08-04-2021, 16:16   #61
Deeper Blue

About 5 or 6 years ago I was at a wedding where the best man insulted homosexuals and disabled people in his speech. Extremely uncomfortable for everyone in the room that day. Still don't know what he was thinking.
Advertisement
08-04-2021, 16:17   #62
freshpopcorn

Not really to be honest.
At a funeral tough when everybody was giving there condolences to the family. My grandmother asked a lady how her mother was and the lady replied she’s just being buried there.
(112) thanks from:
99nsr125, Aceandstuff, Aglomerado, An Bradán Feasa, argolis, Autosport, banie01, Beatty69, Beaverpunisher, BettyS, bitofabind, Bob Harris, Bobby42, Caryatnid, cherryghost, Chinese whospers, Collie D, Conall Cernach, confusticated, crybaby, dee75, Deeper Blue, Deub, Doylers, Dr Bob, drive3331, E36Ross, easygoing39, Eathrin, ELM327, EmptyTree, enda1, flyingoutside, FoxyVixen, frozenfrozen, Galwayguy35, Garrigai, gman127, gogo, Goldengirl, happyoutscan, Hego Damask, Hotblack Desiato, IngridM20, irishgirl19, IrishZeus, JCX BXC, jim o doom, josip, JupiterKid, JustAThought, KathleenGrant, KatW4, Kingp35, krustydoyle, lab man, Lashes28, Leg End Reject, LessOutragePlz, Low Energy Eng, Lyndsey3000, mammychicken, Mango Joe, markc1184, MarkY91, massdebater, Mister Vain, mohawk, montyrebel, murpho999, Negative_G, New Home, Noodles81, Officer Giggles, pdw, pg633, pgj2015, PMC999, PTH2009, Purple Mountain, Quantum Erasure, Rachiee, radiotrickster, Rikand, Ronan|Raven, Rubberlegs, Sandz066, SeaFields, Season 2, Sebastian Dangerfield, sportsfan90, Strawberry HillBilly, Strumms, StupidLikeAFox, Sugar Free, sugarman, suicide_circus, supermouse, Teyla Emmagan, TheTorment, Thoie, timmyntc, TommyGun2017, TomSweeney, Vowel Movement, weemcd, Wibbs, Witchie, wowy, Yakov P. Golyadkin, _feedback_, __oc__
08-04-2021, 16:23   #63
kildare lad

I was at a wedding for a bloke I worked with . Him and his family are working class Dubs while the wife's side of the family thought they were a bit well to do. Anyway best man giving the speech says " I'm delighted derek met a beautiful woman like yvonne because he's been with a far few mingers in his day" everyone starts laughing except the mother in law . He then says" I don't know what everyones laughing at , there's a few of those mingers sitting in this room " . The mother in law storms off and the bride and her dad run off to console her. Thankfully she back after a few minutes and everything passed of peacefully .

Last edited by kildare lad; 08-04-2021 at 17:00.
(73) thanks from:
99nsr125, argolis, Autosport, Beatty69, Beaverpunisher, BettyS, blue note, budgese, Captain Havoc, Deeper Blue, deise08, Doylers, drive3331, duffysfarm, Duvet Day, easygoing39, ELM327, enricoh, Filmer Paradise, FoxyVixen, freshpopcorn, frozenfrozen, Garrigai, Gloomtastic!, Goodigal, GreeBo, HalloweenJack, Hego Damask, IngridM20, irishgirl19, jay0109, jennyhayes123, jim o doom, Jim Root, josip, JupiterKid, JustAThought, KathleenGrant, krustydoyle, Leg End Reject, LessOutragePlz, Lyndsey3000, Mam of 4, mammychicken, MarkY91, massdebater, Mister Vain, mjsc1970, Mollydog123, New Home, NoDrama, Noodles81, notsoyoungwan, pgj2015, PhilOssophy, Porklife, Quantum Erasure, radiotrickster, razorblunt, Sandz066, Schindlers Pissed, SeaFields, sportsfan90, sugarman, timmyntc, Toots, ToxicPaddy, weemcd, Wibbs, wowy, xieann, Yakov P. Golyadkin, Yeah_Right
08-04-2021, 16:43   #64
screamer

Was at a wedding once where the best man in his speech, compared the bride to a fat horse at the RDS show, it was a total clanger and destroyed the wedding vibe, as everyone was talking about it. The bride, who would be a curvy lady, tried to smile through, but you could see that she was devastated. We were all sitting there saying did he really say that.....
Anyways, it lead to frosty years between groom and his best man, who were related to make it even worse.
08-04-2021, 16:46   #65
Mister Vain

Speeches should be banned from weddings. I've yet to hear one that didn't make me cringe.
Advertisement
08-04-2021, 16:50   #66
BuileBeag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Vain View Post
Speeches should be banned from weddings.
Weddings should be banned from weddings.
08-04-2021, 16:51   #67
Toots
Administrator

It wasn't quite "ruined" but I was at a wedding once where the speeches went on for about 2 hours. It was awful. They did that weird set up where they had the meal and then did the speeches in between the main course and the dessert.

The two Dads both did nice brief speeches, and then the groom's was about 15/20 mins, so nothing mad. Then the best man (groom's brother who, it turns out, was a local politician) takes his turn and things go downhill. He just wouldn't shut up - after about 45 mins, he started getting some good natured heckling about wrapping it up. He didn't take the hint and kept going, but he wasn't talking about the bride and groom, he just kept going on and on about the groom's side of the family and how great they were.

Another 45 or so mins later and the heckling is getting decidedly less good natured (someone loudly questioned if this guy "was ever going to shut the f*ck up") and people were just openly starring to chat amongst themselves. We were sitting at a table near the kitchen and could hear some commotion and eventually the banqueting manager just came up and took groom to one side. Groom then took the mic off the best man, said thanks very much etc. Found out later that the manager had to tell the groom that if the speeches went on any longer, then the 250+ desserts, that were plated and ready to serve, would be inedible and would have to be binned.
08-04-2021, 16:51   #68
PhilOssophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Vain View Post
Speeches should be banned from weddings. I've yet to hear one that didn't make me cringe.
Banned by who?

I am indifferent to speeches, but it is a good opportunity for a child to thank their parents for all they have done, or for parents to welcome a new family member, in a very public and sometimes funny way.

I've only ever heard 1 wedding speech which made me cringe, and even that wasn't too bad either.

Here's an idea - when the speeches are on, slip out to the bar. Nobody will care for your absence.
08-04-2021, 16:53   #69
PhilOssophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
It wasn't quite "ruined" but I was at a wedding once where the speeches went on for about 2 hours. It was awful. They did that weird set up where they had the meal and then did the speeches in between the main course and the dessert.

The two Dads both did nice brief speeches, and then the groom's was about 15/20 mins, so nothing mad. Then the best man (groom's brother who, it turns out, was a local politician) takes his turn and things go downhill. He just wouldn't shut up - after about 45 mins, he started getting some good natured heckling about wrapping it up. He didn't take the hint and kept going, but he wasn't talking about the bride and groom, he just kept going on and on about the groom's side of the family and how great they were.

Another 45 or so mins later and the heckling is getting decidedly less good natured (someone loudly questioned if this guy "was ever going to shut the f*ck up") and people were just openly starring to chat amongst themselves. We were sitting at a table near the kitchen and could hear some commotion and eventually the banqueting manager just came up and took groom to one side. Groom then took the mic off the best man, said thanks very much etc. Found out later that the manager had to tell the groom that if the speeches went on any longer, then the 250+ desserts, that were plated and ready to serve, would be inedible and would have to be binned.
I've experienced that myself. I think everybody sitting there listening to the speeches was cringing as it seemed like everybody had a go on the mic.

The worst was the brides sister, who told 1-2 stories which only she found funny and she cackled with laughter, in the end people were laughing at her laugh.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-04-2021, 16:54   #70
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Woman Discovers Her Son’s Bride is Her Long Lost Daughter the woman noticed a birthmark on the bride’s hand, which looked strikingly similar to that of her long-lost child. And the wedding went ahead

Spoiler: The groom was adopted.
08-04-2021, 16:57   #71
Sebastian Dangerfield

At one wedding I attended about 10 years ago, a person at our table* sank 7 or 8 quick pints between the church and the hotel. Sat down for the starter, and he starts complaining about shooting chest pains, that he might be having a heart attack. The speeches start and he can take no more - just as the groom is speaking he bursts out of the room, knocking over chairs along the way and making a right spectacle.

He stumbled up to his room and lay on the floor thinking he was dying until his girlfriend came running in to check on him, stepped on his belly and tripped over him, resulting in an explosion of burp and fart the likes of which has never been heard before. His recovery was instant, but had to wait a couple of hours before sheepishly returning to the function room where he got not only a slagging from large sections of the crowd for the rest of that night, but again from the waiting staff at a wedding in the same venue the following week.

*okay it was me
(134) thanks from:
aaronder, Aceandstuff, Aglomerado, agoodusername, An Bradán Feasa, AnnaSophia, argolis, Autosport, BabysCoffee, ballsymchugh, banie01, Beatty69, BettyS, blackwave, Blazer, blue note, Bracken81, c montgomery, cazzer22, charlie14, Chinese whospers, CoBo55, Conor Bourke, crybaby, dee75, deise08, Deub, Dick Turnip, Doylers, drunk_monk, dublincelt, duffysfarm, Duvet Day, E36Ross, EmmetSpiceland, Enright, Filmer Paradise, Fitz*, For Forks Sake, FoxyVixen, frozenfrozen, fullstop, Galwayguy35, GeorgeBailey, Gloomtastic!, gman127, Goodigal, GraGaia, h3000, happyoutscan, Henry Ford III, Hococop, Hotblack Desiato, Hulk Hands, ibarelycare, irishguitarlad, JCX BXC, jennyhayes123, jim o doom, Jimmy Bottlehead, jk23, josip, JupiterKid, KathleenGrant, KatW4, KevRossi, Kingp35, krustydoyle, Lashes28, Leg End Reject, Leo Demidov, LessOutragePlz, Low Energy Eng, Lurching, Lyndsey3000, M7roadrunner, Mam of 4, mammychicken, manster, MarkY91, maximo31, Melanchthon, Merak, Mimon, MIRMIR82, Mr. CooL ICE, murpho999, New Home, onrail, Pawwed Rig, pgj2015, PhilOssophy, Pops_20, Porklife, Purple Mountain, Quantum Erasure, R00ster, Rachiee, radiotrickster, razorblunt, return guide, riffmongous, Rikand, Rmgblue, Ronan|Raven, Ronin247, Rubberlegs, Sandz066, Schindlers Pissed, SeaFields, SEPT 23 1989, ShaneU, Sir Oxman, snoopsheep, Solli, some random drunk, Stovepipe, sugarman, Susie_Toots, Tea-a-Maria, The Diddakoi, TheValeyard, timmyntc, Toots, ToxicPaddy, Vowel Movement, WesternZulu, Wildlife Actor, Wildly Boaring, WildWater, Wombatman, wowy, Yeah_Right, __oc__
08-04-2021, 16:57   #72
xieann

In early 2000, I was on the train back from Waterford to Dublin.

A couple shared the table with me. For some part of the journey they talked about someone's sibling who was not invited to a wedding of theirs.
The sibling turned up at the wedding breakfast. Very very awkward in how to handle the sibling, a fella. The event management had to do the best they could.
Thanks from:
08-04-2021, 17:02   #73
Church on Tuesday

If I ever get married, it's a small chapel/registry office with one or two witnesses and maybe two or three people extremely close to me. Go all out on a honeymoon after.

The rest just seems like unnecessary convoluted and tedious nonsense.

Last edited by Church on Tuesday; 08-04-2021 at 17:06.
08-04-2021, 17:21   #74
GLaDOS
Testing

Not ruined, but the groom in his speech essentially said that if it wasn't for (brides and grooms child) they wouldn't be here today, followed by much backtracking.
08-04-2021, 17:22   #75
JayRoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAThought View Post
OMG I hope she took him up on that - save a fortune in solicitors fees :0

I was at a very fancy one - black tie, no expense spared - when up rocked a cousin with two children and one screaming from a pram, wedding was strictly a no children affair, cousin plonked herself at ‘our’ (full) table and atarted ordering high chairs and plate settings for herself and the kids - staff didn’t know what to do but obliged her with one high chair and an adult plate setting - the bride stormed down from the top table to call her out on it and insisted neither her nor her children be served and be removed from the reception. Manager was useless, no security on the door - naturally - so cousin just sat and refused to move. Eventually she started feeding her baby a bottle and begged things from other peoples plates and used random spoons and the sideplates for herself and the kids. Everyone was eyes on her and the groom nearly had to wrestle the bride to the floor she was so livid. One child screamed all the way through the speaches which were repeatedly pointedly stopped while they were states at. She travelled - without her husband - from the other end of Ireland to make this holy show of herself. neither groom nor bride were close to her & as a courtesy she and her husband had been invited - without children - like all others but had not rsvp’d. I can still see the rage on the brides face. It will never be forgotten, nor forgiven.

That's not even funny it's just awful tbh.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion