Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-11-2020, 21:10   #16
Sandor Clegane

To be honest I think America is a great place to visit but not to live.

The only way id move there to live is if I had wealth, I know people who live there and have some relations there too and it's brutal.

People slave away working ridiculous hours, poor pay, little to no security and god forbid you get sick, all to negative for me personally.
Advertisement
21-11-2020, 22:14   #17
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post

If I could get it up to say 3 weeks off, I'd be ok with that. I don't need 5-6 weeks, but I don't want 5-10 days either.
Any sick days you take gets taken out of those 5- 10 days too ...most people don't realize that.

I would hate to live in the US.
(3) thanks from:
21-11-2020, 22:25   #18
Strumms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor Clegane View Post
To be honest I think America is a great place to visit but not to live.

The only way id move there to live is if I had wealth, I know people who live there and have some relations there too and it's brutal.

People slave away working ridiculous hours, poor pay, little to no security and god forbid you get sick, all to negative for me personally.
Yep, if you’ve a good job and can afford health insurance fine and dandy but imagine you lost your job, you got sick.... over there from what I know it not as here, where everything or most is free.
Thanks from:
21-11-2020, 22:44   #19
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumms View Post
Yep, if you’ve a good job and can afford health insurance fine and dandy but imagine you lost your job, you got sick.... over there from what I know it not as here, where everything or most is free.
There are some Doctors who don't even accept health insurance for some things. Just cash. Although they are cracking down on it i think.
Thanks from:
21-11-2020, 22:49   #20
JupiterKid

In Europe, people work to live.

In America, you live to work.

As someone who lived and worked in the USA in the past, I think European countries have it the right way around. In Ireland of course in the 2000s Celtic Tiger/Speculative bubble many saw us going the way of the States, but I think that since then we have moved back towards the European work/life balance ethic.
Advertisement
21-11-2020, 23:00   #21
ILoveYourVibes

A lot of people in the states have like three jobs and still no health insurance.
(2) thanks from:
21-11-2020, 23:01   #22
Strumms

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterKid View Post

As someone who lived and worked in the USA in the past, I think European countries have it the right way around. In Ireland of course in the 2000s Celtic Tiger/Speculative bubble many saw us going the way of the States, but I think that since then we have moved back towards the European work/life balance ethic.
We have but you only need to see in your own workplace or pop over to the work / jobs forum here to see the number of people advocating the whole live to work ‘experience’ ... business owners, managers ok in the main. But the rest of us need to be resisting that shît.
21-11-2020, 23:04   #23
Ubbquittious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterKid View Post

It is daft the mentality over there to ""work ones ass off"" perpetually in the hope of some day being able to live the dream. How the phooq can they continue to believe in this scam for so long given all the poverty and trailer parks surrounding them?

They absolutely idolise the rags-to-riches tale of the lad who worked his way up the corporate ladder completely ignoring the great deal of luck involved
21-11-2020, 23:04   #24
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumms View Post
We have but you only need to see in your own workplace or pop over to the work / jobs forum here to see the number of people advocating the whole live to work ‘experience’ ... business owners, managers ok in the main. But the rest of us need to be resisting that shît.
No one ever died wishing 'OH I WISH I HAD SPENT MORE TIME IN THE OFFICE!'
Advertisement
21-11-2020, 23:40   #25
JustAThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYourVibes View Post
No one ever died wishing 'OH I WISH I HAD SPENT MORE TIME IN THE OFFICE!'
A lot of people I went to college with including family members (who didn’t go to college) emigrated to the states and all of
them have good lives, great houses and lifestyles, go on holidays and trips overseas several times a year, most have second homes - bought not inherited, and their kids have the kind of outdoors,BBQ, family friendly littleball lives we see on TV. Its certainly not the deerhunter kind of squalor and hardship painted here. Of course there are pros and cons ( not to mention the old orange issues) and not everybody has a perfect life but of those I know there are far more shining commercial success stories than for those left behind scratching to afford a semi-d for half a million in celtic tiger ireland.

the OP hs a good qualification & experience in a respected area - no need to put him in a trailerpark eating out of old cans of beans.
21-11-2020, 23:44   #26
jrosen

They work hard yes but in my experience there is certainly a great social aspect to life. Far more than I’ve experienced living in other parts of Europe or even Ireland.
(2) thanks from:
21-11-2020, 23:46   #27
Danzy

If you think 10 days a year is important then you have no business in the US.

Unless you get into a big multi national and even then you might not be too popular for taking the time.

Last edited by Danzy; 21-11-2020 at 23:55.
22-11-2020, 00:30   #28
JustAThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzy View Post
If you think 10 days a year is important then you have no business in the US.

Unless you get into a big multi national and even then you might not be too popular for taking the time.
Not true - I know a few in big insurance and car hire businesses - they seem to be constantly taking exotic holidays & get home twice a year for 5 or 6 days. Not saying thats 100% typicL nor that they din’t work hard but they do get paid
holidays.

I worked with USA multinationals in Ireland 3 times. On two occasions I was dispatched to the states to live & train for few months. I couldn’t believe the cultural difference - here - in Ireland - I woiod ve at my desk by 0730 and still at it by 7 or 8pm most nights. I did and was expected to do conference calls on US timelines and wirked like a linatic on high pressure demanding projects. Over there - San Fran and Washington DC - they sauntered in for 8 or 0830, took lengthy lunchbreaks and had softball leagues and picnics at lunch, and were never at their desks past 5pm. I couldn’t believe it . We had embraced the worst and were being driven like slaves to achieve for our US overlords by Irish management while they were skipping through their lives and drawing better salaries aNd benefits. I’m still getting over that.
(2) thanks from:
22-11-2020, 01:14   #29
walshtipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss.paula View Post
If you work hard and get the head down you can live a life way better than in Ireland, in US you got to write off 10 years of your life and work hard, then you are on the pigs back, you will have a house and life style we can only dream of in Ireland.
2 car family, huge beautiful house with all mod cons and plenty of spending money, that aint happening here in Ireland
That's not totally true. In my opinion, you can achieve anything you want in Ireland if you are willing to work hard for it. Progress your career, don't waste money, save and invest. You don't have to look too far here to see large houses with two luxury cars on the drive. Perhaps there are more opportunities in the US, the American dream and all that.

But it's not fair to say that people do not live good lifestyles in Ireland.
22-11-2020, 01:24   #30
Gregor Samsa

I’ve spent some time over in our US office. My experience is they’re great at giving the impression they work non stop - answering emails at 7 in the morning, calling into meetings on their commute into work, stuff that gives the impression of long hours. In reality, they either come in early and then head home early, or they come in later and then head home at a regular time. There was many occasions that I put my head up at 6pm and the whole office was totally empty.

Another thing I find is that they will not go to a work event that is not on during work hours. In the office over here, we’d often have drinks in the evening/night time - it’s just normal. Over there, it’s “happy hour” at 4.30, then they’ve all scarpered at 5.30. None of them will hang around into their personal time, and none of them will put their hand in their pockets either - work is paying, or they won’t go.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion