Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What should I buy???

• 07-11-2003 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

OK. Here's the deal. I have managed to re-neg the ol' contract in work and have wrangled a company car out of them. My budget in 40K. I was thinking of geeting the New Alfa 156 V6 Ti. My options are wide open, I can basically choose what I want. My preference is for a new car, but I could go for a v.good second hand one. BIK is a concern. So what would ye recomend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Nice one!:D

Are there practical considerations for the car like you need four doors or large luggage space for samples? Or do you have free reign?

As for the BIK, you will be hit harder if you buy a used motor, as BIK is assessed on the original market value of the car, not what your company pays for it. A better option here would be that if you want a more impressive car, you top up the company money with your own, with a clear exit policy that shall we say fixes your investment in the car at the original level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I have a free reign here. Whatever I want. I'm fairly up to speed on the BIK. I have 35K from the company and about 5k myself. No real practical considerations here, I currently drive a GTV, I have 3 kids et-al but "she who must be betrayed" has a Xsara Picasso, so we take that whenever we need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Right, Alfa's wouldn't be my choice, I'd be a Saab and convertible fan so in that vein:

The new Saab 9-3 sports saloon, very good reviews from most quarters, a real step up from the older model. Classy without being over the top, nice spec, good drive and performance. Pricey to service though. For a similar price you'd only get a very basic BMW 3 series or Audi A4

Corvertibly, I'd look at the Astra Bertone, nippy enough for a 1.8, but TBH I'm dubious about the whole package. Unfortunately the good convertibles need 50-60K new.

Judging by the fact you've a GTV, I expect you'd like something that little bit different and won't be heading down the road of a big marque luxury monster so I wouldn't even suggest it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

Merc C180 is not bad, the boss will be happy you didnt spend the whole 40k so you might ask him nicely to give you the balance.

A Laguna 1.9 6 speed is a lovely ride, avg 50mpg on combined city / country driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Don't buy the alfa unless you want to have a car in 3-4 years time and also don't buy unless you know FOR CERTAIN that you're keeping it as depreciation on alfas/fiats is ridiculous........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Is depreciation a consideration?

On most company cars it isn't, but maybe you have some kind of deal they'll sell you the car cheaply after 3 or 4 years. This is crucial for any recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭ando

DSC00214_jpg.jpg

Focus RS.... my dream car, and is around your budget.

Focus is supposed to be still a class leader

Was driving behind one tonight - it looked like a very small car, but that must have been me being knackered :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Fookin ould focus`es. Would u really waste a company car deal on an ould focus. Might aswell get a fiesta.

you don't know what your talking about rander

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Originally posted by ando
    you don't know what your talking about rander

ill second that big time!

My idea of a good car is something that very little people have, has good performance and will turn heads. If your into bling bling get a merc or bmw and join the executive class... or you can get youself that focus RS or even a civic type-r. They may look more or less the same as every other car on the road, but those who know about cars will definitly take a second maybe a third glance.

why not look about for an audi TT? They are around the 40k mark and are a sexual car imo.

Focus RS is around €48K. So out of my budget. Don't like the civic typr R and I would never drive a merc r BMW (Just don't like 'em). Audi TT is nearly €44.5K for the basic model. So that's a negative. I'm not worried about depreciation, as it is not my assett, I would go for a second hand Boxster, but the BIK would cruicfy me. I'm going to test the Alfa V6 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

Do yourself a major favor and check out topgear site to check the TGear survey for the latest results on Reliability and Performance. There are some amazing results. Mercedes has reported to be one of the most unrelaible makes with Skoda out gunning Volkswagen. This survey gives you a look into waht 50,000 users think of their cars.
    http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/survey_2003/01/
    Or check out jd power survey for better results. Seach in google for jd power motor survey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

VW GOlf MK4 With the red TDI 150BHP u can chip it to 190, that is if u dont want to use lots of petroil,

Wee thats what i have! :D

But i would love the R32.

Then if u got 40K to spend, well then get a Beemer, and get all leather and cool stuff inside.
    Or Merc.

I had to go over to italy to buy mine, cost, over here was over 25k,

Price in italy off a good dealer for a few months of car use?... 15.700 k very low milage, never used. Talk about money difference.

damn the bloody VRT in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

C@non, did u not have to pay the tax or vrt stuff when bringing it back home? Or what way does it work.

Cause it wasnt a new car u didnt have to pay it. Is that it.
    Class savings allright. This country is a ****hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Originally posted by Hobart
    OK. Here's the deal. I have managed to re-neg the ol' contract in work and have wrangled a company car out of them. My budget in 40K. I was thinking of geeting the New Alfa 156 V6 Ti. My options are wide open, I can basically choose what I want. My preference is for a new car, but I could go for a v.good second hand one. BIK is a concern. So what would ye recomend?

Used Honda Accord Type R, or a new Accord.
    New Mazda6
    Nearly new WRX STi
    €4k Micra and €36k on plastic and glue to make it go faster

ok the last one is a joke:p

Originally posted by Hobart
    I'm going to test the Alfa V6 tomorrow

I'm sure you won't be disappointed :cool:

Let us know how the test drive went

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Stay away from the alfa, unless you like visiting garages, and paying for the repair of loads of little niggly problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Buy a Micra and give the rest of the money to Future Forests :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Buy one of these....

Stay away from the alfa, unless you like visiting garages, and paying for the repair of loads of little niggly problems.
    Alfa did have a bad rep as a manufacturer. However I have been driving a GTV for quite a while now with no issues, aprt from the usual servicing etc.... I've had a drive in a Audi and they do nothing for me(wouldnt mind an S6 tho!!). The Mazda6 has a certain plasticiness(sp?) to it and they have become the new rep-mobile.

The new 156 looks stunning. I can just about aford the Ti, which has a fantastic spec. I off to try it out now. Let ye know how I'm get on.

Well had a drive in the new 156. The car is awesome. Incredable acceleration. Great mid-range (30 - 70). The Ti has a super spec. Full leather, 17" alloys, Sports suspensionetc..... Was offered €6K for my 96GTV by the dealer and a €1.5K fleet discoun, which leaves me with €2.5 in my pocket for next years hols.

I am going to have a look at a Civic type R and maybe a Second hand TT before I decide. But I have to say pretty impressed by the Alfa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

TBH i'd buy a skoda octavia, and pocket the change, and go on a really nice holiday. I know it's a skoda but take a look at the superb range...they're really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by SheroN

My boss in the U.K. has had his 156 engine replaced 3 times in the last year.
    In the end they gave him a new car.
    There's far better cars out there for the same money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PerfrmanceCars

<edit> Removal of pimpage </edit>

Self promotion is not allowed on boards.ie.... if you want to advertise your company please talk to the admin team about advertising....

If you are unclear about what the above means, please feel free to contact the admin team or the forum moderator.

Thx

V.

don't be fooled by the dealer giving you a good price on your GTV because what they usually do then is screw you for the price of the new 1........if u buy an alfa it'll be worth half what u paid for it in 3 or 4 years man not to mention reliability...........

Originally posted by pedro ferio-vti
    don't be fooled by the dealer giving you a good price on your GTV because what they usually do then is screw you for the price of the new 1........if u buy an alfa it'll be worth half what u paid for it in 3 or 4 years man not to mention reliability...........
    Ok. For the last time. I am not concerned what the alfa is worth next year. It is a company car. And the Depreciation is of no concern to me. Secondly. I am no fool. I know what my current card is worth.

that time of the month again eh.........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No m8. But to be honest I have answered this question at least twice. The thread start specifically said that I was looking at a "company" car and I had concerns about the "BIK". So guess what?? Depreciation is not a concern. Sorry about being curt. ;)

Advertisement