Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They keep the details under name,address,DOB,foreign licence number.

They would have enough there to tie a record to a new licence being issued, particularly a foreign DL number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I was told that points stay on ice until you get an Irish licence.

How exactly is this done? How do they put someones driving record 'on ice' and store it for future use? Is it done by your name, address, PPS number, foreign US license number, car registration details, insurance documents etc?

Surely if you change any of these details (buy a new car, get married, change addresses, change insurance companies etc etc) that makes it very hard for them to add on old offences to a new license?

if you have a us licence holder are named as the driver.or of you post a speeding fine, your points will be kept on file until such time that you exchange your foreign licence fire an irish one.

When you get am irish one, you will instantly have points (or an instant 6 month ban if you have 12 points)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

mickdw wrote: »
    I think it very important that the private company operating the speed cameras are only allowed setup at specific locations.
    Bad idea, people would just download the fixed locations from one of those dodgy speed camera web sites & stop speeding at just those locations while continuing to speed everywhere else.
    mickdw wrote: »
    What we don't want is a company who are probably on some sort of performance related pay being free to set up behind bushes etc.
    We don't have that. They're not paid based on the number of detections. They're paid for the number of hours work done.

Low-profile, hidden speed traps are the best way to go as people won't know when they'll be caught and also they won't be jamming on the brakes if they see one. Ideally, the first thing they should know is when they get the photo in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

In need of a good giggle?

Speed camera van get clamped.

http://twitpic.com/9itlls

I do believe that this falls into the " Ain't Karma A Bitch? " department :D

Old picture is still old. Still never to be proven authentic either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 AntFitz

gman2k wrote: »
    ironclaw wrote: »
    Anecdotally, I've heard Garda vans (And Garda vans only could have the authority to do this) have done people for bus lane usage and seat belt non-compliance.

This of course is an urban legend, and fortunately it is an untrue one.

How do you know this is untrue? I got done by a white van 4 years ago for using a mobile phone. I was a long distance away from the van, stopped at lights, answered phone, lights went green so hung up and eventually drive paste the van in slow moving traffic, which immediately pulled out behind me, and a few mins later put sirens on and pulled me over. Told me I was using the phone. So they obviously saw me on the camera.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A garda hopping out of a van after seeing you on the phone is different from a parked & unmanned* van that takes pics of speeding drivers which is what was being referred to by gman2k.

* Garda Gatso vans are unmanned, Spectra ones are manned by civilians

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Otac0n

Hi

Does anyone know if the unmarked garda still use a flash to detect license plates.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Congrats to whichever idiot parked the gatso van on a shop's driveway in Newbridge - people have to slow down for the speed bump, so I can't really imagine who'd possibly get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Saw something funny going into Dublin a few days ago, round Lucan there where the van always is on the left. I was tipping along and decided I'd slow down to 80 because the van always seems to be there when I'm going in.

Come around the corner and see it up ahead on the left, few hundred yards away. As I approach people are still flying past on the outside, thing was flashing literally every 2/3 seconds, but even though you could see it coming up no-one tried to slow down!

Thought it a bit strange, I'd imagine with the distance you can see it from that slowing down immediately would probably get you away with it but no, people just kept tearing through!

No excuse for that, no point blaming the van then when you get points, it's there regularly and plain to see, can't understand some drivers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

kbannon wrote: »
    A garda hopping out of a van after seeing you on the phone is different from a parked & unmanned* van that takes pics of speeding drivers which is what was being referred to by gman2k.

* Garda Gatso vans are unmanned, Spectra ones are manned by civilians

Garda vans are also manned

• Registered Users Posts: 16,265 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Padkir wrote: »
    Saw something funny going into Dublin a few days ago, round Lucan there where the van always is on the left. I was tipping along and decided I'd slow down to 80 because the van always seems to be there when I'm going in.

Come around the corner and see it up ahead on the left, few hundred yards away. As I approach people are still flying past on the outside, thing was flashing literally every 2/3 seconds, but even though you could see it coming up no-one tried to slow down!

Thought it a bit strange, I'd imagine with the distance you can see it from that slowing down immediately would probably get you away with it but no, people just kept tearing through!

No excuse for that, no point blaming the van then when you get points, it's there regularly and plain to see, can't understand some drivers!

Saw something similar today. Was coming out from the city and the speed van was in plain sight, some guy comes up behind me and passes me like there is no tomorrow.
    He must love paying out €80 fines to the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭mikeecho

On a side note
    The system that the GoSafe vans use has had its spec's updated.

The manufacturer stated that the device was
    Accurate to +/- 3km/hr (or +/- 1.5% , whichever is greater)

now they state that it is
    Accurate to +/- 1.5kph (or +/- 1.91% whichever is greater)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Saw something similar today. Was coming out from the city and the speed van was in plain sight, some guy comes up behind me and passes me like there is no tomorrow.
    He must love paying out €80 fines to the government.

A lot of dodgy registered cars around.. the bill probably doesn't come to his address.

From a reputable source and primarily the crowd from the easterly states..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

mikeecho wrote: »
    On a side note

Since you seem to know about the accuracy. Wonder if you can a question I posted a while back in this thread but didn't get a reply to (unless I missed it).
    Do you get a speed correction on the measured speed if you get a ticket in Ireland? Like you say the error is about 2-3% so do they take this of the measured speed when you're caught speeding?

On a side note

flyguy wrote: »
    Since you seem to know about the accuracy. Wonder if you can a question I posted a while back in this thread but didn't get a reply to (unless I missed it).
    Do you get a speed correction on the measured speed if you get a ticket in Ireland? Like you say the error is about 2-3% so do they take this of the measured speed when you're caught speeding?

There is no error correction that i am aware of, unlike in Holland / Germany.

Instead there is a tolerance before a ticket is issued.

The GoSafe Vans used to have a tolerance of 8km (9km over and you get a ticket)
    Since before xmas (which is when the new specs were introduced) the new tolerance is 4km (5km over and a ticket is issued)

The speed that is printed on your ticket, is the speed that the machine registered you at.

hope that helps.

(and no.. i wont be revealing my source)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Since before xmas (which is when the new specs were introduced) the new tolerance is 4km (5km over and a ticket is issued)
    Is that for all speed limits?

kbannon wrote: »
    Is that for all speed limits?

yes that is for all speed limits, be it 30/50/60/80/100/120 km/h

The Garda vans have a different tolerance.
    This may be due to the fact they use a different system
    The Garda system is accurate to the following:
    25 to 100km/h ± 3km/h
    100 to 240 km/h ± 3%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

There is no error correction that i am aware of, unlike in Holland / Germany.

Instead there is a tolerance before a ticket is issued.

The speed that is printed on your ticket, is the speed that the machine registered you at.

(and no.. i wont be revealing my source)

The tolerance is a commonly used with speed cameras, it cannot be used instead of a speed correction though. The cameras are set to a higher speed as the speed correction will normally correct the measured speed down to a speed which the fine is based on. If the camera were to be set to 1kph over the limit the correction will bring the speed below the limit.
    Eg. I got a ticket in France for doing 111kph in a 110 zone (the measured speed was 117kph minus 6kph correction). So they can't set the camera any lower than 117kph as the correction will bring it down to at/below the limit.

After I typed above I did some googling; is it correct that the price of a speeding ticket in Ireland is the same regardless how much you were exceeding the speed limit with? So if you do 200kph on a motorway (120kph limit) the ticket is the same price as doing 130kph? If so then there would be no need for a speed correction on the measured speed on top of the tolerance (in most countries fines go up for higher exceedances of the limit). However I could start a new discussion about how ridiculous it is to get the same fine for doing 10kph to fast or 100kph to fast...
    Another question, in a few countries (one being Netherlands) you instantly lose your licence if you get caught speeding more than 50kph over the limit, any similar penalties in Ireland or do you still get away with the €80 fixed penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

I was heading into Dublin this morning on the N7. Approaching one of the flyovers, I noticed a traffic cop biker parked on the "on slip" on the otherside of the dual carriage way. Who was he checking? cars heading south on the N7 or north on the N7?

Thanks
    W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I was heading into Dublin this morning on the N7. Approaching one of the flyovers, I noticed a traffic cop biker parked on the "on slip" on the otherside of the dual carriage way. Who was he checking? cars heading south on the N7 or north on the N7?

Thanks
    W.

There was probably an unmarked car checking the speeds from the flyover in the direction he was facing. He would then chase if a car was reported to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

irish-stew wrote: »
    There was probably an unmarked car checking the speeds from the flyover in the direction he was facing. He would then chase if a car was reported to him.

Sorry forgot to mention the biker cop had the gun out and was pointing north on the N7...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Spotted a non marked white transit speed van close to clonard and was wondering would this van be used for statistical purposes only? without been able to issue fines due to not having any markings?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

Thanks
    W.

I've seen a bike cop do this at the Belfield flyover on the N11 and at Jct 13 on the M7. They measure the speed of the cars heading in the direction they are facing (in your case cars heading south). They only go after cars that are speeding excessively.

Another question, in a few countries (one being Netherlands) you instantly lose your licence if you get caught speeding more than 50kph over the limit, any similar penalties in Ireland or do you still get away with the €80 fixed penalty?
    It is a one size fits all punishment. Simple system designed for easy administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

wierd question:o

seen someone in front of me do this tonight on the quays in dublin.

lets say your a a one way road, like the quays in dublin city, and theres a speed van there(garda or gatso), and as your driving towards it your going the speed limit, in this case 30k/ph:mad: anyway..........., il rant in another thread:D

so you go past it and speed up straight away, can you get done?

sorry if this is a really stupid question,lol

Nope. Once passed your in the clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

flyguy wrote:
    After I typed above I did some googling; is it correct that the price of a speeding ticket in Ireland is the same regardless how much you were exceeding the speed limit with? So if you do 200kph on a motorway (120kph limit) the ticket is the same price as doing 130kph?
    The authorities here still have a very mellow attitude towards road traffic offences but I do recall a judge in Kildare jailing a 200kph driver for dangerous driving. There was huge uproar in 'motoring'.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Last week a Go-safe survey van was parked on the N11 going northbound, just before off-slip to Glenview.

It's a 100 km/hr stretch but from the reaction of drivers to the survey van - sudden breaking despite being under the limit - I wonder will a speed detector van be more of the hinderance than a help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

shar01 wrote: »
    Last week a Go-safe survey van was parked on the N11 going northbound, just before off-slip to Glenview.

It's a 100 km/hr stretch but from the reaction of drivers to the survey van - sudden breaking despite being under the limit - I wonder will a speed detector van be more of the hinderance than a help?

well the survey van does look like the unmarked garda speed van, so they are just being sure

Advertisement