Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Offence decryption

Options
  • 24-02-2015 5:12pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at a prison register (all women) in Mountjoy, 1909.

Can anyone tell me what the bottom offence means?
    I've put in some extra lines to help with handwriting.
    The words are quite clear but not the meaning!

Thanks

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

It looks like an abbreviation for profane and obscene language

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

It looks like an abbreviation for profane and obscene language

A prison sentence for cursing. Imagine. Bloody hell! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

mod9maple wrote: »
    A prison sentence for cursing. Imagine. Bloody hell! :eek:
    That's a week in clink for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

The good old days, where have they gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It probably was just fishwife language, name calling. No drunk & disorderly mentioned. No lewd behaviour/language mentioned (a la Marquise de Dampierre). Constant niggles with neighbours got too much, row broke out. Possibly a bit of a harridan.:) (who could imagine it!) Could have been worse. Even Bono's use of the F word got dragged to the US Supreme Court a few years ago - google the 'fleeting expletive'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭kildarejohn

Somewhat off topic, but one thing I noticed when looking at prison records for men for that time period was that the weights shown were mostly quite low, under 12 stone, presumably because of poverty. Did the same apply to women?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Just look at any old photographs, very few heavy people in them. They didn't have takeaways or fizzy drinks. A picnic in the 1950's when I was a child would have meant tea, and egg sandwiches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Somewhat off topic, but one thing I noticed when looking at prison records for men for that time period was that the weights shown were mostly quite low, under 12 stone, presumably because of poverty. Did the same apply to women?

You need to look at height as well. People were not so tall in the past.

Advertisement