Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aoife Dooley abused online after her article appeared in Junior Cert paper!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Also interesting how my reference to the 'dregs of After Hours' sent you off on one.

Yeah, a simple response is ‘sent off on one’. Looks like Aoife isn’t the only one prone to exaggeration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Also interesting how my reference to the 'dregs of After Hours' sent you off on one.

Can you two not just get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

_blaaz wrote: »
    Can you two not just get on?

Hey, it's not my fault that he saw the term 'dregs of After Hours' and immediately thought I was referring to him.

I mean, that's the last thing I wanted to happen. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Hey, it's not my fault that he saw the term 'dregs of After Hours' and immediately thought I was referring to him.

Would life not be easier,if everyone was just nicer to each other??

I actually assumed you were referring to yourself. Were you not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They are two well known mergers here and others go on phases of it.
    Shur I was told I was going to be raped and killed before from reregers!

After you banned them?

kowloon wrote: »
    After you banned them?

Might have that time he went off the rails and was almost stripped of his moderator role.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What the actual fück??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

At the risk of upsetting the meanie mafia I am forced to agree with the article... people who eat meanies on buses are poxes.
    Unless they offer you some.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Site Banned Posts: 1 dutru kugno

mad muffin wrote: »
    What the actual fück??? :confused:

this thread? yeah...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

kowloon wrote: »
    After you banned them?

Yes.
    I can ban people from After Hours so they still can PM.

A mod should probably know better than to start a thread with a woman's name in the title. Always brings out the absolute dregs of After Hours.

3c1572bc3ede7aa04e18065ad2b25e8553d22e557882505b6d87a7a7c71ff7f2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

We're going to get to the point where there'll be a concerted political effort to remove anonymity from the internet.

We're going to get to the point where there'll be a concerted political effort to remove anonymity from the internet.

People would need to make a concerted effort to be anonymous in the first place. Which they don't.

JayZeus wrote: »
    People would need to make a concerted effort to be anonymous in the first place. Which they don't.

They don't need to, it's the default setting.

They don't need to, it's the default setting.

And that right there just goes to prove the point. You're not anonymous, unless you take additional measures outside of 'default settings'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

3c1572bc3ede7aa04e18065ad2b25e8553d22e557882505b6d87a7a7c71ff7f2.jpg

No, I don't think that's fair at all. I think you come across quite badly on here (and you might wrongly feel similarly about my excellent posts), but I certainly wouldn't regard you as the absolute dregs of AH. :)

And that right there just goes to prove the point. You're not anonymous, unless you take additional measures outside of 'default settings'.

Not sure I get your meaning really. Everyone online is anonymous by design. Unless your name really is Jay and Mr and Mrs Zeus raised you.

What I'm saying is that some political group are going to use an incident to try and enforce the removal of such pseudonyms and screen names and to lobby for internet registration using your PPS number and what not. Fidelma Heally whats her face has already floated the idea and there's been headbangers in the states talking it up.

There'll be a big headline grabbing story where someone commits a big public ****show of online abuse and someone's going to use that as the springboard to go after a policy of real names being used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

She does seem to get bullied a lot online.

And always appears in news articles then complaining about it.

Seriously, she is looking to be in the public eye and this kind of thing is expected, but obviously not cool.

Imagine the abuse the healy raes get or dermot bannon etc.

And there's no way there's HUNDREDS of threats. Come on....

As for the deactivating social media, she has made them private, you can still send messages so it doesn't stop anyone abusing her.

somebody youve never heard of getting abused online is not noteworthy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Am I in the minority when I say that trolling by random strangers I've never and will never meet has just never phased me online? It's one thing to be cyberbullied by people you know in real life because that usually has horrible real-life consequences which extend after one puts down the phone or laptop - I'd imagine very few people who are cyberbullied by people they know in real life are not also bullied in person by those same people. But threatening, abusive or trolling messages from random strangers? Honestly it always just made me laugh.

I'm not excusing douchebags for being douchebags, I just find it strange that the separation between screen persona and physical persona has apparently shrunk to non-existent. In my life, there's Hatrickpatrick and there's Paddy, and someone sending Hatrickpatrick sh!t over the internet doesn't hurt Paddy emotionally in real life. Now, Paddy has all of the main social networks, and of those, his Twitter is publicly available while his Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram etc are "real-life friends only" - if a real life friend was to start being a piece of sh!t on any of these platforms, that'd probably upset Paddy a lot, and has in the past. If a random stranger starts being a piece of sh!t to hatrickpatrick (or to Paddy on his Twitter account), Paddy just reads the messages and either closes them or if appropriate, tries to conjure an amusing rebuttal one-liner. If some stranger makes a threat against Paddy or hatrickpatrick on any of these platforms, his reaction is just "Good luck finding out where I live, and even if you do, my dog isn't nearly as cute as she looks if you piss her off, good luck attacking me with several dozen kilos of labrador chewing on your ass" :D

My point is, am I in the minority in taking this view? I regard the concept of 'cyberbullying' as bullying by real-life contacts who also make one's life a misery in the physical realm (for example, school or college people starting rumours or whatever which results in social isolation or embarrassment in person, in the physical world). But I literally don't understand how anyone can be truly upset by the ramblings of random rabble rousers on the internet - surely if you don't know someone in real life and you've never met them, you have no real emotional connection to that person or desire to be liked by them? The poster directly above my post at the time of writing this is the user Odyssey06. I do not know this individual in real life, only as someone who posts on AH. If the next post from Odyssey06 were to say something like "hatrickpatrick is a fat, creepy little bollocks and I'm going to go to his house and kick the sh!te out of him", I'd just be like "...ok then? Good luck finding me sir/madam, and I may be a little rotund but I'm stronger than I look ;) "

It's in that context that I tend to be dismissive of this stuff. When did we start taking words written by random strangers we'll never meet as something to be emotionally invested in? There are seven billion people on this planet and I'll probably never meet more than a few hundred or thousand of them at best. If one of the few hundred of them I know and like were to threaten violence against me, that'd upset me and it might scare me. If one of the other 6.99 billion of them that I don't know threatens violence against me, they're just... Irrelevant strangers. Move message to spam folder and move on.

Look, I'm not defending the behaviour or suggesting that I have no sympathy for those who are actually emotionally hurt by the writings of strangers, I'm empathetic towards it insofar as I can be, I just don't understand it. They're strangers. You'll never meet. Who cares what brain farts they fire in your direction? You can't smell farts over the internet, like.

I agree. Imagine getting so offended by this that it supposedly affects you.

You could be playing fifa online and someone says they fcuked your mother and then you'd get all upset.

Not sure I get your meaning really. Everyone online is anonymous by design. Unless your name really is Jay and Mr and Mrs Zeus raised you.

What I'm saying is that some political group are going to use an incident to try and enforce the removal of such pseudonyms and screen names and to lobby for internet registration using your PPS number and what not. Fidelma Heally whats her face has already floated the idea and there's been headbangers in the states talking it up.

There'll be a big headline grabbing story where someone commits a big public ****show of online abuse and someone's going to use that as the springboard to go after a policy of real names being used.

I get you. My point is that we're not truly anonymous online. There's a digital fingerprint, ISP logging and so on. Be bad enough and there's a very good chance of being identified by the authorities. No issues with that, personally.

Having to use verified real names? I really can't see how that could be implemented globally, across all the current and future platforms and tech stacks and so on.

But okay, I take your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I should be famous. I could totally handle the abuse from strangers. Why only the other day my dad called me an absolute deadbeat and to move out of the house - bless him...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hal3000 wrote: »
    I should be famous. I could totally handle the abuse from strangers. Why only the other day my dad called me an absolute deadbeat and to move out of the house - bless him...

That may have been warranted to be fair. We know neither you or your Dad.

The abuse from strangers when it is undeserved or base purely on subjective opinions is probably a bit more galling.

That may have been warranted to be fair. We know neither you or your Dad.

The abuse from strangers when it is undeserved or base purely on subjective opinions is probably a bit more galling.

no it isn't, both because of the factors you mention and the fact that they are internet strangers

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

I wondered why I recognised her name. She stuck herself into that bloggers unveiled debacle last year when people thought they had figured out who BU was. She had epic long insta stories about it. I couldn’t make head nor tail of it to be honest. She seems to have plenty of enemies online and I doubt they are junior cert students. She might also be her own worst enemy? Has she another book coming out or anything?

No, I don't think that's fair at all. I think you come across quite badly on here (and you might wrongly feel similarly about my excellent posts), but I certainly wouldn't regard you as the absolute dregs of AH. :)

The fact that there's a woman's name in the thread title has SFA to do with how people are responding here, in a manner you may well object to, but to which everyone has the same right to participate and have their say as you do.

My take?

Aoife Dooley is trying to turn an admittedly unpleasant and potentially distressing situation into an opportunity to capitalise on the publicity, playing the victim and bolstering her public profile. I don't like that. It's disingenuous and all the noise generated by self-serving attention hounds is numbing us to the plight of people who face credible threats of violence and real intimidation.

You may well try to seize upon this phrase, but while she's not at all asking for any of this (the dick pics and vapid 'rape threats', from 15 year old dopes, ffs), she chose a career that put her out there in the public sphere. It's unfortunate for her that she's been landed with this but her over-reaction is irritating. It's just one more in an ongoing stream of people playing up their hyped up trouble and strife and looking to turn a pretty minor incident into a full blown PR extravaganza. And there will always be those soft-touch fools who are only too happy to buy into it, to support the overblown hysteria, to convince themselves they're doing something good by talking and taking seriously something which is basically a non-event.

In a weeks time almost everyone will still be scratching their heads and wondering, who is Aoife Dooley again?

Not a nice few days for her I'm sure and at a basic level of course I'd prefer for this not to have happened, but people need to cop on and stop making mountains out of molehills. Report it to the Gardaí and let them do their jobs, let them deal with it.

As I've told you before, you don't have to like, agree with or accept anything I or anyone else here might post, but you should certainly learn to accept that every one of us can hold opposing views to your own without being labelled as the dregs of AH just because they're not the same as your own views.

And as you may have quessed, I have of course formed my own opinions about you based on what you post, but I don't feel the need to express that opinion about you or any other poster in the way you did. Give it over with the sly digs. Say what you have to say via PM, or just ignore me. I find the latter works quite well where you're concerned, most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

I wondered why I recognised her name. She stuck herself into that bloggers unveiled debacle last year when people thought they had figured out who BU was. She had epic long insta stories about it. I couldn’t make head nor tail of it to be honest. She seems to have plenty of enemies online and I doubt they are junior cert students. She might also be her own worst enemy? Has she another book coming out or anything?

I knew the name vaguely rang a bell, and I am far from an expert on these things.
    I was thinking it was something to do with that whole Bloggers Unveiled story alright.
    Not sure how all of that ended up either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

rusty cole wrote: »
    so if a non autistic man wrote such a piece referencing his disgust of same passengers, using the same terminology, we'd be having a discussion about how the leaving cert is now printing bully type hate speech!!
    Would "we"?
    BUT...because she's autistic and female perhaps, it's ok, it;s just a form of cultural satire then maybe ...:rolleyes:
    Why so hostile re women?

And where is this "all over the airwaves" stuff about hate crime by Sinead Burke?

Not a fan of this "blogging" malarkey, I don't think it's good writing, and I think it's cringey "let's get down with the kids" stuff to be putting it on an exam paper where writers of classics would usually be. But that kind of online abuse - what tf is wrong with those kids to be that venomous over a few words? The fashion here though - like the Sinead Burke incident - is to pretend the person on the receiving end is the one in the wrong, and even to get quite angry about empathy being shown to them... particularly if they're female. Because that's what ya gotta do to show how non cuck and non pussy you are. (Apart from of course when pretending to care so much about women's treatment by islamists - then it's all about the women's rights).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

I call bull****. Show the pics or messages or f@@k off

Advertisement