Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Catalytic converter theft

• 31-01-2019 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Catalytic converter theft seems to be an increasing problem. There was a piece on Liveline today about it. It appears that the Toyota Prius is a particular target. The thieves get under the car with a battery powered angle grinder, and cut the converter off in under a minute. They contain valuable metals, I think, Platinum, and maybe Palladium, hence have a high scrap value. So if your car sounds unexpectedly noisy, check underneath. They cost over €1000 to replace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How much scrap value would they get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

cats sell for between 40 to 200 euro depending on the type

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That's a lot of effort and risk for little reward, they must be desperados.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

This has been a problem for years. We were selling 2 a week at one stage a few years ago and the whole system cost over 4k! Some vehicles are designed in a way to give easy access for shorter down time in the workshop, unfortunately that can be a help to the scum.... quite often they don't even need a cutting tool and make little or no noise

A couple of lads doing 10 a week is a good earner.

If your worried get a catloc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mercedes-Sprinter-Armaplate-ArmaCat-Catalytic-Converter-Catlock-Stops-Theft/113308345353?hash=item1a61b42409:g:8scAAOSwGotWqf68:rk:2:pf:0

This type of thing.

I was wondering would it be practical to make a homemade version along the lines of a sump guard on a rally car?

• Advertisement

Yeah thats the one. They have snap off bolts so need cutting off if you ever need to remove the exhaust. They force them to just move on to the next vehicle without one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Some are worth a nice bit more than 200.

I'd imagine the prius one must be worth a fair bit since they're really attracting attention.

The common as muck 1.9tdi cat is worth €100-150

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuuhgfIQ93E

Man at work stealing a Prius CC.

Any merit in my homemade deterrent idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I guess the damage these idiots cause in the process of forcefully removing the cat, is only adding to the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Certain ethnic minorities at this for years.

They were targeting vans and 4x4 mostly as they are in large quite tubby so would have a hard time fitting under the smaller cars.

That and it was just more room under there which means much quicker exit too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 AudiAvant

Some are worth a nice bit more than 200.

I'd imagine the prius one must be worth a fair bit since they're really attracting attention.

The common as muck 1.9tdi cat is worth €100-150

I have 2 TDI cats from cars I broke
    We're would I get that sort of money for them?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Find your nearest Cultural Center?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Whoever's accepting them as scrap needs to be gone after hard. It's the same with copper theft. They need to cut off the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭selectamatic

AudiAvant wrote: »
    I have 2 TDI cats from cars I broke
    We're would I get that sort of money for them?
    Cheers

Clearway in sligo harbour

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Whoever's accepting them as scrap needs to be gone after hard. It's the same with copper theft. They need to cut off the market.

Exactly this, there must be a paper trail and cut out cash in this business.

Gardai have the power but aren't using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The 2nd generation Prius (2003-2009) seems to be a particularly popular target as the cat can be easily accessed and has good scrap/resale value. I don't believe the newer ones are being targeted, as I suspect the exhaust heat recovery system may be in the way of the cat (Gen 2 doesn't have this).

It's a common issue in California and the UK too. Some suggest either etching the reg or VIN onto the cat as a deterrent (or security devices like mentioned above), though I'm not sure how effective that is.

Catloc are a great deterrent as they need time, tools and to make noise to remove them so they won't risk it usually

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

elperello wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuuhgfIQ93E

Man at work stealing a Prius CC.

Any merit in my homemade deterrent idea?

Brazen out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It's a shame that Toyota didn't somehow manage to route a high voltage cable through the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What power have the Gardai to make scrap dealers require photo ID when buying? And even if they do catch them all that will happen is a day in court for the Garda and the person will still be stealing while on bail and as soon as they get out of prison, if they even end up there.

Our justice system is flawed and corrupt, solicitors and barristers make good money doing free legal aid cases so what's the incentive for reforming offenders, and it won't be fixed from the inside and our politicians don't have the guts to fix it.

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    Catloc are a great deterrent as they need time, tools and to make noise to remove them so they won't risk it usually

I agree.
    A physical barrier will deter them and they will move on to somebody else's car.
    Anything that the legal system can do to disrupt the market for stolen CCs should be done also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

Won't stop it gardai can't be bothered, mostly e Europeans/ and our own ethnic minority whos only 'travelling' is from rob to rob

Del2005 wrote: »
    What power have the Gardai to make scrap dealers require photo ID when buying? And even if they do catch them all that will happen is a day in court for the Garda and the person will still be stealing while on bail and as soon as they get out of prison, if they even end up there.

Our justice system is flawed and corrupt, solicitors and barristers make good money doing free legal aid cases so what's the incentive for reforming offenders, and it won't be fixed from the inside and our politicians don't have the guts to fix it.

Where did I say they did.

I was stating the obvious they have the power to catch them and most likely even know who is at it.

We need what I said in the scrap trade these changes could be brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

It's a shame that Toyota didn't somehow manage to route a high voltage cable through the middle of it.

a pity the ram didnt fail on the jack and squash the ba$%^"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

They don’t even do it under the cover of darkness in some places. Cheeky gits.

https://youtu.be/32a2LL38BBk

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AudiAvant

Clearway in sligo harbour

You know anywhere around Dublin? Thanks

AudiAvant wrote: »
    You know anywhere around Dublin? Thanks

Hammond lane should buy them off you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

This is why I voted for Peter Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

It's possibly eastern Europeans robbing them, so maybe they get sold to some scrap dealer over there, a Transit load of scrap would probably make the trip worthwhile.

• Advertisement

It's possibly eastern Europeans robbing them, so maybe they get sold to some scrap dealer over there, a Transit load of scrap would probably make the trip worthwhile.

I've seen a cubic metre container of cats sell for 16 thousand euro cash, so well worth their while and the risk

Advertisement