Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert old mini dv tapes to DVD?

• 04-09-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I have about 11 mini dv tapes but no camcorder (It was a JVC bought in '02).

What's the best way to convert these to DVD? It will cost me several hundred to get this done professionally, with copies. If I want to do this myself do I need to buy a camcorder that will take these tapes and take if from there? I'd rather pay someone if it's very complicated and I don't want to damage the tapes (one is already). If I could borrow a camcorder that would be ideal, money is very tight. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bennz

if you send them to me i will transfer them to dvd for free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Just got crystal media to convert two mini dv tapes. They provided a dvd copy and gave me MPEG and AVI copies on an external hard disk (which I provided obviously).

http://www.crystalmedia.ie/iopen24/

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bennz

Did you not see the word Free in my reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

bennz wrote: »
    Did you not see the word Free in my reply?

Calm.

The only reason I put that in is that if people search boards on this topic they will see this thread.

You may not want to offer (generously) to do this service for every person who may/may not see this thread.

:)

edit: & btw, I've nothing to do with that company. Their drop off was just near to my work making it convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Jessiegirl

Thank you for both replying as I am considering all options. bennz you are very kind to offer to do this for free but as tapes are mostly of my son when a baby & toddler I would be reluctant to send them to a stranger, I'm sure you can appreciate why. Am considering picking up a second hand camcorder and attempting it myself :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Jessiegirl wrote: »
    Thank you for both replying as I am considering all options. bennz you are very kind to offer to do this for free but as tapes are mostly of my son when a baby & toddler I would be reluctant to send them to a stranger, I'm sure you can appreciate why. Am considering picking up a second hand camcorder and attempting it myself :cool:

Yep, grab a used DV cam off adverts and or eBay. You can use free software to capture the video to a HD, extra software would be required to put it on DVD. Personally I would keep a copy of the raw DV files on a HD or other media.

If you want to go really hardcore, you could buy a pro DV deck to make the most of what you have, then sell the deck when you are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

How did you do it in the end?
    I also have about 10 taps that I would like to save in digital format. I still have the camcorder (old JVC) but the firewire DV output doesn't seem to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭reggaeman

Jessiegirl wrote: »
    I have about 11 mini dv tapes but no camcorder (It was a JVC bought in '02).

What's the best way to convert these to DVD? It will cost me several hundred to get this done professionally, with copies. If I want to do this myself do I need to buy a camcorder that will take these tapes and take if from there? I'd rather pay someone if it's very complicated and I don't want to damage the tapes (one is already). If I could borrow a camcorder that would be ideal, money is very tight. Thanks :)

You could also get a vhs adapter (it looks like a vhs tape) you just slot your mini tapes into it and put it in a old vhs player. (i have three old ones' so you should find it easy to pick one up' very cheap' or even borrow one.) then get yourself one of them DVD Makers. ( got mine in Aldi for €25)
    How's it done.
    With the scart adapter that comes with the DVD Maker you connect that to the VHS recorder and the USB end to your PC. On your PC you will need a program like PowerDirector. (I got mine from The Priate Bay for free)
    Using PowerDirector is very easy. When you turn it on just click on the capture button at the top and press play on the VHS player. You should get a picture on the screen. At the bottom just press record' when the tape is finished you get the option to save file. (Or you can before hand choose where you would like it to be saved. This is all very easy' so don't be put off by all this. Have a go and let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭reggaeman

embraer170 wrote: »
    How did you do it in the end?
    I also have about 10 taps that I would like to save in digital format. I still have the camcorder (old JVC) but the firewire DV output doesn't seem to work.

See my Quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭chka

Yep, grab a used DV cam off adverts and or eBay. You can use free software to capture the video to a HD, extra software would be required to put it on DVD. Personally I would keep a copy of the raw DV files on a HD or other media..

What free software? I also have the same problem. I just discovered that I have a bunch of mini DVs from an old JVC camera and while I have the USB cable, I can't find the software to transfer it to the computer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

reggaeman wrote: »
    You could also get a vhs adapter (it looks like a vhs tape) you just slot your mini tapes into it and put it in a old vhs player. (i have three old ones' so you should find it easy to pick one up' very cheap' or even borrow one.) then get yourself one of them DVD Makers. ( got mine in Aldi for €25)
    How's it done.
    With the scart adapter that comes with the DVD Maker you connect that to the VHS recorder and the USB end to your PC. On your PC you will need a program like PowerDirector. (I got mine from The Priate Bay for free)
    Using PowerDirector is very easy. When you turn it on just click on the capture button at the top and press play on the VHS player. You should get a picture on the screen. At the bottom just press record' when the tape is finished you get the option to save file. (Or you can before hand choose where you would like it to be saved. This is all very easy' so don't be put off by all this. Have a go and let me know how you get on.

Its mini dv.

There's no VHS cassette adapter available to put tapes in.

One is digital the other is analogue.

He'll have to use some sort of AD convertor.

I eventually managed to download my tapes using the JVC camera cable and an old Sony laptop with a Firewire port. The problem is that the quality is real **** and nothing like what I used to get playing straight from the camera to the TV.

There must be some other way to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

must be the software settings you are using to import them .. what software are using using ..I'm in the process of doing this as well

or did you get sorted?

Still not sorted unfortunately.

I used some software on an old Sony Vaio laptop with an inbuilt Firewire port. I think it was the software that came with the laptop.

What are you using?

started using MS Movie Maker .. its not too bad .. I think .. but .. you have to then convert the files from the MS format after they save!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

i am wondering if anyone had any success with this, i have an old Sony DV camcorder, that is still working, but ive no Firewire port on my PC.......has anyone figures out how to do this...?
    cheers

naw .. I had a firewire port on my work pc .. and even at that it was a nightmare .. had to bring it in using the MS Movie maker then convert it again ... the quality was really reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    naw .. I had a firewire port on my work pc .. and even at that it was a nightmare .. had to bring it in using the MS Movie maker then convert it again ... the quality was really reduced

The technology is really old and not suited to windows 7 or 10.

There will be a drop in quality because the tapes could be old so the data has deteriorated and also in trying to get at least 10 year old software to work with 7 and 10. Then you will have to convert the files to modern files.

I can do it as I am set up for it with the software programs etc. There is always a drop in quality but still get good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 adamkeane1

Does anyone know of any professionals who provide this service in Dublin still? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Or do Mini DV tape Players exist?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

vicwatson wrote: »
    Or do Mini DV tape Players exist?

They definitely used exist! We used them in college. But you'd be hard pressed to find one nowadays. I'm about to start the process of getting my old DV tapes onto a computer. Seems my two options are borrow my dad's 2010 iMac or buy a Firewire 400 - 800 adapter and a Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter. Probably will have to buy the adapters.

Advertisement