Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

in fairness, unless you've been away, or living under a rock....

It's this little thing called the Olympics. You might have heard of it
    lawred2 wrote: »
    pfffft

not being informed is your problem I'm afraid
    dixiefly wrote: »
    Yes, I am just passing on the information.

I am not going to spoon feed you. If you dont know who Pat Hickey is then this is of no interest to you. If you dont want to "do all the work" then dont. I couldn't care less.:)

So it IS ok to just dump news articles in AH without any context, explanation or opinion. Right, the charter is obviously wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alive1

I wonder is he innocent until proven guilty ?

Sadly, it is a fact that many involved in sport in Ireland have been aware of the Hickey family for some and their tie up with Evans , Collins and others.
    He is as innocent as CJ Haughey was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

LordSutch wrote: »
    Oh :(

Well I don't care what you say, I enjoyed future husband & wife 'Trott & Kenny' kissing and cuddling after their fantastic wins in the Velodrome, so there, I felt good.

Great stuff, I'm sure the rest of country didn't give a toss about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

This is more great news for Lord Ross as he can extend his Olympic Holidays for as long as he likes, better for everyone if they took him away too.

Pat, how are you able to post from police custody?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

eigrod wrote: »
    BBC reporting Police said he tried to escape when they came for him :D

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37107450

And he has taken to the sick bed :D

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

So it IS ok to just dump news articles in AH without any context, explanation or opinion. Right, the charter is obviously wrong.

I think in this case yes but just to help you along I'll send you on some homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

According to Brazilian newspaper Estadao, Hickey, also President of the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI), was arrested this morning at his hotel here in Rio.

The 71-year-old was also reportedly taken to hospital after being taken ill at the time he got arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

jesus who gives a siht!!

click the link to read it or dont... no one cares, anyone who has picked up a paper, listened to the radio or is sentient at the moment knows whats going on in Rio.

he was arrested, reason not released by Brazilian coppers yet.

press conference at 1:30pm irish time.

commentators are linking it to the ticket scalping over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its great news, especially as Hickey has anointed John Delaney as his successor at the OCI in 2020. That appointment will get brought forward now and we will finally see Delaney gone from the FAI. Every cloud and all that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gas stuff, Bet Hickey isn't giving Minister Ross the oul bodyswerve now

"please meeeet meee!!"

As Shane high tails it ta f**k outta dodge on an air corps jet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Can't say I feel one bit sorry for him. Corrupt twat.

Some bhoy
    Police say Mr Hickey, who also heads the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI), tried to escape when they came for him.
    They say he slid his Olympic pass under the door when police came knocking and fled into the adjacent hotel room, where his son had been staying until recently.
    After he was arrested he was taken ill and received medical attention, reports say.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37107450

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

smash wrote:
    Good for you. I'm not the only person to not know who he is or what's been going on with him.

Walk away chief

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alive1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its great news, especially as Hickey as annointed John Delaney as his successor at the OCI in 2020. That appointment will get brought forward now and we will finally see Delaney gone from the FAI. Every cloud and all that.....
    Presuming Delaney is not involved.
    PRO 10 are a predominantly soccer agency and have never sold a ticket in their existence , and Marcus Evans who has a warrant out on him by the Brazilians made his fortune as a ticket scalper and is/was the owner of Ipswich Town FC.
    Lots of soccer involvement in this scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What a ****ing embarrassment for the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I hope he rots in jail!!!

A lot of hate being expressed here. We actually don't know what happened about those tickets. Furthermore, there is zero evidence to date that Pat Hickey was involved in anything corrupt.

So, we are supposed to be a Republic, with values such as 'innocent until proven guilty'.

How about not being this mans judge, jury and executioner just yet. I am sure he has a very worried family and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Great Olympics all round really

One for the ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

I had better remember not cross Shane Ross........

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My wife was asking me what the whole story about this was and why the OCI were apparently "stonewalling" the government. I told her it's probably because the OCI has been found out running a scam and has probably been doing it for years.

To be fair, it's not an Irish thing. Sporting organisations have flown under the radar for years because they were largely considered somewhat altruistic and benign small players.

FIFA was just the tip of the iceberg; the amount of money flowing through these organisations has drawn corrupt people to them for years and they've been getting away with murder. Probably literally in some cases.

Interesting to see who else gets implicated in this mess. Will it drag down other organisations like the FAI?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

LorMal wrote: »
    A lot of hate being expressed here. We actually don't know what happened about those tickets. Furthermore, there is zero evidence to date that Pat Hickey was involved in anything corrupt.

So, we are supposed to be a Republic, with values such as 'innocent until proven guilty'.

How about not being this mans judge, jury and executioner just yet. I am sure he has a very worried family and children.

You think the police in Brazil arrested him due to having zero evidence??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its great news, especially as Hickey has anointed John Delaney as his successor at the OCI in 2020. That appointment will get brought forward now and we will finally see Delaney gone from the FAI. Every cloud and all that.....

Is that how they are chosen? Hand picked by the one leaving the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wonder is he innocent until proven guilty ?

Of course he is but lets just say he has form regarding corruption in the IOC

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1011164/hickey-dismisses-rio-2016-ticket-corruption-allegations-from-romario

http://middleeasttransparent.com/en/the-iocs-pat-hickey-the-mafia/

This is AH, high horses not allowed here. :D

madalig12 wrote: »
    You think the police in Brazil arrested him due to having zero evidence??

Very possibly - as part of an investigation. You don't know, I don't know. Not every Irish person who has been arrested abroad is guilty (as we know all too well)

This is AH, high horses not allowed here. :D

You a mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I have a feeling most people in Ireland really don't give a fiddlers either way how well the british team are doing.It's not really anything that we should feel good about.

Not a fiddlers indeed. Of course we can learn about focusing money on certain events such as cycling or rowing if getting more medals is our aim. We won't hear about Laura Trott or her partner again for another 4 years at least so they are of no benefit to Irish people.

You a mod?

no, but having fun in AH is what AH is about :D:D

Relax my friend :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Damien360 wrote: »
    I wonder will the Brazilian judges accept "I'm feeling sick like our guys do"
    Further reports online have suggested that moments after his arrest Hickey complained of feeling ill and has been taken to a local hospital.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/live-olympic-council-of-ireland-president-pat-hickey-arrested-in-brazil-750161.html

Floppybits wrote: »
    Ross must be wetting himself laughing.
    If he has any sense he will be on a flight home now before Hickey starts naming manes of everyone he knows(whether involved or not) to get himself out of the sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He wasn't arrested in Ireland. And are you saying that you know better than the Brazilian authorities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He could do an Irish style Ronnie Biggs.

Advertisement