Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Snap,Frost,Ice,Snow Showers - Saturday December 14th -16th

• 12-12-2019 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

OUTLOOK: Feeling raw this weekend; bright sunshine but wintry falls in places too.
    Very frosty at times also, with some icy stretches.

FRIDAY NIGHT: Clear spells and scattered blustery showers, some of which will turn
    wintry later,
    generally across Atlantic counties. Frost too, mainly for sheltered areas.
    Lows of 0 to 3 degrees, in brisk westerly breezes.

SATURDAY: Very cold with an added wind chill factor, owing to brisk westerly winds. Sunshine
    and well scattered wintry showers will turn increasingly wintry after-dark. Highs of only
    3 to 6 degrees. Overnight lows of 0 to -3 degrees, with lighter winds, at least for a time.

SUNDAY: Some lying snow to begin, mainly across parts of the west and the north midlands.
    Frost and ice in parts too. Scattered wintry showers during the day, but winter sunshine at
    times too. Another very cold day, in westerly breezes, with highs of only 3 to 7 degrees.
    Breezy at times across the southern half of Ireland. Temperatures will widely fall back
    to minus 3 degrees after-dark.

MONDAY: Extremely frosty to begin with some icy stretches. Most areas will stay dry and
    bright for the day with light easterly breezes. However, it will be another very cold day
    with well below normal temperatures.

Met.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Thanks for the update. Even a dusting would be nice. I’m in the west so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngukmintemp.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Snow for Cork, wohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Snow for Cork, wohoo!

Believe it when I see it!

Charts look pretty good. Why is there no hype about it though?

• Advertisement

davidsr20 wrote: »

The ME forecast isn't quite snowfest.
    Charts are charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

too me, those charts show rain/sleet for the city/coastal areas and snow for north north-west cork. Or else they are just so low res that they don't make it out correctly! Temps in the city look to be about 2-5 degrees too for the day so i'd say more north alright. The snow-shield lives :p

mostly west,north midlands as of now,if snow showers pop up in the forecast further East theyll start crawling out of the woodwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Cause it says snow for cork, and EVERYONE knows we have a snow shield ... :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭aidanodr

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Cause it says snow for cork, and EVERYONE knows we have a snow shield ... :-D

Cork can be strange local weather wise.

The last big snow, a thin line all along the coast inc Crosshaven, Carrigaline, Kinsale got rightly dumped on while the city got away relatively lightly.

I remember not many could get out of Carrigaline up Carrs hill toward the city, on city side of Carrs hill it was far better, if you could get there.

Many in the city just did not believe the level of snow fall in Carrigaline and along coast

As far as i know, mallow, up the road then, had little or no snow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Lying snow in Ireland means.....

Wer lying it wont snow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

mostly west,north midlands as of now,if snow showers pop up in the forecast further East theyll start crawling out of the woodwork.

Ffs if I was a Mod now I know what I’d do with ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

We need an offshore wind for snow in Cork city. At the moment inland parts are more favoured such as Mallow etc
    It's interesting to watch even if it is a blink and you'll miss it affair

We need an offshore wind for snow in Cork city. At the moment inland parts are more favoured such as Mallow etc
    It's interesting to watch even if it is a blink and you'll miss it affair

These usually get modified downwards as time approaches especially anything Atlantic based such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

A potential Snow thread and Kermit didnt start it

Its not happening!!!

Kermit?

Kermit?

Yes Kermit. The most famous frog on boards. Is this your first time in the weather forum?

aidanodr wrote: »
    Cork can be strange local weather wise.

The last big snow, a thin line all along the coast inc Crosshaven, Carrigaline, Kinsale got rightly dumped on while the city got away relatively lightly.

I remember not many could get out of Carrigaline up Carrs hill toward the city, on city side of Carrs hill it was far better, if you could get there.

Many in the city just did not believe the level of snow fall in Carrigaline and along coast

As far as i know, mallow, up the road then, had little or no snow?

Yes, we lucked out with Emma in the coast, the angle of wind from the east gave us lake effect snow. We were snowed in for a week! Luckily thanks to the knowledgeable folk in here were well prepped for it. It was epic. Friends in the city didn't believe until I sent in pics.

This though is coming from the west? (Northwest?)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So tonight and tomorrow we are going to be blasted by winds, then Sat and Sun snowed in.... OKAAAAAAAAY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Tzmaster90

its-not-easy-5a28ca.jpg
    He will be back

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

That Cork snow shield might want to check its armour ;)

It's a hard one to call with lot of variance in the details on the weather models, need to get into high resolution time frame but I think it might be a slushy mess in many places with sleet/snow/sleet mix. Higher ground though certainly looks good, it is really a question of which mountain to climb Sunday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Because its mostly for us folks in the NW. We are invisible...woohoo! :D

Yes Kermit. The most famous frog on boards. Is this your first time in the weather forum?

I know Kermit a long time on here. I’m seeing what he thinks of this weekend.

A potential Snow thread and Kermit didnt start it

Its not happening!!!

its not happening,in the greater Dublin area,correct yes.
    only messing, hahaha etc.

Gynoid wrote: »
    Because its mostly for us folks in the NW. We are invisible...woohoo! :D

I see you!! Fingers crossed for ye too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

Waiting for Kermit’s input before the hype train

Where is Kermit...
    Haven't heard from in a while?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Looking forward to putting on a wetsuit on Monday morning offshore breeze and a nice Atlantic swell hitting Clare
    Ohh its looking really nice, 6/5 hooded cskins bodyboard and fins.... Yeeeehawww

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Where is Kermit...
    Haven't heard from in a while?

Snowed in :D

Advertisement