Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shannon radar down again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

irishgeo wrote: »
    Power failures and overheating cause long-term outages at Ireland's 'most important' weather radar https://jrnl.ie/4908856

Live now. A few FOI requests to get the real picture.

The relevant paragraph:

In a statement during the outages, Met Éireann apologised to those in affected counties for the loss of coverage.

It also said that it is planning a major programme to expand and modernise Ireland’s weather radar network, which it expects to meet the country’s needs to 2040.

However, it is not yet known when these upgrades will take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Discodog wrote: »
    The relevant paragraph:

In a statement during the outages, Met Éireann apologised to those in affected counties for the loss of coverage.

It also said that it is planning a major programme to expand and modernise Ireland’s weather radar network, which it expects to meet the country’s needs to 2040.

It's easy to plan, I'm planning on redecorating the house for the last 10 years.

Joe Public wrote: »
    It's easy to plan, I'm planning on redecorating the house for the last 10 years.

Apparently they were planning seven years ago. This planning takes a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Probably sometime in the late 2030's I'd imagine. . . .at a cost of around treble the original estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

TD Timmy Dooley PQ got a reply.

PQ1.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

How come met Éireann has to go through a procurement process for equipment
    Yet the Oireachtas can get the worlds best printing press asap...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,855 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Oireachtas went through a procurment process too. The printing press wasn't the problem.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

talkabout wrote: »

One big problem about etenders is that the job often goes to a big bureaucratic organisation who are good at responding to tenders with little emphasis on checking out their previous work. Hopefully the experienced Met people in Met eireann will have have a major say in who gets the job rather than just leaving it to the accountants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Taking 365 days in a year (some use 366) for 2018
    304 days for 2019
    They probably take away routine maintenance also, say circa 3 days, plus even a mid year check of 1 day

2018- average 98.93% Avail .... circa 4 days downtime (7 days with maint)
    2019- average 92.71% Avail .... circa 24 days downtime (28 days with maint)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Villain wrote: »
    TD Timmy Dooley PQ got a reply.

PQ1.png

Well colour me beautiful - we're getting five dual-polarisation radars.

Now let me guess the locations for the additional three...

Cork Apt or Farranfore Apt
    Knock Apt or Finner Camp AWS or Donegal Apt.
    Waterford Apt

Dublin and Shannon to get upgrades.

I've highlighted my three guesses in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

talkabout wrote: »

The PIN notice did not specify the band but I expect they are implying C band. I would really like to see at least one S band system somewhere the West - possibly Valentia or Belmullet. They need to include a quality of service agreement with a target uptime of ~99% (including servicing) with financial penalties if not met.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Danno wrote: »
    Well colour me beautiful - we're getting five dual-polarisation radars.

Now let me guess the locations for the additional three...

Cork Apt or Farranfore Apt
    Knock Apt or Finner Camp AWS or Donegal Apt.
    Waterford Apt

Dublin and Shannon to get upgrades.

I've highlighted my three guesses in bold.

Well hopefully, as I'm a stones throw from one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Radars don't need to be located at current stations. They can be anywhere. That opens up a lot more possible locations, unless we get the usual nimbysm like we have with the wind farms. But from that list, certainly Waterford and Donegal Airports are most needed. Others would be south Kerry/west Cork, Belmullet/Mace Head and somewhere like Mullingar.

Radars don't need to be located at current stations. They can be anywhere. That opens up a lot more possible locations, unless we get the usual nimbysm like we have with the wind farms. But from that list, certainly Waterford and Donegal Airports are most needed. Others would be south Kerry/west Cork, Belmullet/Mace Head and somewhere like Mullingar.

I suspect they are counting on the radar systems in Wales and Cornwall to cover the SE. Coastal locations west of Cork and south of Donegal would seem to be the most attractive in terms of maximum range. After that it is down to spacing between them (assuming there will be more than one), proximity to service personnel, good road access, terrain type (avoiding mountains is hard in the inland direction!) and availability of a good (3 phase?) power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

ecowise wrote: »
    I suspect they are counting on the radar systems in Wales and Cornwall to cover the SE. Coastal locations west of Cork and south of Donegal would seem to be the most attractive in terms of maximum range. After that it is down to spacing between them (assuming there will be more than one), proximity to service personnel, good road access, terrain type (avoiding mountains is hard in the inland direction!) and availability of a good (3 phase?) power supply.

The Welsh radar doesn't give good coverage for the SE and the Cornwall one is way out of range.

3eI9Zyn.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SeedySam22

All things being equal for any site the 1st preference should be height. We don't want our precious radars being knee deep in water.

Rougies wrote: »
    The Welsh radar doesn't give good coverage for the SE and the Cornwall one is way out of range.

Sorry for not making myself clearer. By SE I meant for observing rain systems coming from the SE. I think both Wales & Cornwall are very useful for this. Likewise on the SW & W coasts we want to see systems as early as possible before they make landfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

SeedySam22 wrote: »
    All things being equal for any site the 1st preference should be height. We don't want our precious radars being knee deep in water.

I'm not sure I understand you, why would a radar be placed somewhere liable to being knee deep in water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It would be nice for the SE to get some decent coverage - even the full fat weather stations are rare down here.

• Advertisement

It would be nice for the SE to get some decent coverage - even the full fat weather stations are rare down here.

If they are going to deploy another 3 C-band radars in addition to Dublin and Shannon then I would include the SE. One in Belmullet, one in Valentia and one in Waterford. My reasons for these locations are to get maximum additional coverage from easily serviceable sites. Other locations would also work but these seem reasonable. Any other suggestions?

Useful interactive map for weather radar installations relevant to Europe:

http://radar.meteo.be/en/1682986-In+Europe.html

The best guide to new locations may be to look for existing government owned sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SeedySam22

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand you, why would a radar be placed somewhere liable to being knee deep in water?

While both radars are high up in the airports they could have access closed off due to local flooding in relatively low lying land

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Radar isn't looking too good in Shannon
    yJqvscx.png

spookwoman wrote: »
    Radar isn't looking too good in Shannon

It seems to be normal on met.ie and metoffice.gov.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The interference always seems more pronounced on netweather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Big storm coming in so, naturally, it's down again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

171170 wrote: »

It's not on netweather, seems to be on met.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

171170 wrote: »

It's working again - alleluia!

Advertisement