Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Declaring car off the road - problem

Options
  • 14-02-2014 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

I purchased a car at the end of january, and only got the log book this morning. I went to the tax office to declare it off the road and they can't do it as more than 10 days have passed between me purchasing the car and the declaration.

They told me to ring Shannon but that was pointless; they said it was nothing to do with them. I went back to the tax office and they told me they could do nothing about it; the only way I can get around not paying for the tax is to sign the log book into a family members name and declare it off the road again, in their name.

I'd like to avoid having another name on the logbook - anyone any suggestions on what I could do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 waterfordjs

id imagine they mean temporarily transfering the logbook to a relative but you wouldnt be insured on it until its back in your own name again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

That is some grade A Catch 22 right there. Escalate it, people on the counter/phone probably dont have the authority to apply common sense, as much as they might like to...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Do you actually need the logbook to tax or declare off road now? If you do, the 10 day period is a joke as it's unlikely anyone would be able to avail of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

There is a section in rf150 that requires you to fill in the serial number off the log book.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

There is a section in rf150 that requires you to fill in the serial number off the log book.

Yes, but if you skip that it won't make the form invalid.
    You should have declared it within 10 days of purchasing.

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    Yes, but if you skip that it won't make the form invalid.
    You should have declared it within 10 days of purchasing.

I know that now; why was it put on the form if it wasn't needed?!

If I went in to tax the car with no insurance details on the form, they would make a big deal out of it (from experience), how was I to know that would be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

mental note to oneself , get the number off the log book before driving away in new car

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Notch000 wrote: »
    mental note to oneself , get the number off the log book before driving away in new car

Don't think that would be a runner as that would be the number of the old log book. If for example the car was out of tax already, the previous owner wouldn't be eligible to declare off road.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jodina2

hi im about to buy a car,but ill be declaring it of the road as it needs work done to it,do i have to wait for the log book to arrive before i can post my rf150 form to local tax office,or can i post it as soon as i buy the car,its just the 10 day rule is pushing it,itl take probably 10 days to receive the log book from shannon

I was told, by Shannon, to ring daily and see if they have processed the book; if they have, get the serial number off them and explain why you need it. It took 9 days from date of purchase to changeover; if it takes over 10 days I'm not sure what happens - it won't be in your name to declare it off the road until after the allowed time!

I was told by my local tax office that they will accept the form without the serial number, again explaining why you don't have it at the time.

UPDATE: I think I have this problem sorted though, after a lot of calls and emails between my county tax office and the DOE in Shannon, a very helpful employee has gone to great lengths to get it rectified. Basically, the local tax office was saying they could do nothing about it and Shannon were saying it wasn't their problem. A guy working in the county tax office has had lots of experience with this lately and was sick of the lack of foresight in setting the rules that govern it. He told me to email a particular individual in Shannon; she told me not to bother her (more or less) and I heard little else about it. Then the lad from the tax office rang me last week to say that Shannon had admitted there was a mistake and allow me to declare it off the road. I am currently awaiting confirmation that it is all done and dusted!

• Advertisement

Jesus talk about Getting the run around,why cant it be just straight forward,hopefully youll get it sorted, and that I wont have to go through the same.

Jesus talk about Getting the run around,why cant it be just straight forward,hopefully youll get it sorted, and that I wont have to go through the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I got my confirmation slip in the post last week; if anyone else is having similiar trouble, pm me and I'll give you the email address of the individual in Shannon that you can query about it!

Advertisement