Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-06-2019, 19:05   #136
adox

Many funerals are live streamed these days as a matter of course.
Advertisement
14-06-2019, 19:21   #137
ArnoldJRimmer

I had never heard of this practice until last month when a relation died at home (I live in the US). A lot of larger cathedrals now have 24 hour streaming, so the elderly and infirm can watch/ attend mass. I'm not a religious man, but I found it comforting to be able to have some small part in the send-off, I think its a good idea in this instance too
14-06-2019, 23:35   #138
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbleRouser2k View Post
To me that's just strange. Usually if you couldn't make the funeral, you sent a card or a letter as a form of condolence.

And no, I've never heard of it being done. Barring Michael Jackson or Princess Diana's funerals.
I have. Just normal families. Lots of people have family in the Antipodes who can’t make it back at short notice. I think it’s a nice idea. It will become more common, I’m sure.
Thanks from:
14-06-2019, 23:41   #139
Mam of 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obvious Desperate Breakfasts View Post
I have. Just normal families. Lots of people have family in the Antipodes who can’t make it back at short notice. I think it’s a nice idea. It will become more common, I’m sure.
Our local Church live streams all it's services .
They will also provide a dvd of a funeral service if you wish to have it .
15-06-2019, 02:53   #140
padd b1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental Mickey View Post
There was plans for a film a few years ago, but it never materialised
Probably not enough money on offer to cooperate.
Advertisement
15-06-2019, 09:20   #141
RabbleRouser2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by padd b1975 View Post
Probably not enough money on offer to cooperate.
I remember there being lots of movies planned that didn't happen (A Jimi Hendrix one too that fell apart). The Irish Times has a decent, short article on it, from around 2004.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/us-a...life-1.1164401

I think the Sunday World did a LOT of articles about it too.

And then the movie hit the skids when Gary Dourdan (who was allegedly cast as Phil) got busted for drugs.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...080430?sp=true

I imagine that Dourdan, being the lead, was now a liability. A court case, insurance, and many other things, made the studio dicey.

But the movie stopped altogether when the remaining Thin Lizzy band members wanted the script entirely rewritten, because it was focusing too much on sensationalizing Phil's drug problems.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ic-387774.html

Probably didn't help that Walk Hard came out the year before the film was axed-that movie parodied music biopics, incredibly well.

Allegedly Omero Mumba was cast as young Phil. I call bull on that tho-the Mumba siblings always hyped themselves up for phantom, non-existent projects.
Thanks from:
15-06-2019, 09:28   #142
Ash.J.Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicorytip View Post
He was a talented musician and was generous to and supportive of other up and coming musicians like the Boomtown Rats and Gary Moore. He was also a feckless and irresponsible individual in his private life particularly in regard to the abuse of drugs. He died a chronic Heroin addict and never made any attempts to reform himself.This cannot be overlooked. Yet, we decide to erect a statue on Grafton Street in his honour. They named an airport after George Best as well - another individual with great talent who also possessed deep character flaws. All this does is glorify addiction and is symbolic of the deep hypocrisy that often exists at the core of Irish society.
Our media completely ignore every non mainstream act that visits Dublin. Most of them stop to get a photo at the statue.
15-06-2019, 09:30   #143
Ash.J.Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpink View Post
Was she a celebrity aswell?Was she well known for music or what
She was yeah I've seen her at a lot of gigs. Always supported young bands.
Thanks from:
15-06-2019, 10:26   #144
adox

There is a new documentary being made for cinema release made by Emer Reynolds, who made the excellent The Farthest.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/201...w-documentary/
Advertisement
15-06-2019, 11:03   #145
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
He was a talented musician and was generous to and supportive of other up and coming musicians like the Boomtown Rats and Gary Moore. He was also a feckless and irresponsible individual in his private life particularly in regard to the abuse of drugs. He died a chronic Heroin addict and never made any attempts to reform himself.This cannot be overlooked. Yet, we decide to erect a statue on Grafton Street in his honour. They named an airport after George Best as well - another individual with great talent who also possessed deep character flaws. All this does is glorify addiction and is symbolic of the deep hypocrisy that often exists at the core of Irish society.
Yeah, when I saw that statue of Lynott, I went out to find some smack straight away. And I hear that teachers extol the virtues of heroin to their classes on school tours when visiting the statue.
15-06-2019, 12:14   #146
RabbleRouser2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obvious Desperate Breakfasts View Post
Yeah, when I saw that statue of Lynott, I went out to find some smack straight away. And I hear that teachers extol the virtues of heroin to their classes on school tours when visiting the statue.
A flawed individual, for sure. Seems he pressurised himself to the point of destruction.

Everyone wants to be a rockstar, they forget its a business. Once you grab the audience, you gotta work yer butt off to keep em. Poor Phil gave into the pressures, and then having a family and wife to support, he dived deeper into drugs.
(2) thanks from:
15-06-2019, 12:22   #147

She seemed like a very decent woman, maybe too nice to take on her son about his addiction. May she Rest In Peace.
Thanks from:
15-06-2019, 12:37   #148
RabbleRouser2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Sixx View Post
She seemed like a very decent woman, maybe too nice to take on her son about his addiction. May she Rest In Peace.
Apparently she wasn't told how bad it was. Like, when he got sick, she knew his schedule and just thought he was ran down. (He'd been really sick during a Thin Lizzy tour before, overworked and pushing himself too far that he got hepatitis, which meant the tour had to be delayed, and really prevented them from becoming major rockstars).
Sadly, the band had to let her know that he was doing hard drugs, not just heavy marijuana (which she admitted to smoking as well).

She went to see him in hospital, and saw the track marks, the places in his legs, between the toes etc where he'd been injecting to hide the track marks (because if you want to wear short sleeve shirts, you don't inject in the arms).

She thought she could help him, take him home and help him recuperate... but a day or two later, Phil called for a priest to administer the last rites.

'Old Town' is one of the most confessional songs Phil ever wrote, frankly.

This boy is crackin' up
This boy has broken down
This boy is crackin' up
This boy has broke down

Philomena said when she listens to those lyrics-it's Phil essentially saying he's not long for this world. His drug problem had worsened, and 2 years later his marriage was over, and 2 years after that, his life was quenched.
15-06-2019, 22:52   #149
Mental Mickey

Quote:
The statue was for recognition of his contribution to to Irish music. Nothing to do with drugs
(2) thanks from:
16-06-2019, 00:53   #150
JP Liz V1

RIP

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size