Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yay more rain.. ground is saturated here in cork city too. We have to bear nearing one of the wettest autumn’s on record by now? I think there was a lot o days of light drizzle too, making it seem worse

what is your local met eireann station? Mine is Dunsany and all we need is another 50mm between now and midnight Saturday 30th to break the all time Autumn rainfall record..... we could easily get that 50mm by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gonzo wrote: »
    what is your local met eireann station? Mine is Dunsany and all we need is another 50mm between now and midnight Saturday 30th to break the all time Autumn rainfall record..... we could easily get that 50mm by the weekend.

Cork airport would be my local one, I’ll have a look to see the stats when I get onto my laptop at home! I remember Sryan saying we had the most sunshine of any station and it was gloomy for most of autumn here so god help the rest of the country if that’s still the case. 50mm really isn’t a lot to build up! Especially now with the front crossing the country tomorrow and coming days.

Edit: cork airport is showing we had a very wet October, wettest since 2016 but only 50mm in November surprisingly. The light drizzle really is worse then heavy rain sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gonzo wrote: »

South-mid Leinster looks in an awkward spot with continuous pulses of sometimes heavy rain later tonight through until Friday evening followed by short lull and off again on Saturday.

Could be some serious enough issues.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lots of rainfall throughout Ireland and the UK over the coming week and much, much milder. Some charts showing temperatures up to 14C here next week, parts of southern England could see 16C next week. Mild temperatures are Europe wide over the next one to possibly three weeks, with many parts going close to 6C above average, more like 1 to 3C above average in Ireland. I think the main issue in Ireland will be the continued deluges rather than the temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

After a dull and damp start, the sky cleared in this part of Mayo just before 9 this morning and gave a decent day that we will gladly take here at this time of the year. Red berries on the hawthorn trees and hedges gleamed in the low November sun. Unfortunately the south east looking like getting a dose of our traditional autumnal fare here in the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭appledrop

Turned out better than expected here in North County Dublin.

Dark+ drizzlely to start but then brighten up nicely.

The biggest change has been the pleasant rise in temperatures which is welcomed. It's been an extremely wet autumn here. High rainfall in Aug, Sep, Oct + Nov.

I read an article about weather in Dublin in first 2weeks iof Nov + they were saying East was getting weather West usually gets with all the rainfall.

If more rainfall coming Dublin total for Nov + also the year will be very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

appledrop wrote: »

The biggest change has been the pleasant rise in temperatures which is welcomed. It's been an extremely wet autumn here. High rainfall in Aug, Sep, Oct + Nov.

I read an article about weather in Dublin in first 2weeks iof Nov + they were saying East was getting weather West usually gets with all the rainfall.

Athenry 1245mm

Wow I would never be able to live in West!

I meant high relative for usual Dublin totals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

When you live in the West all your life you don't know any better!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

appledrop wrote: »

It is actually the 2nd driest November in Castlebar in 15 years so far....well if you can call 124mm of rain dry and we are up over 1600mm of rain for the year and 460mm for Autumn.

Offically Newport is at 1544.9mm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

km79 wrote: »
    Athenry 1245mm

I'm at less than half that for the year in Arklow

Heavy showers during the night in cork city. Just got up to get ready now and another heavy shower has just bit. Gonna be a very unpredictable day I’d say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Very wet in Arklow overnight
    Currently wet and windy
    Microbursts of heavier rain in it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭highdef

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Very wet in Arklow overnight
    Currently wet and windy
    Microbursts of heavier rain in it
    You're getting your share of the rain that most of the rest of the country have been enduring. Pleasant morning in North Kildare. Calm and quite mild. Fairly cloudy although the sun is shining. Likes like my commute to Dublin will see conditions go downhill as I near the office.

Some roads flooded with deep puddles already in cork city because drains are blocked with leaves. Gonna be a wet day!

poured rain here last night, looks like more showers to the way later today.

10 year anniversary since the very bad flooding of Cork Cory where people were in waist high water outside the gates of UCC etc. ironic that it’s another very wet day... but at least it won’t flood like that (we hope!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

10 year anniversary since the very bad flooding of Cork Cory where people were in waist high water outside the gates of UCC etc. ironic that it’s another very wet day... but at least it won’t flood like that (we hope!)

It wasn't just the city that was swamped back then. Bandon, Bantry, Clonakilty, Skibbereen, Dunmanway and Fermoy were all badly hit as well and some businesses never reopened after that deluge.
    There is a yellow rainfall warning in place for Cork today but there shouldn`t be anything like what happened 10 years ago.

Dunsany now sitting at just over 114mm of rainfall for November and that doesn't include last nights deluge. This month could easily top 200mm by the end. Rain most likely every day between now and 1st of December. First two weeks of December also looking very wet and unsettled. I wonder when will this end? when will we get our first dry spell longer than 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Looking foward to the December daffodil bulbs,the midges,and a mellow mild moistness in the air, mmmm toasty.

The outlook is for this renewed Atlantic regime to continue and perhaps lock in for a while. I am expecting something like December 2015 or perhaps December 2013 which was somewhat stormier and just about as mild. This may lead to a more wintry episode by January if there's any signs of life in the Scandinavian high department. Keep in the back of your mind the outlook that it could get very unsettled around the Christmas holiday period (rain and wind rather than snow seeming the most likely type of disturbance). MT Cranium

YAY WINTER.

ukmaxtemp.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The models today show the potential for a cold spell at the end of the month/start of dec
    Chance of a Greenland high....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Billcarson wrote: »
    The models today show the potential for a cold spell at the end of the month/start of dec
    Chance of a Greenland high....

Definitely some interest in the models this evening. If we don't get another December 2015 then that's a good start because the thought of a repeat of that is borderline nauseating, especially after the very wet autumn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Looking foward to the December daffodil bulbs,the midges,and a mellow mild moistness in the air, mmmm toasty.

The outlook is for this renewed Atlantic regime to continue and perhaps lock in for a while. I am expecting something like December 2015 or perhaps December 2013 which was somewhat stormier and just about as mild. This may lead to a more wintry episode by January if there's any signs of life in the Scandinavian high department. Keep in the back of your mind the outlook that it could get very unsettled around the Christmas holiday period (rain and wind rather than snow seeming the most likely type of disturbance). MT Cranium

YAY WINTER.

ukmaxtemp.png

MT is as accurate as everyone else making predictions / the models. I.e. Not at all accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Definitely some interest in the models this evening. If we don't get another December 2015 then that's a good start because the thought of a repeat of that is borderline nauseating, especially after the very wet autumn!

Well said Artane2002. It would be truly awful if we get a repeat of Dec 2015. As good as MT is, he too gets it wrong sometimes and hopefully he is with his latest prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Well think our weather is weird?

Nullarbor in Australia 46.7c today, New November Record for the station but 6 nights ago 3.7c!!

Just the 43 degree change

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

This rain seems to be more West than was forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Going to be lashing again in the morning in Dublin, probably wont be able to cycle to work. I can honestly say that cycling in and out of work on and off in Dublin for the last 15 years or so, these few months have been the worst I can remember, rain wise. It's just horrible.

Left for work in lashing rain + came home from work in lashing rain.

Nov has been a s**t month in Dublin weather wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭pad199207

Going to be lashing again in the morning in Dublin, probably wont be able to cycle to work. I can honestly say that cycling in and out of work on and off in Dublin for the last 15 years or so, these few months have been the worst I can remember, rain wise. It's just horrible.

Not a drop in Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

No rain in my area of meath today, it was cloudy, dark, and felt cold in the breeze

Advertisement