Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-03-2020, 03:05   #16
old_aussie

My Grandma, Florence Agusta Comans, 102

1880 - 1982
Advertisement
28-03-2020, 16:04   #17
Muahahaha

Just heard on the radio that the worlds oldest man is 112 years old today but his party had to be cancelled
(3) thanks from:
28-03-2020, 21:41   #18
AllForIt

No. The closest was my Dad's Aunt. She was always as fit as fiddle, and used to show off how she could touch her toes from a upright position at her age which I always found quite endearing. We lived beside her when we were growing up, she was like a grandparent to us.

The last time I saw her was at a visit to her care Home over xmas. She didn't seem in good form, unusually, but in good health. She said she'll never make 'the hundred' that visit. She was right, she was 99 and died a few days later when she fell over in the bathroom in the middle of the night. We had thought she was going to live a few year beyond 100 given she was never sick/hospitalized/had any underlying conditions.

I hope though if I reach 99 I'll stay in good health like she did throughout her whole life and especially in my final aged years like she did.
(2) thanks from:
28-03-2020, 21:43   #19

My parents are still alive, they're both in their 90s. I don't know anyone aged over 100 though.
(3) thanks from:
28-03-2020, 21:47   #20
L1011

My "great grandmother" (grandmothers step mother) is 102 and her sister is 104. Both are still quite mentally sharp. Both birthdays are yet to come this year so they're closer to 103/105.

The elder sister got dragged around local primary schools in 2016 as someone who was alive during the Rising - not that she can remember the British Army smashing the windows of her mothers pub when she was one!

Last edited by L1011; 28-03-2020 at 21:50.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-03-2020, 16:31   #21
Muahahaha

So for those who know these elders would you say their diet plays a part in their longevity? AFAIK Japan has one of the longest living populations in the world and some put it down to a diet rich in fish
29-03-2020, 16:43   #22
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

The only thing with the ones I know/knew is that they were all thin. Didn't have big appetites. Some drank, some were teetotal, some smoked(most changed to a pipe later in life), some didn't. They walked everywhere. All kept up to date with current affairs and tech and media too.
Thanks from:
29-03-2020, 18:16   #23
Your Face

I only knew one - my Great-Uncle. Lived to be 103. He was a beast. Death was probably afraid to come for him.
(3) thanks from:
29-03-2020, 19:10   #24

My grandmother lived to 103,and she swore a glass of scotch and a cigarette in the evening attributed to her longevity.
I'm following her advise with a glass of Johnny Walker and a cigar!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-03-2020, 20:11   #25
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahahaha View Post
So for those who know these elders would you say their diet plays a part in their longevity? AFAIK Japan has one of the longest living populations in the world and some put it down to a diet rich in fish
The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
The French eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
The Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
The Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

Conclusion: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is what kills you.

There seems to be some evidence that taller people die younger, based on basketball players.

And you'll often notice that very old people tend to be shorter
(4) thanks from:
29-03-2020, 20:47   #26
Muahahaha

Maybe part of it is to do with populations who eat whole and non-processed foods? Might be wrong but I would doubt if the concept of the processed ready meal loaded with salt and sugar is popular in France, Italy or Japan.
29-03-2020, 20:57   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahahaha View Post
Maybe part of it is to do with populations who eat whole and non-processed foods? Might be wrong but I would doubt if the concept of the processed ready meal loaded with salt and sugar is popular in France, Italy or Japan.
I would agree about the processed foods. Growing up my mother shopped in China Town, Little Italy, and Greece Street for fresh foods. And most of the elderly were fit well into their 90's.

Now everything is processed or salted to death.
21-11-2020, 16:11   #28
sligeach

I don’t know him, but I found it inspirational. If any of us make it to 100, we'll be doing well and very lucky. There's plenty of life in Arthur Saunders, he can't wait for Covid to get lost so he can "go out and have a bit of a jump around and pick up someone" and says he is looking forward to a pint in his local pub. Fair play to him.

Centenarian marks occasion with drive-by birthday party

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/202...irthday-party/

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Udi8tGwL77I
(2) thanks from:
21-11-2020, 17:50   #29
Quantum Erasure

Quote:
Áras an Úachtraráin has revealed details of the Centenarian Bounty, which was first introduced in 1940 by President Douglas Hyde
A bounty? That's a bit much, surely...
21-11-2020, 17:58   #30
cdeb

Mod: Chess, ZTest
I know this fella. His autobiography would be a best-seller but he's too modest to write one. Last met him summer of last year (at a UCD v Finn Harps match) and got a big bear-hug off him just for saying happy birthday. Not many 100 year olds would be well enough to give you a big bear hug!
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion