Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-08-2017, 10:58   #16
judeboy101
Banned

Problem is, when you see the devastation caused by the swine flu jab, their arguments are not too crazy

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/co...lepsy-flu.html
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-08-2017, 11:00   #17
Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeboy101 View Post
Problem is, when you see the devastation caused by the swine flu jab, their arguments are not too crazy

Did you read to the end of that?

Quote:
In response to the events in Europe, CDC reviewed data from the U.S. Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) and the Vaccine Safety Datalink (VSD) and found no indication of any association between U.S.-licensed H1N1 or seasonal influenza vaccine and narcolepsy.

In 2014, CDC published a study on the association between 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccines, 2010/2011 seasonal influenza vaccines, and narcolepsy. The analysis included more than 650,000 people who received the pandemic flu vaccine in 2009 and over 870,000 people who received the seasonal flu vaccine in 2010/2011. The study found that vaccination was not associated with an increased risk for narcolepsy.
25-08-2017, 11:00   #18
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeboy101 View Post

what does this have to do with opposition to the MMR vaccine? I doubt most anti-vaxxers have even heard of the H1N1 vaccine.
Thanks from:
25-08-2017, 11:02   #19
bluewolf
Category Moderator

I agree that they are dangerous
Thanks from:
25-08-2017, 11:03   #20
tigger123

The parents are making bad decisions based on scientifically unfounded concerns, and jeopardizing the health of their kids. Its pretty awful.

All based on ****e they read on their FB feed.
Advertisement
25-08-2017, 11:04   #21
Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger123 View Post
The parents are making bad decisions based on scientifically unfounded concerns, and jeopardizing the health of their kids. Its pretty awful.

Google took action recently to make sure that accurate results appear for searches on vaccines. Until then if you searched for "Are vaccines bad" you would get loads of dodgy results.
25-08-2017, 11:04   #22
ohnonotgmail

Quote:

well if it was only the health of their own kids they were affected that would be bad enough. They are also affecting the health of kids who cannot have the MMR vaccine and depend on herd immunity. They are putting in danger the lives of children who already have medical problems.
25-08-2017, 11:06   #23
LirW

When my son went to Kindergarten in Austria I found out that 50% of all kids didn't have the most necessary shots (you need to provide the information when you put the name down). That was somewhat shocking. At some point they had chicken pox going through all the rooms, it was awful because almost every kid caught it. It really showed how fast this spreads and it's concerning to think there might be something going around in the same pace that's more serious than chicken pox.
25-08-2017, 11:08   #24
VinLieger

Forced vaccination laws are a slippery slope, doing similar to Australia and not allowing kids attend public schools without them or even holding back certain benefits is the way to go
Advertisement
25-08-2017, 11:10   #25
tigger123

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinLieger View Post
Forced vaccination laws are a slippery slope, doing similar to Australia and not allowing kids attend public schools without them or even holding back certain benefits is the way to go
It's an excellent way to tackle it: 'If you're going to put the population of the school at risk, you're not welcome.'
25-08-2017, 11:12   #26
Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LirW View Post
When my son went to Kindergarten in Austria I found out that 50% of all kids didn't have the most necessary shots (you need to provide the information when you put the name down). That was somewhat shocking. At some point they had chicken pox going through all the rooms, it was awful because almost every kid caught it. It really showed how fast this spreads and it's concerning to think there might be something going around in the same pace that's more serious than chicken pox.
CDC recommend a chicken pox vaccine.
https://www.cdc.gov/features/prevent...pox/index.html

Quote:
Most children with chickenpox completely recover. But it can be serious, even deadly, especially for babies, pregnant women, adolescents, adults, and people with weakened immune systems. Make sure everyone in your family is up to date on their chickenpox vaccinations.

Chickenpox is a very contagious disease. Someone can get it if they have never been vaccinated or had chickenpox. Chickenpox causes a blister-like rash, itching, tiredness, and fever. This leaves a person feeling very sick and uncomfortable, and may cause sick people to miss a week or more of school or work.

Chickenpox can be serious. Before there was a vaccine, each year chickenpox caused about 4 million people to get sick, more than 10,500 hospitalizations, and about 100 to 150 deaths. Most people who get severe chickenpox are healthy beforehand. Read about a healthy teenager who got chickenpox and died.
I've had chickenpox twice. Once as a kid and once as a 18 year old. The second time I had about one blister per square inch including on the inside of my throat. The blisters burst and went septic. I needed liquid antibiotics and survived on ice cream for three days because I couldn't swallow whole foods.

Kids need to be vaccinated against this stuff.
25-08-2017, 11:14   #27
xzanti

Below is an excerpt from the Centre for Disease Control website. I just randomly picked the HPV vaccine, but the advice is similar for most of the vaccines.

I'm not an "anti-vaxxer". My son is vaccinated fully. But I would ponder why there is no allergy test for kids before the vaccines are given. They appear to acknowledge that some are susceptible to allergic reaction. But how are we to know if we're going to have a "life threatening reaction" to a vaccine, if you've never had it before?

I would akin it to handing out peanuts to a class full of kids, who've never had peanuts, without some sort of patch test first.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j...ORNWItttJv7VuA

Quote:
HPV (Human Papillomavirus) vaccine
Some people should not get this vaccine.
Anyone who has had a severe (life-threatening) allergic reaction to a dose of HPV vaccine should not get another dose.
Anyone who has a severe (life threatening) allergy to any component of HPV vaccine should not get the vaccine.
Tell your doctor if you have any severe allergies that you know of, including a severe allergy to yeast.
HPV vaccine is not recommended for pregnant women. If you learn that you were pregnant when you were vaccinated, there is no reason to expect any problems for you or your baby. Any woman who learns she was pregnant when she got HPV vaccine is encouraged to contact the manufacturer’s registry for HPV vaccination during pregnancy at 1-800-986-8999. Women who are breastfeeding may be vaccinated.
If you have a mild illness, such as a cold, you can probably get the vaccine today. If you are moderately or severely ill, you should probably wait until you recover. Your doctor can advise you.
This information was taken directly from the HPV VIS
25-08-2017, 11:16   #28
endacl

Quote:
Jeapordizing the health of their own kids is one thing. Jeapordizing the healthy of somebody else's immuno-compromised kid is unconscionable.
25-08-2017, 11:17   #29
LirW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
CDC recommend a chicken pox vaccine.
https://www.cdc.gov/features/prevent...pox/index.html

I've had chickenpox twice. Once as a kid and once as a 18 year old. The second time I had about one blister per square inch including on the inside of my throat. The blisters burst and went septic. I needed liquid antibiotics and survived on ice cream for three days because I couldn't swallow whole foods.

Kids need to be vaccinated against this stuff.
Over there it wasn't recommended back then, therefore you have to pay for it on your own. But when so many haven't any shots at all, you can't expect people to get that one that isn't paid for. It's unbelievable.
Thanks from:
25-08-2017, 11:19   #30
alchemist33

The annoying thing about the MMR scandal is that it took Andrew Wakefield being found guilty of misconduct by the GMC to really convince most of the public that the MMR was safe. Before that the MMR/autism thing was a mainstream belief despite there being no credible evidence for it. Wakefield made a name for himself on chatshows on the back of a study involving 12 children, which is absolutely tiny and unscientific to base such an important claim on. There were studies involving thousands which refuted it (I researched this before I had my first child vaccinated) which showed no link but a charismatic man, a scare study and a conspiracy theory somehow seemed to hold more weight with a lot of people. Only for the fact Wakefield went much further than making a spurious claim, and was caught, he'd still be lauded as an anti-establishment hero by some.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion