Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10th Annual White Christmas Thread!

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the rain and mild weather is making inroads earlier. Christmas Day now more like 6 or 7C instead of the 3 or 4C shown yesterday. St Stephens Day looks mild and possibly very wet.The week following the 26th to the first week of January is also looking wetter and wetter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Guidance getting milder all the time alright but still likely to be single figures and feeling raw enough but with rain likely too. Probably the average Irish winter's day really!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

BBC NI said hill snow for the West on Christmas day and showed the white precipation on the radar, even if it doesnt come true its nice to see it on the forecast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭pauldry

Saw that. Still a slight chance.

As of tonight Met Eireanns national forecast for tomorrow is:-

"....TOMORROW - WEDNESDAY 25TH DECEMBER

Tomorrow, Christmas day, will start frosty, with some ice and fog in places. The frost should soon clear, but a few patches of fog may linger for a time. Bright at first, with hazy sunshine, but turning breezy and fairly cloudy later. Southeast winds will increase fresh and later strong in Atlantic coastal counties. Cold, top temperatures of 4 to 7 C., generally, but up to 8 or 9 C., along parts of the south and southwest coasts....."

Not bad all in all, but the wait for a white Christmas goes into a 16th year for most of us.

I suppose as they say, ever tried, ever failed, never mind, try again, fail again, fail better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

As of tonight Met Eireanns national forecast for tomorrow is:-

"....TOMORROW - WEDNESDAY 25TH DECEMBER

Tomorrow, Christmas day, will start frosty, with some ice and fog in places. The frost should soon clear, but a few patches of fog may linger for a time. Bright at first, with hazy sunshine, but turning breezy and fairly cloudy later. Southeast winds will increase fresh and later strong in Atlantic coastal counties. Cold, top temperatures of 4 to 7 C., generally, but up to 8 or 9 C., along parts of the south and southwest coasts....."

Not bad all in all, but the wait for a white Christmas goes into a 16th year for most of us.

I suppose as they say, ever tried, ever failed, never mind, try again, fail again, fail better!

Right then, a beach walk it is in the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

2010?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Well Christmas Day 2019 has arrived and no chance of it being a white one. Anyway happy Christmas to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Carol25

Good morning and Happy Christmas! It’s a beautiful frosty one here near Athenry. Santa has arrived & the sunrise was beautiful. Roads could be very slippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Beautiful morning in Galway frosty the only bit of white for this Christmas

Happy Christmas to you all , special Happy Christmas to all our weather posters thanks for all the updates and charts throughout the year they are greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Frosty here in Sligo too 90m asl.

Lovely dry and bright day. Happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm counting the frost in the back garden as a white one for me :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Happy Christmas everyone! A lovely sunny and frosty morning here. Still some white patches on the grass, so it's as close to a White Christmas as were going to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep it was a frosty white Christmas Day for us here too, as I predicted back in the Autumn. It was lovely and just enough to be nice and festibe. Who knows, maybe next year for snow. Till then Happy Christmas weather boardsies.

Danno wrote: »
    2010?

No falling snow on the day in most, if not all, places I think? Appreciate it was very white looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

No falling snow on the day in most, if not all, places I think? Appreciate it was very white looking.

No falling snow, but a carpet of over 10cm here certainly counts as a "white" Christmas for me. To say that a single snowflake falling on a green countryside warrants the title more than 10cm in 2010 is daft!

Meanwhile, a foggy and frosty one here giving a grey Christmas!

https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1209764041943597062

Danno wrote: »
    No falling snow, but a carpet of over 10cm here certainly counts as a "white" Christmas for me. To say that a single snowflake falling on a green countryside warrants the title more than 10cm in 2010 is daft!

Meanwhile, a foggy and frosty one here giving a grey Christmas!

https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1209764041943597062

I get you completely but rightly or wrongly falling snow is how its defined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Well Christmas Day 2019 has arrived and no chance of it being a white one. Anyway happy Christmas to everyone.

Yep we got lucky again this year. Not a bad day to get out and about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

strong winds and rain pelting down in cork city

strong winds and rain pelting down in cork city

An apt way for the thread to end! New thread in and around 1 November 2020 God willing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i hate this mild weather

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I get you completely but rightly or wrongly falling snow is how its defined.

Pangea wrote: »
    White out here in south donegal aswell! What a perfect day .
    Roads are bad!
    I must say the image of the family eating christmas dinner last year and in the background through the window all you could see was the snow hammering down, a truly wonderful sight to be cherished.

See my old posts above posted about Christmas 2010. Those were the Days! We indeed had fresh snow here in Donegal that day, so you can tick it off as an Offical White Christmas ;)

Also for fun see this video of snow falling on Christmas Day 2017 in Donegal
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/wildatlanticwayguide/permalink/1889021171125693/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

See my old posts above posted about Christmas 2010. Those were the Days! We indeed had fresh snow here in Donegal that day, so you can tick it off as an Offical White Christmas ;)

Also for fun see this video of snow falling on Christmas Day 2017 in Donegal
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/wildatlanticwayguide/permalink/1889021171125693/

Actually the rule is (or at least was in 2010) that the snowfall has to be recorded at either Dublin or Cork Airports to officially count as a white Christmas.

Really wasnt trying to start this fight. In fairness all I said was that

".... the wait for a white Christmas goes into a 16th year for most of us...".

I didnt say "..all of us.." as I thought the NW might have had christmas day snow in 2010 (and 2009 too possibly). But most of the population lives in the east with the second big population mass in the south and south west and I dont think either have had falling snow on 25 Dec since 2004. If Im wrong, Im wrong, but nothing posted since my (intended to be innocuous!) post shows Im wrong so far.

Anyway, happy Christmas all....

Advertisement