a cup of tea.
(3) thanks from:
15-06-2019, 21:38   #19
paleoperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brian View Post
That’s fair power for them.

So could they go into your house if the door was unlocked ?
Where does it say anything about unlocked? I'm sure they can't cause damage but it says nothing about locked or unlocked.

It is a huge power as you said, seems like ridiculous legislation, how did that ever pass. With that power they could go into your bed if they claim they thought there was a tv in there. There must be more to it than that surely.

...so long as it's a "reasonable time" of course. God forbid they would be taking liberties with their powers by coming at some unreasonable time.
Thanks from:
15-06-2019, 21:39   #20
SEPT 23 1989

Can't rat if he is dead
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-06-2019, 21:40   #21
kneemos

Quote:
The Broadcasting Act 2009 states:

"146 (3) An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place."

Be surprised they can enter without permission. The Guards need permission to enter without a warrant,doubt they'd give An Post staff greater powers.
15-06-2019, 21:42   #22
Charles Babbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berties_Horse View Post
The TV licence inspector has to prove that live broadcasts are being watched. And when the warrant is obtained, they must be accompanied by a member of An Garda Siochána.

Which would represent a needless waste of public resources.

In Ireland, they need only show that you have suitable receiving equipment, although watching live broadcasts would be pretty good proof for this.
15-06-2019, 21:47   #23
kneemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneemos View Post
Be surprised they can enter without permission. The Guards need permission to enter without a warrant,doubt they'd give An Post staff greater powers.
This video has an inspector going to a judge to obtain a search warrant. 0.25

https://youtu.be/5A8hBHUYHd4
Thanks from:
15-06-2019, 21:49   #24
dxhound2005

Quote:
Where does it say anything about unlocked? I'm sure they can't cause damage but it says nothing about locked or unlocked.

It is a huge power as you said, seems like ridiculous legislation, how did that ever pass. With that power they could go into your bed if they claim they thought there was a tv in there. There must be more to it than that surely.

...so long as it's a "reasonable time" of course. God forbid they would be taking liberties with their powers by coming at some unreasonable time.
You shouldn't expect to get answers to legal questions here. And your personal views on the legislation is not relevant in any legal proceedings. It goes back to 1926, so has stood the test of time.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2...en/print#sec59
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-06-2019, 21:49   #25
mad muffin

Is this the same inspector that moonlights as a dog warden?
15-06-2019, 21:51   #26
paleoperson

After looking at the Broadcast Act 2009, where they say "an officer of an issuing agent" I think they mean a police officer. The "issuing agent" is from An Post, but he will have to bring a garda with him.
15-06-2019, 21:57   #27
Glass fused light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneemos View Post
Garda don't need a warrant or permission to enter if they are going to arrest someone and have 'reasonable suspicion' that the person is the home. They can even force entry for this.

So the real question is when will An Post be SWATing the OP.

Last edited by Glass fused light; 15-06-2019 at 22:01.
15-06-2019, 22:01   #28
Srameen

Quote:
After looking at the Broadcast Act 2009, where they say "an officer of an issuing agent" I think they mean a police officer. The "issuing agent" is from An Post, but he will have to bring a garda with him.
You think completely wrongly. The issuing agent is An Post and the licence inspectors are all agents of An Post. There is nothing in the legislation regarding the requirement for a Garda being present. An officer is an employee granted authority to act in the role of inspector.
15-06-2019, 22:07   #29
kneemos

Quote:
You think completely wrongly. The issuing agent is An Post and the licence inspectors are all agents of An Post. There is nothing in the legislation regarding the requirement for a Garda being present. An officer is an employee granted authority to act in the role of inspector.
So you're home having your tea and the TV Inspector walks into the kitchen?

No way dude.
Thanks from:
15-06-2019, 22:15   #30
Hal3000

The postman walks down my driveway and puts his hand in my letterbox, is that ok like?
Thread Closed