Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭tc20

hi5 wrote: »
    It's an optional tonneau cover over the rear seats.

thanks - looks odd though with the bulkhead (if that's the correct term) at the rear of the front seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

tc20 wrote: »
    thanks - looks odd though with the bulkhead (if that's the correct term) at the rear of the front seats.

Agree, the later 'Thelma and Louise' Thunderbird looks a lot better with it IMO.

ff97470626443306dccb8f701f8e5043.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Nah, the tonneau on the earlier model looks lower profiled, sleeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

KC161 wrote: »
    A Peugeot 405 over a Ford Thunderbird :confused:
    I'd take a Mi-16 405 over a floaty yank tank any day of the week. I would've thought most people would. Who da f*ck wants to be floating down the road in a big barge getting sea-sick and dreading the next turn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'd take a Mi-16 405 over a floaty yank tank any day of the week. I would've thought most people would. Who da f*ck wants to be floating down the road in a big barge getting sea-sick and dreading the next turn?

Unpredictability and the beauty of it :D

For a yank tank it wasn't as big as i thought it would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

KC161 wrote: »
    A Peugeot 405 over a Ford Thunderbird :confused:

Yes. Every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

The Mi16 is a fine car, but never likely to inspire a classic pop song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Brian Scan wrote: »
    The Mi16 is a fine car, but never likely to inspire a classic pop song.

Perhaps not, but there's a lot of us out there with no real grá for yank tanks, I appreciate them and appreciate & respect their following, but i'd still rather the peugeot in my shed..

My parent's T4 which turned 25 a few weeks ago. It looks pretty grubby in the photo, but to its merit it hadn't turned a wheel in three years just a few minutes prior to this photo being taken a few nights ago. Started easily with fresh diesel and a battery. Its getting a bit of work at the moment and a lick of paint. They're probably going to sell it, as its a bit big for them.

35061903060_0c4c4d7d1c_c.jpg

I have to say I'm usually no lover of septic tanks, but I appreciate a beautiful machine and imho that thunderbird is a work of art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Sometimes I wonder why some people here have such an interest in bland 80's sh1tboxes that were just that in their day and are the same now to me. Before I open my mouth about it though I stop and realise that we're all different and appreciate different things. Personally I wouldn't p1ss on a Pug if it was on fire but one man's sh1tbox is another man's dream car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Well an Mi16 is no run of the mill Peugeot. 1988 or 2017. Of course the 205 gti is a nailed on classic now. I'd like to see a Citroen bx gti that survived, but that would be rare outsude France. Similar car to the Mi16.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder why some people here have such an interest in bland 80's sh1tboxes that were just that in their day and are the same now to me. Before I open my mouth about it though I stop and realise that we're all different and appreciate different things. Personally I wouldn't p1ss on a Pug if it was on fire but one man's sh1tbox is another man's dream car.

You still managed to make your point.

French cars do nothing for me. Another thing I find it hard to appreciate is hot hatches. To me a Golf GTi or Focus ST is pretty much a fast version of a very ordinary car. Again, that's just my opinion and it doesn't mean I'm right and someone else is wrong. Whatever you appreciate and enjoy yourself is right for you. What someone else appreciates or doesn't appreciate is their own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Big Nasty wrote: »
    French cars do nothing for me. Another thing I find it hard to appreciate is hot hatches. To me a Golf GTi or Focus ST is pretty much a fast version of a very ordinary car. Again, that's just my opinion and it doesn't mean I'm right and someone else is wrong. Whatever you appreciate and enjoy yourself is right for you. What someone else appreciates or doesn't appreciate is their own business.

I'd rather a fast version of an ordinary car than a slow version of an american boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You can't bate the 405 really. You'd have to drive one for yourself to find out what you're missing :pac: They might have been ordinary back when they came out but so different to most cars on the road today.

Wouldn't say no to a Yank tank either. Twould be ideal for taking a girl to Empty Pockets before heading to a drive-in cinema for a bit of hanky panky

I'd rather a fast version of an ordinary car than a slow version of an american boat.

More power to you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Both cars have their merits and I wouldn't mind either of them in my shed but to me there is just something a bit more special about the ford, maybe it's the novelty or the rarity of those cars on our shores.

The peugeot will of course be a good bit better in the handling department though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

This is a fixture at my local. Sure call up to me and say hello if you're passing, I'm very easy to spot, don't be shy now... ;)

34620781364_27f67a3d54_k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Back of Trinity today. Towards the IfSC.

lLCmDGP.jpg

• Advertisement

There's often a nice Merc parked there. In the recent past I've seen a nice 70s or early 80s SL.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Spotted a black sports model 1995 something (don't know what it was). Boy raced off into the distance and got no pic. I find it very hard lately to catch pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Spotted a black sports model 1995 something (don't know what it was). Boy raced off into the distance and got no pic. I find it very hard lately to catch pics.

I saw a blue car earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

In the picture of the red Merc, what's the silver boxy thing in the background, just in front of the garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    In the picture of the red Merc, what's the silver boxy thing in the background, just in front of the garage?

That's a Nissan Cube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

There's often a nice Merc parked there. In the recent past I've seen a nice 70s or early 80s SL.

That'll be the Merc restoration work shop based there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

Audi 80 still looks good to me ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

IS THAT NOT AN AUDI 90

What?��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

mossy50 wrote: »
    IS THAT NOT AN AUDI 90

definitely not a 90, not with a tdi badge and tow hitch..

Advertisement