Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
27-05-2020, 17:23   #61
corks finest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterchops View Post
Ditto.

Wonder when we'll get to Mars?
On the way but not soon
corks finest is offline  
Advertisement
27-05-2020, 17:49   #62
topper75
Registered User
 
topper75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,834
That Shannon ATC brings to mind something I saw only a few weeks ago at the start of lockdown. It was a Saturday evening about 8 or half 8. A streak in the sky, quite like any old meteor, between the two stars of Gemini - high but towards the south. This was followed by another and a third in the same region of the sky but separated by a little distance, say a few degrees of sky. It was the perfect pulse (like a relaxed human heartbeat sort of frequency) and aligned nature of the three streaks that puzzled me and I began to contemplate the odds of a series of meteors behaving that way. About 10 seconds later another streak, quite like any old solitary meteor this time, streaked across and 20 degrees closer to the north at right angles to the pulse of three.

I called the Mrs. out to tell her as she is mad into space stuff. She guessed something must have been breaking up - hence the three separate aligned streaks. But the perfectly balanced frequency still has me wondering. Other than that I never saw anything meaningfully weird in the night sky in all my years. I would be very slow to believe in any kind of alien spacecraft visits.
topper75 is offline  
Thanks from:
27-05-2020, 17:51   #63
fryup
Registered User
 
fryup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,750
isn't Boyle Co.Roscommon a UFO hotspot ?
fryup is offline  
27-05-2020, 17:54   #64
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryup View Post
isn't Boyle Co.Roscommon a UFO hotspot ?
No, it’s URO hot spot (unidentified rossie object).
Ipso is offline  
27-05-2020, 18:04   #65
buried
Registered User
 
buried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryup View Post
isn't Boyle Co.Roscommon a UFO hotspot ?
I know two lads who like to do a bit of fishing and they swear they saw something hovering over the lake near Boyle Forest park when they were out on a boat. I know they ain't lying about it because both of them said and still say the exact same thing about it still to this day. Both of them say they saw a "bright lit up door that hovered over the water and then it disappeared". The evening it happened they rang up another friend of ours to drive them back home because they were too shook. The guy who brought them home said they were terrified, totally not themselves. They've never gone back up there either. Makes no sense for them to make up the story as these lads wouldn't be the most imaginative bunch and they still act the same way anyone ever brings up the story and asks them about it.

Last edited by buried; 27-05-2020 at 18:24.
buried is online now  
Advertisement
27-05-2020, 18:07   #66
Hamsterchops
Registered User
 
Hamsterchops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper75 View Post
That Shannon ATC brings to mind something I saw only a few weeks ago at the start of lockdown. It was a Saturday evening about 8 or half 8. A streak in the sky, quite like any old meteor, between the two stars of Gemini - high but towards the south. This was followed by another and a third in the same region of the sky but separated by a little distance, say a few degrees of sky. It was the perfect pulse (like a relaxed human heartbeat sort of frequency) and aligned nature of the three streaks that puzzled me and I began to contemplate the odds of a series of meteors behaving that way. About 10 seconds later another streak, quite like any old solitary meteor this time, streaked across and 20 degrees closer to the north at right angles to the pulse of three.

I called the Mrs. out to tell her as she is mad into space stuff. She guessed something must have been breaking up - hence the three separate aligned streaks. But the perfectly balanced frequency still has me wondering.
That sounds like Elon Musk & his Starlink . . . . .

Timings with good visibility

Thurs 28th May 2020, 4:23 am.

Starlink - for 6 mins
Look from SOUTHWEST to EAST (details)
Elevation (from horizon): start: 10°, max: 54°, end: 10°

Friday 29th May 2020, 3:25 am.

Starlink - for 4 mins
Look from SOUTHWEST to EAST (details)
Elevation (from horizon): start: 18°, max: 35°, end: 10°

Sat 30th May 2020, 3:59 am.

Starlink - for 6 mins
Look from WEST to EAST (details)
Elevation (from horizon): start: 10°, max: 66°, end: 10°

Ungodly hours for star gazing, but great for insomniacs & night workers, if you want to see some real (IFOs) then look up at these times to see Elon Musk's Starlink satellite train . . . . .
Hamsterchops is offline  
(3) thanks from:
27-05-2020, 18:13   #67
Thargor
Registered User
 
Thargor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSweeney View Post
A bird that can fly that fast ... and turn at 90 degrees without slowing down ...
What 90 degree turn? The apparent speed is a trick of parallax when you zoom in and track something, its not going anywhere near as fast as you think, watch the video where he analyses it, its going at bird speed and has the size and body temperature of a bird because its a bird.
Thargor is offline  
Thanks from:
27-05-2020, 18:15   #68
Peter Flynt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,749
I believe that life as we know it, or something similar, exists on infinite other planets.
I believe that we are far more advanced evolutionary than life on some of those planets.
I also think that more advanced civilisations exist than ours - so advanced that they have travelled to our planet.... just like we will start travelling to other planets (Mars) from the 2030s onwards.

Sort of makes sense.
Peter Flynt is offline  
(2) thanks from:
27-05-2020, 18:41   #69
corks finest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterchops View Post
Ditto.

Wonder when we'll get to Mars?
On the way but not soon
corks finest is offline  
Advertisement
27-05-2020, 19:15   #70
ILoveYourVibes
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 12,376
I think the Tuatha De Danann came on like a cload or some air boat. Does that count?
ILoveYourVibes is offline  
Thanks from:
27-05-2020, 19:28   #71
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYourVibes View Post
I think the Tuatha De Danann came on like a cload or some air boat. Does that count?
Ah now. Even Ancient Aliens brought that up. Let’s not pollute Irish mythology with this modern day grift.
Ipso is offline  
27-05-2020, 19:30   #72
NIMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 24,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Flynt View Post
I believe that life as we know it, or something similar, exists on infinite other planets.
I believe that we are far more advanced evolutionary than life on some of those planets.
I also think that more advanced civilisations exist than ours - so advanced that they have travelled to our planet.... just like we will start travelling to other planets (Mars) from the 2030s onwards.

Sort of makes sense.
This kinda sums up my beliefs too, simply by doing the maths involved.

And also, because of the maths involved, we may never get the chance to find out if we are correct or not.
NIMAN is offline  
27-05-2020, 19:30   #73
ILoveYourVibes
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 12,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipso View Post
Ah now. Even Ancient Aliens brought that up. Let’s not pollute Irish mythology with this modern day grift.
Proceeds to pollute.
ILoveYourVibes is offline  
Thanks from:
27-05-2020, 19:34   #74
buried
Registered User
 
buried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYourVibes View Post
I think the Tuatha De Danann came on like a cload or some air boat. Does that count?
The most interesting aspect about the Tuatha De Danann myth is that it mentions a group of people coming from a seafaring boat in the first place, at a ancient age where most historians think the human race was still living up the trees.
buried is online now  
27-05-2020, 19:55   #75
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9,507
With 40,000,000,000 Earth-sized planets orbiting in the 'habitable zones' of Sun-like stars and red dwarfs in the Milky Way.
Multilpy that by 150,000,000,000 galaxies in the observable universe, for longer-haul visitors.

1 / 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

approx chance of other life in the Universe.
Chance of winning euromillions jackpot:

139,838,160 / 1
Silas Steep Gull is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet