Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vatican issues document rejecting idea that people can choose or change gender

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

"Vatican rejects idea people can choose or change genders"
    Fair's fair!
    "People reject idea Vatican can choose or change breads"

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

klaaaz wrote: »
    What's so amusing about transgender people that causes you to laugh at them?

Didn't say I laughed at them either.
    Brendan O'Carroll pretends to be a woman and I certainly don't laugh at him.

Men in drag have always been the subject of comedy especially old BBC material.
    Comedy can be something that's too incredible / ridiculous to fully accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Didn't say I laughed at them either.
    Brendan O'Carroll pretends to be a woman and I certainly don't laugh at him.

Men in drag have always been the subject of comedy especially old BBC material.
    Comedy can be something that's too incredible / ridiculous to fully accept.

Drag is not transgender.

Drag is not transgender.

But throw in some hormones and a few snips from a surgeon and what's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

What can you say anymore about the RCC. They are just determined to destroy themselves from the inside. Remember they control our schools.

The Vatican has issued an official document rejecting the idea that people can choose or change their genders and insisting on the sexual “complementarity” of men and women to make babies.

Pope Francis has repeatedly argued the position that people cannot choose their genders.
    The document called for a new alliance among families, schools and society to offer a “positive and prudent sexual education” in Catholic schools so children learn the “full original truth of masculinity and femininity”.

It called gender fluidity a symptom of the “confused concept of freedom” and “momentary desires” that characterise post-modern culture.

It rejected terms such as “intersex” and “transgender” and said the purpose of the biological “complementarity” of the male and female sex organs was to ensure procreation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/vatican-rejects-idea-people-can-choose-or-change-genders-1.3921015

Thank God. Some common sense at last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Thank God. Some common sense at last.

bigotry, actually

branie2 wrote: »
    bigotry, actually

Ah give over man. Lots of us are sick to death of listening to this crap.

Live and let live my hole.

And lots of us are sick of hearing about transgender people being called mentally ill, when they're actually not.

And lots of us are sick of hearing about transgender people being called mentally ill, when they're actually not.

Wow. Go them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Gender dysphoria is a recognised mental illness

• Advertisement

not by the WHO though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

not by the WHO though

It was in the DSM for decades until activists lobbied to have it removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Where do you think their dysphoria resides? In their liver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Dante7 wrote: »
    Where do you think their dysphoria resides? In their liver?
    Why not treat them just with psychiatric drugs so? It's part of it yes but recognised medically that it's not the full story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

It was in the DSM for decades until activists lobbied to have it removed.
    This is the exact same claim that people have made in the past about homosexuality being removed from the dsm... A working group concluded that moving to gender identity disorder and keeping the classification to maintain supports for the affected person made the most sense. Nothing to do with lobbyists, just that knowledge has changed.
    Where did I say laughed at and mocked ?
    There's a difference between regarding someone with amusement and laughing/mocking them to their face.

At most, I don't like the social media attacks on peoples reputation/career when the trans activists target them.

Some of the adjectives you leak like bitterness and sad are actually quite telling, you're projecting your own feelings.

In fairness, the fact you're amused by people who are transgender or have tourettes is a terrible reflection upon you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Believe it or not,.. there are millions upon MILLIONS of people who agree with and follow the Catholic churches teachings and believes. Spin that and twist that whatever way you want. It's not gonna change. Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Ok. (Prepares to be annihilated!)

This old Fogey can't keep up with all the definitions of sexuality that keep appearing.

*raises hand*

Me too

Urban dictionary is handy for all the unfamiliar words

America today, rest of world tomorrow

Believe it or not,.. there are millions upon MILLIONS of people who agree with and follow the Catholic churches teachings and believes. Spin that and twist that whatever way you want. It's not gonna change. Amen.

But very few in Ireland that will blindly follow everything as demonstrated by last two referendums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Hobosan wrote: »
    Have you accepted Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior?

That’s more Protestant tbh

batgoat wrote: »
    In fairness, the fact you're amused by people who are transgender or have tourettes is a terrible reflection upon you...

I'm also amused by your opinion of me and give it the same level of credibility and respect.

• Advertisement

I'm also amused by your opinion of me and give it the same level of credibility and respect.

Ignorance is nothing to be proud of.

This is the exact same claim that people have made in the past about homosexuality being removed from the dsm... A working group concluded that moving to gender identity disorder and keeping the classification to maintain supports for the affected person made the most sense. Nothing to do with lobbyists, just that knowledge has changed.

Definitely nothing to be amused about.

Ignorance is nothing to be proud of.

It's not.
    But I am well informed and capable of making up my own mind on the subject.
    Definitely nothing to be amused about.

People slipping on banana peels, cars being caught in the bus lane by the guards,
    men wearing dresses, peoples pant splitting... it's all in the same ballpark.

It's not.
    But I am well informed and capable of making up my own mind on the subject.

People slipping on banana peels, cars being caught in the bus lane by the guards,
    men wearing dresses, peoples pant splitting... it's all in the same ballpark.

People who have Tourettes are like people who slip on banana peels? People who identify as a different gender are too? Even though it's a very real thing... You sound neither well informed or like a nice person..

You sound neither well informed or like a nice person..

Demonizing people with other opinions is a classic denial tactic.
    Don't forgot to throw in "transphobe" too.
    Or maybe rebrand it to "trans-denier" as it hooks into the legitimacy of other terms like anti-vaxxers, anti-evolutionists and holocaust-deniers.

As a man I know no procedure on earth will transform me into a woman regardless of whatever self image I might have.

Demonizing people with other opinions is a classic denial tactic.
    Don't forgot to throw in "transphobe" too.
    Or maybe rebrand it to "trans-denier" as it hooks into the legitimacy of other terms like anti-vaxxers, anti-evolutionists and holocaust-deniers.

As a man I know no procedure on earth will transform me into a woman regardless of whatever self image I might have.

You're the guy who says he's amused by both transgender and people with Tourettes... I'm literally just saying how your statements come across...

You're the guy who says he's amused by both transgender and people with Tourettes... I'm literally just saying how your statements come across...

Welcome to human nature 101, at least for most men.
    Don't read the newspapers you'd probably faint in shock.

Cool, I'll just leave it at. I don't treat vulnerable people as objects of amusement. It's a pretty cruel view to take.

So says the person offended by people with tourettes or anyone who is different to his mighty wonderful self.

• Advertisement

Cool, I'll just leave it at. I don't treat vulnerable people as objects of amusement.

I don't treat them as objects of amusement either.
    There's a difference between opinions and behavior.
    So says the person offended by people with tourettes or anyone who is different to his mighty wonderful self.

I'm not offended by trans in general at all, only the trans activists who target people, celebrities even those in the health care sector who don't subscribe to their doctrine. People has lost contracts, jobs, businesses damaged etc.

Using social media and the legal system as a weapon against them.

Advertisement