Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-12-2018, 22:10   #61

What is the relevance of this sad story.

It harks back to a time when times in rural Ireland were very poor and no one got an education. What happened then is what happens now in Muslim countries, in some of these countries you will be stoned to death for being seen with a man who isnt related, you might as well kill yourself quickly if you ever found yourself pregnant and unmarried, your own family would literally throw petrol on you and set you on fire. Bad and all as it was in Ireland the Priest never had as much control as the Imans and Irish people did eventually throw off the shackles when we joined the European Union and when free education was introduced.

Why is the church being blamed for Peggys child ending up in an institution, she had nine Aunts and Uncles and maybe sixty first cousins, why didnt any of them give her a home. She would have gone to an institution because there was no where else to go once her Grandparents died.

Lets move on and leave this stuff in the past. Lets leave the Tuam babies were they are too and not spend trillions of taxpayers money moving them. I know Zappone is beside herself thinking of all the photo oportunities digging up the bodies will provide her but lets face it none of the families cared about these babies either, thats why they ended up in Tuam too.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-12-2018, 22:25   #62
Sweetemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odhinn View Post
To speak against the Church was to invite the church to speak against yourself. Having been there and done that I can safely say that had I known how much damage that was going to do to me in terms of work opportunities in particular I would have kept my gob shut.

The same thing is still happening today but it's not church this time. Go against this msm liberal bull and you could see your work opportunities severely damaged also.

The same people keeping their gobs shut back then, would be the same as the people keeping their gobs shut now. No difference.
31-12-2018, 00:25   #63
markodaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuaranach View Post
Who are the pariahs of Irish society in 2018

The church

Quote:
and who are the thugs and bullies of Irish society in 2018?
The media
(2) thanks from:
31-12-2018, 00:29   #64
markodaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
Don't kid yourself.

The rcc had absolute spiritual and temporal power over its congregations

The rcc could damn you to hell

The rcc could have your children removed by the organs of the state with the flick of a finger

The rcc demanded a weekly and yearly tax off each and every family

Only the church could marry and bury you if you were a Catholic

The rcc controlled the availability of contraception with the conivence of the state

If anyone stood against the rcc - it had the ability to destroy those peoples lives, careers and reputations

We were taught about the power of the landed gentry and landlords in school

Once the landlords left - the rcc clergy stepped in and took their place. The priests lived in the biggest houses and had fine horses and the big motorcars. They had housekeepers and servants whilst the majority of the population lived in poor houses with few if any conveniences.

Above all they could not be questioned and were unquestionably believed by the Gardai and state bodies

What power did any citizen have to stand up against denizens such as these?
A lot of this is not true in fairness.
(4) thanks from:
31-12-2018, 00:48   #65
tatranska

I love all the mock indignation from people about how Peggy was treated by people who didn't know of her existence 25 hours ago.

What's the motives of the OP who never told us this story in the last 8 years of their presence on Boards?

As shocking as the story is, it's just another attempt to have a go at God, who btw never condoned what the RCC did but everyone has free will.
As another poster said, what happened her family and the families not all the women sent to laundries. They allowed it and agreed with the system.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-12-2018, 01:00   #66

I have to laugh at little people getting offended. Your institution is malignant. Own it at least.
31-12-2018, 01:24   #67
Sweetemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnyThePoo View Post
I have to laugh at little people getting offended. Your institution is malignant. Own it at least.
And I laugh at people like you. Thinking you're so enlightened when all you are is an NPC acting progressive when in reality all you're doing is just keeping the status quo.
31-12-2018, 01:28   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetemotion View Post
Quote:
And I laugh at people like you. Thinking you're so enlightened when all you are is an NPC acting progressive when in reality all you're doing is just keeping the status quo.
Npc?

National primary school council?

This is amazing. Tell me more.
(2) thanks from:
31-12-2018, 01:31   #69
fiestywonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliebin30 View Post
They had taxis in 1946?

Learn something new everyday.
Oh yes, as far back as the 1800s the taxi model was intriduced to ireland by a man named Charles Bianconi. These were horse drawn carriages which had established routes and a person could reserve a place by throwing their overcoat down on a seat. I'm not sure though if they asked the rider what were they busy tonight and what time were they on till.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
31-12-2018, 01:36   #70
Sweetemotion

Quote:
Npc?

National primary school council?

This is amazing. Tell me more.
All you want is for people like you and you conformed into the new radical mainstream. If you were born in Nazi Germany you'd be a Nazi. If you were born in communist Russia you'd be a communist, if you were born in South America during Jim crow you'd be a kkk member.

You're a conformist nothing more or nothing less.

Last edited by Sweetemotion; 31-12-2018 at 01:43.
(2) thanks from:
31-12-2018, 01:46   #71

"Every single person" did not know what was going on.

There were definitely some non clergy who held a level of responsibility (e.g. the parents who shoved their daughter into a laundry) but certainly not all (e.g. the impoverished widow or widower whose children were taken off them "for their own good").
31-12-2018, 01:48   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Very revealing post on many levels
It reveals that they stood up to the church in some capacity and it backfired. What are the many other levels?
31-12-2018, 01:58   #73
Suckit

Did anything else happen in 1946?
31-12-2018, 03:59   #74
hatrickpatrick

Honestly, does anyone else think that at least some of the utter contempt for humanity displayed by members of religious orders is tied to the celibacy thing? That either (a) they're so bitter and jealous that they have to suppress their own sexuality that it fills them with rage to see others enjoying theirs, or (b) that prolonged sexual frustration (assuming many of them followed the church's ridiculous prohibition on masturbation as well) just leads to chronic cranky c*ntishness?

I genuinely find it so, so bizarre trying to wrap my head around how any of these people managed to go from the word of Christ to the twisted ideology they ended up inflicting on society. Sure, there are always a certain number of psychopaths, sadists and assholes in every group of humans, but these people ostensibly became members of religious orders specifically because they believed in that religion.

It makes no sense to me that anyone could genuinely believe in the religion, while simultaneously genuinely believing that this sort of behaviour towards their fellow humans was acceptable. Jesus himself literally condemned it outright in not one but several different parts of the gospels - not the apostles, not a pope, not a prophet, but Jesus himself. The man whose words are supposed to take absolute primacy over anyone else's when it comes to what counts as a Christian belief and what does not.

It genuinely makes no sense to me at all. It's as utterly ridiculous as if someone founded a movement specifically dedicated to being teetotal and abstaining from alcohol, and then thousands of years later, hundreds of people claim to follow that movement and hold the word of its founder sacred above all else, while being raving alcoholics who are never seen without a drink in their hand.

How did it happen? How did any of these people believe that their actions were a faithful representation of the ideology they supposedly held sacred? Or is it simply the case that many priests and nuns didn't actually give a sh!t about religion and joined their orders because their families pressured them, or they couldn't get another job and it seemed like an easy lifestyle, or something else?

Can anyone offer an insight at all into how such a huge disconnect manifested between the belief system and the horrific actions of those who ostensibly cared more about that belief system than anything else?
31-12-2018, 06:22   #75
markodaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
There was only ONE state religion at that time and it's power was absolute.
This followed by..

Quote:
You really don't have a clue ...
..this

I hope you are talking about yourself.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size