Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DEMOY surname, graves LACKAGH area-help?

• 03-02-2015 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

looking for grave of JOHN DEMOY b. abt 1821 d. 1893 in Rathfee, Turloughmore, Lackagh, Galway.
    I have not been able to find my gr gr gr grandfathers death record or his grave. I have already written to GRO and I know that there is a record, as someone located the information for me. No one can now seem to find any record. Frustrating! DEMOY is the correct spelling, but may be listed as DEMAY. Also looking for graves for Bridget "Biddy" Demoy b.1854 d.1884 at Galway Union Workhouse. She had a daughter Mary b.1874. Cant find any other record or grave for any of them.

Anybody know which graveyard or cemetery would have been used in that area, in 1850-1900? Thanks for any and all help! I already have all the DEMOY info for Derbyshire. I have all census. There are no DEMOY listed on Valuations/ Landholders Tax, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

here's the death on the BMD Index - is this the one you tried ordering ?

Name: John Demoy
    Event Type: Death
    Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1893
    Registration District: Galway
    Reported Age: 72 (est. year of birth 1821)
    Volume : 4 / Page : 171

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The civil parish for Rathfee is Lackagh, which is also the name of the Catholic parish. Unfortunately like many RC parishes there's no mention of historic death/burials for this parish. There might possibly be a headstone if the family could afford one.

There's no graveyard attached to the current chapel, or the one on the c1890/1900 OSI map, but there is one a short distance to the south of it, although it may be too recent for your Demoys. It's located in the same townland as the Chapel - Lackagh Beg.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

shanew wrote: »
    There's no graveyard attached to the current chapel, or the one on the c1890/1900 OSI map, but there is one a short distance to the south of it, although it may be too recent for your Demoys. It's located in the same townland as the Chapel - Lackagh Bge.

That Graveyard is very recent. This was the main graveyard and it is still used but no new graves are being opened. This graveyard is on the 1846 OSI map so there is a good chance your Demoys are buried here.

There is another possibility. There is a small graveyard at Kilskeagh church which is in the townland of Rathfee[URL=" http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,546525,735647,6,7"] HERE[/URL]
    Not sure if there is access to it now. This graveyard may have still been used and it would have been quite near to where your Demoys lived. Worth checking it out.

Advertisement