Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baked anything tasty lately?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Not sure if this counts as baking...

First attempt at making wholemeal flatbreads / roti.

Not too bad, just wholemeal flour and water. But they weren't soft enough to use as a wrap.

Must try again with yoghurt. Would baking powder help them bubble up?

I make chapatis with just flour (chapati flour, though. It's not as finely round as regular flour, but not wholemeal either) and water. The trick I was shown was to brush them with melted ghee or butter right after they come out of the pan, to keep them soft.
    They bubble up all by themselves, though. It could be your dough was too dry?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Shenshen wrote: »
    I make chapatis with just flour (chapati flour, though. It's not as finely round as regular flour, but not wholemeal either) and water. The trick I was shown was to brush them with melted ghee or butter right after they come out of the pan, to keep them soft.
    They bubble up all by themselves, though. It could be your dough was too dry?

Cheers, I'll try that. Going to attempt them again, and play around with different flours. I don't mind them being as they are actually, as I usually just eat roti with dahl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Mini Victoria Sponge cakes
    Some are strawberry compote and some are lemon curd to keep everyone happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Mini Victoria Sponge cakes
    Some are strawberry compote and some are lemon curd to keep everyone happy.

OMG I would devour one of those now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Another gluten free cake - best one I’ve made yet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just out 5 minutes ago...... 75% Strong white / 25% Coarse Wholemeal.
    Is6S4Wdl.jpg

k6CpEaTl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Salted caramel cupcakes with chocolate mascarpone icing and crushed (Tesco) honeycomb pieces (new to the aisle when wandering around shopping this week).

First time trying this piping style. Thought it looked meaner on the amount of icing than the swirl but after eating I was happy with the ratio. Really like the aesthetic too.

483231.jpg

483232.jpg

483233.jpg

Trying to get the practice in with mascarpone icing, finding it very finicky! I whip the double cream with icing sugar (and in this case cocoa powder) and vanilla essence. And this time I then whipped in the mascarpone cheese - but very cautiously. Whip (on lowest setting, but still seems speedy!), stop and move things around with a spatula, whip again, stop, etc. Worked out well. But I've had it turn very quickly on me in the past - blink and it's goop!

🤪

bjlwdXWl.jpg

pwiWaG8l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Planet X wrote: »
    Yum!

Gosh I love coffee cake. I also love the implication that the cake just magically made itself when you put the ingredients close to each other :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

#Planet X where did you find the Irel? Couldn't get it anywhere, ended up buying Camp which is horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭phormium

I love coffee cake and that looks good!

Is that a seriously old bottle of Irel? :) It's been off the market for years.

I use Camp, it's basically the same, I remember comparing the ingredients when I couldn't get any more Irel and the labels were identical, so much so that I thought it had just been rebranded Camp.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    #Planet X where did you find the Irel? Couldn't get it anywhere, ended up buying Camp which is horrible.

Dunnes......have another bottle of it aswell. Not always in stock so I usually buy a few.

I put a shot of proper espresso in the sponges and butter icing. Swings it ;)

I threw out the Camp. Went back to using very very very strong instant coffee. About 3 heaped teaspoons in 1-2 tablespoons of hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Took a baking break for a while but back today. Got word that my brother got the keys to his house so a quick check to make sure I had all the ingredients and then made this vanilla sponge from Jemma in bigger bolder baking. It is SO light and fluffy but still very structurally sound for layering and decorating. Filled with local strawberry jam and vanilla Italian meringue buttercream for inside and outside too. Was very tasty and went down a treat! Two 7in cakes layered fed 16 people easily with some left to spare :)

483359.jpeg

That's really odd, I actually contacted the former makers of Irel coffee, Johnsons, recently on foot of another discussion elsewhere and basically they confirmed they stopped making it several years ago. Is there a use by date on that bottle? You might have bought it a lot longer ago than you think :)

Mind you I wouldn't care what date it said, that stuff never goes off and I had a bottle for about 5 yrs in the press.

I like real coffee in the cake but prefer the Irel/Camp in the icing.

True......it's old, May 2015.

mse1Cvcl.jpg

.....and that's most likely expiry date. :):)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Why the two colours, but the same label, including the same expiry date and lot number?

So....is Camp not comparable / same as Irel then?

I used to use Irel waaaaay back in the 70's but changed over to instant coffee for many years. Lately I had a yearning for a bit of nostalgia and went looking for Irel and couldn't get it. Bought the Camp instead but hated it.

• Advertisement

Coconut bites. Made with dessicated coconut, condensed milk, butter, crushed digestive biscuits and then milk chocolate on top.

Ridiculously easy to do and very tasty.

IMG-20190624-WA0000-600x1067.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

experimenting happily with microwave baking. I am resigned to no longer being able for traditional baking; many of us with CFS/ME joke that by the time we have made a meal we are too exhausted to eat it..

I always thought microwave baking was... well not ...

Housebound now so cannot buy cake etc and came across a recipe for choc cake in a mug and from there...

As it uses oil not butter I can mix it while eg water is heating for coffee then into the microwave. Also I can make small amounts as I am alone here.

Weeks on and I am trying different options. The best so far is replacing 1/3rd of the sugar with malt extract and 1/3rd floor with wholemeal flour. Excellent texture and flavour

Nothing photogenic yet but there will be ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I always though microwave mug cakes where awful...turns out I was just leaving them in too long. Have been eating a load of them over the last few weeks as no time for real baking and doing exams so wanted something sweet.
    Chocolate with anything (cookie butter, peanut butter, choc chunks, marshmallows) all yummy
    Lemon cake with lemon curd
    All fab and can make while the tea is brewing. :D

I always though microwave mug cakes where awful...turns out I was just leaving them in too long. Have been eating a load of them over the last few weeks as no time for real baking and doing exams so wanted something sweet.
    Chocolate with anything (cookie butter, peanut butter, choc chunks, marshmallows) all yummy
    Lemon cake with lemon curd
    All fab and can make while the tea is brewing. :D

I am making them in bigger bowls now. And finding them better if I increase the liquids. The malt was a stroke of genius and the next will be molasses. as you say, they take no time at all.

As far as I am concerned Camp is identical to Irel, ingredients list is the same, the guys who used to make Irel even advised me to buy the Camp as same thing.

However if you had switched to normal coffee then it's possible your taste buds have adjusted to that :) I used to drink Irel with hot milk as a child, not a hope I'd drink it now and I even tried recently to see if it was still nice and it's not too bad other than the fact that it's way too sweet for my liking now.

Expiry date or not it'll be grand! :)

I'm putting Irel and an espresso shot in the sponge and butter icing to be sure to be sure...........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Olive Sourdough Fougasse

05-DB4-D69-80-E8-4-C51-8148-DE2099-E91-EAC.jpg

Delicious rich malted chocolate cake, microwaved ; wholemeal flour for texture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Suckler

Olive Sourdough Fougasse

Could you share recipe? Looks very impressive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Suckler wrote: »
    Could you share recipe? Looks very impressive!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/olive_sourdough_fougasse_26097

If you don’t have a sourdough starter just use yeast - i’d Google for alternative recipes to get the right quantities.

I also added some finely chopped lemon zest, chopped rosemary and thyme as well as oregano.

It’s a great tear and share for the table. Kids loved it! :)

Advertisement