27-04-2021, 19:06   #46
Jequ0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Not sure how serious an answer you're looking for on the psychopathy thing, OP, but I would say psychopathy (or anti social personality disorder) doesn't need any hints.

Psychopathy is one of those overused words like "depressed" or "OCD" which we usually use outside of its psychological meaning, but it's an immediately obvious disorder. God love them, like, because it's probably deserving of being described as a mental illness instead of a personality disorder.

I've only met one person whom I am certain had this condition or a similar disorder. Quite a violent, extremely emotional person with no ability to regulate mood or maintain relationships. A total absence of self-deprecation was the least serious trait, but probably the most obvious: a mild ribbing would erupt into a ferocious tantrum. This person stole from their own parents, from friends, and caused one ex to have a nervous breakdown, through a mixture of emotional cruelty and, it is suspected, violence.

When it comes to your run-of-the-mill peculiarities, unusual traits or even quirks, I'd argue that the broad spectrum of human behaviour is part of what makes life interesting, and makes sustained friendships all the more valuable. I'd hate if we were all the same, life would be so boring.

One thing I am quite convinced about is that personality is fixed, and biological. You cannot change people. It's usually best (and better for the peace) to just accept people as they are. The vast majority of us are lucky to be situated somewhere in the acceptable middle-spectrum of traits, and sad to think, those at the extremes will probably never change. No matter what.

I think they can learn to cope with situations in manageable ways, but that's more managing their anger (or whatever) than eradicating it.
A very good post overall, thank you.

I guess the most frustrating thing is to see the terminology and “knowledge” of the condition (which I would not classify as an illness) shaped by popular media creations.

It’s a stigma you just can’t get away from.
And yes, incurable but it is possible to manage it if you are interested in getting it under control. Unfortunately this will depend on the severity as aspd, like all conditions, comes on a spectrum.
Advertisement
27-04-2021, 19:43   #47
silliussoddius

Quote:
Originally Posted by branie2 View Post
People who work on Wall Street
Even East Wall?
27-04-2021, 19:57   #48
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Not sure how serious an answer you're looking for on the psychopathy thing, OP, but I would say psychopathy (or anti social personality disorder) doesn't need any hints.

Psychopathy is one of those overused words like "depressed" or "OCD" which we usually use outside of its psychological meaning, but it's an immediately obvious disorder. God love them, like, because it's probably deserving of being described as a mental illness instead of a personality disorder.

I've only met one person whom I am certain had this condition or a similar disorder. Quite a violent, extremely emotional person with no ability to regulate mood or maintain relationships. A total absence of self-deprecation was the least serious trait, but probably the most obvious: a mild ribbing would erupt into a ferocious tantrum. This person stole from their own parents, from friends, and caused one ex to have a nervous breakdown, through a mixture of emotional cruelty and, it is suspected, violence.

When it comes to your run-of-the-mill peculiarities, unusual traits or even quirks, I'd argue that the broad spectrum of human behaviour is part of what makes life interesting, and makes sustained friendships all the more valuable. I'd hate if we were all the same, life would be so boring.

One thing I am quite convinced about is that personality is fixed, and biological. You cannot change people. It's usually best (and better for the peace) to just accept people as they are. The vast majority of us are lucky to be situated somewhere in the acceptable middle-spectrum of traits, and sad to think, those at the extremes will probably never change. No matter what.

I think they can learn to cope with situations in manageable ways, but that's more managing their anger (or whatever) than eradicating it.
One of my sisters is bi polar , she is in her thirties yet acts like a child when challenged about anything, she has obvious mental illness but is not violent and certainly not a psychopath

I've only ever met one person who I felt was a psychopath, they expressed a desire to see people hurt and claimed it would make them laugh
27-04-2021, 20:47   #49
Jequ0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_maxx View Post
One of my sisters is bi polar , she is in her thirties yet acts like a child when challenged about anything, she has obvious mental illness but is not violent and certainly not a psychopath

I've only ever met one person who I felt was a psychopath, they expressed a desire to see people hurt and claimed it would make them laugh

Which does not make them a psychopath necessarily. It's like diagnosing someone as depressed when they tell you that they sometimes feel down.
Thanks from:
27-04-2021, 21:02   #50
JackTC

- People who are extremely envious
- People who are nice to you alone but will mock you in group settings
- People who constantly put others down/ Make snarky comments
Advertisement
27-04-2021, 21:05   #51
odyssey06

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?
27-04-2021, 21:07   #52
Northernlily

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEPT 23 1989 View Post
male feminists
Concur strongly. A strange breed.

Special mention to people (*****) that speak about others behind their backs and trying to get others to think the same about that person.

Because of that these people automatically earn my disdain. Huge red flag from me and I wouldn't want to work with them.

Last edited by Northernlily; 27-04-2021 at 21:12.
27-04-2021, 21:10   #53
tommybrees

Type of haircut you have I think says alot about some people.
27-04-2021, 21:23   #54
mcmoustache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
People who torture and neglect animals, dissect them and kill them at a young age. Won't end well.

This is the boring answer because it's the correct one.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-04-2021, 21:27   #55
Jequ0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmoustache View Post
This is the boring answer because it's the correct one.

It is not
27-04-2021, 21:31   #56
enricoh

People who move their car out when bikers are filtering through traffic.
27-04-2021, 21:34   #57
golfball37

Anyone with tatoos on public display is not to be trusted.

Particularly females, I hate the way they desecrate their bodies with paint. It’s not a good look.
Thanks from:
27-04-2021, 22:02   #58
Candie

People who make spitefful digs and then wonder why you you're not friendly with them. People who are impatient, intolerant or generally horrible about the elderly or children, it's a sign of a selfish character in my experience.

But the most evil people by far are the sort who wear velvet smoking jackets and sit in swivel chairs stroking fluffy white cats.
27-04-2021, 22:08   #59
fryup

making fun of people at their expense is usually a dead giveaway that someone is an a$$hole
27-04-2021, 22:13   #60
Candie

Milk before the tea, crumbs in the butter, toilet seat up, roll spooled on the inside, doesn't like cheese.

While these may not be textbook signs of psychopathy, they're certainly solid pointers that something fundamental has gone awry.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion