Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

19th Century Ancestors Married Each Other Twice!

Options
  • 10-02-2015 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

My earliest confirmed ancestors in the paternal line are a John Brunkard and Anne Dalton. They got married in St Catherine's Meath Street on 8th April 1834. I have a copy of the registry is attached and the priest that married them was known as being active in scholarly circles at the time. Definitely bonafide!

Except they got married again in 1841, 3rd October in St. Canice's in Finglas. Registry entry also attached! These are Roman Catholic parishes and documents and not civil records.

Any ideas why they would do that? It's a real head scratcher!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There wouldn't be any civil records from the 1830s/1840s.

It's a bit weird alright. Are you 100% sure it's the same couple?
    I was searching for a marriage recently, one relatively uncommon name, one common, and expected that in the relevant period there wouldn't be more than one marriage, but there was 3.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

pinkypinky wrote: »
    There wouldn't be any civil records from the 1830s/1840s.

It's a bit weird alright. Are you 100% sure it's the same couple?
    I was searching for a marriage recently, one relatively uncommon name, one common, and expected that in the relevant period there wouldn't be more than one marriage, but there was 3.

My surname is "Brunkard" and at that time (as now!) there wasn't that many of us around. I have two John Brunkards and Anne Daltons getting married in two churches that my family used at the time (St. Canice's Finglas and St. Catherine's in Meath Street).

Whacky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

What if the grooms were the same man, but the brides were different? One might be a spinster whose father had the same surname as her. The other bride might be a widow, and her father's surname would then be different to her's. Don't know if this is of any help to you. I also know of two couples where the bride's single name was the same name as her husband's so the bride's never changed her name and there was no apparent relationship between the two families! All sorts of weird and wonderful stuff in the records!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

My ggrandfather married twice. Both brides had the same names - they were cousins. I understand that it was not uncommon to marry a sister/cousin of the first wife who had died.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Those are good theories to follow up on. This guy is generating a lot of strange tales.

I have a Mrs Brunkard (with what looks like an A for "Anne" as an initial) and four children with first names and birthdates corresponding with those of the Children of John and Anne on a boat to Amerikay.

It seems that they all left during the famine with most of them dying in Albany New York then they came back. So very odd and sad.

I'll keep digging. It's amazing how stories such as this don't stick in the family lore.

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

It seems that they all left during the famine with most of them dying in Albany New York then they came back. So very odd and sad.

It sounds like you have done your Albany research, but here's two useful sources you may or may not have used:
    A book called Irish America, which is an incredibly detailed study of the Irish in Albany with lots of useful genealogical info. I did a blog post about it.

The Troy Irish Genealogy Society, based near Albany, has lots of useful databases on their website.

It sounds like you have done your Albany research, but here's two useful sources you may or may not have used:
    A book called Irish America, which is an incredibly detailed study of the Irish in Albany with lots of useful genealogical info. I did a blog post about it.

The Troy Irish Genealogy Society, based near Albany, has lots of useful databases on their website.

Thank you Joe. I was able to place them in Albany due to the New York census and Troy gang's excellent graveyard database.

I've more work to do on this but it looks like their farm was decimated during the famine and they went in two stages there but the enterprise or emigration failed. That book may reveal why and point to other sources that may churn up more info.

Advertisement