Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Theory test

• 05-11-2003 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

If you are stopped by a guard while on driving on the road you need to be able to show them a license, if asked. So are you not able to drive on the road with your theory test only? Coz i have a friend who is 17. She has insured her car and has her theory and she drives with an adult with a full license but doesnt she need at least her provisional to be able to drive on the public roads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by sci0x
    If you are stopped by a guard while on driving on the road you need to be able to show them a license, if asked. So are you not able to drive on the road with your theory test only? Coz i have a friend who is 17. She has insured her car and has her theory and she drives with an adult with a full license but doesnt she need at least her provisional to be able to drive on the public roads?

it's illegal to drive a car on public roads without at least a provisional licence and if you only hold a provisional licence you must have a driver with a full licence with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Thats exactly what I thought, she thinks her theory is her provisional license ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

isnt anyone educated these days!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Originally posted by Phreak
    it's illegal to drive a car on public roads without at least a provisional licence and if you only hold a provisional licence you must have a driver with a full licence with you.

unless its your 2nd provisonal in which case your allowed to be by yourself, this hasn't been changed yet as far as I know.

As for having theory test, all she gotta do is go in and get provisonal licence, just fill in a form thats it, isn't there a time limit on how long you can do this with out having to resit the theory test again. Think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by Gideon
    unless its your 2nd provisonal in which case your allowed to be by yourself, this hasn't been changed yet as far as I know.

As for having theory test, all she gotta do is go in and get provisonal licence, just fill in a form thats it, isn't there a time limit on how long you can do this with out having to resit the theory test again. Think so.

Yeah when you get your theory cert you have a year to apply for the provisional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

She's either a chancer or an idiot, and whatever fully-licenced adult is in the car when she's driving without a licence is either irresponsible or also an idiot.

Seriously, do people not read the rules of the road anymore?? I thought it was just moron cyclists :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Provo license is less than 1% of her insurance and I've had one issued on the morning of my driving test.

SO NO EXCUSES - it's cheap and quick.

anyone that stupid/selfish deserves a lifetime ban

Cars are the leading cause of accidental death for 15-40 year olds, and in most of those cases the accident was not caused by the dead person... It scares me the number of Airheads who don't realise this.

Betcha she'll want to drive an SUV when she grows up.

BTW: can you name and shame the insurance company !
    No wonder premiums are so high, they obviously DON'T CARE if you can drive or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Relax there Midnight.

What difference does a Provo. make to her driving capabilities? Is she somehow a better driver with one?
    Yeah its stupid not to get one, and she should, but its not going to save any lives here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My Insurance policy states

"Provided that the person driving holds a licence to drive such vehicle or, having held such a licence, is not disqualified from holding such a licence."

So AFAIK she is NOT insured. Again name and shame the insurance company - they are either taking money on false pretenses or are they insuring people who are not legally allowed to drive.

[RANT]

Yes I am angry -
    - my insurance is up for renewal and it's gone UP again.
    - If my death is caused by someone else it will statistically be most likely to be caused by a young driver driving beyond thier competance.
    - young ladies are the group who drive fastest in urban areas when on their own in a car.
    (Off topic - If am mugged or burgled it will most likely be by a drug addict)
    Overall I am sick and tired of Govts talking about Crime / Road Safety since they have not tackled either problem at it's root.
    Preventition not Punishment !

Penalty points are nice - having an adult sitting beside you when learning is nice - but when that adult is allowed to give lessons based on a half hour driving test they may have fluked...

And as for saving lives
    The reason you need a license is because cars are dangerous.
    It is not a toy - it is a killing machine unless handled competantly.
    It is the attitude I question, you can't learn to use a circular saw on a building site without a safepass card.. If she thinks she can drive without a license maybe she thinks she can get away with murder because she is "only learning".

I got a lift off someone yesterday - female - over 50mph in a 30 zone - indicated correctly at one out of four roundabouts, has five years no-claims, relies on brakes rather than anticipatition...

Your friend might be the safest driver out there, but to me she don't seem to have the right attitude

BTW: I also hope she has REAL L-Plates, I am sick of people trying to hide their L-Plates by removing the white part.. That is dangerous, the whole point it to let other road users know that you are inexperianced. But with 400,000 on provo licences and so many not showing L-Plate I don't suppose it really matters...

[/RANT]
    I saw one lad heading on to the M50 Slip road while the Girl in the car climbed into the back seat to take the L-Plate off the back window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

of course he's pissed off its the same as not having insurance they would be well with in their rights not to pay up as she lied on the contract, i don't think its a name and shame job tho, Do insurance companies ever look to see if you've a licence????

I know people who just lie about everything on what they insure, licence age etc as they use the bike in the middle of the country, not an excuse just their reasoning for it.

SO maybe you've a point and insurance companies should have to check up? or are they meant to, i honestly dont' think so.

Gid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    I got a lift off someone yesterday - female - over 50mph in a 30 zone - indicated correctly at one out of four roundabouts, has five years no-claims, relies on brakes rather than anticipatition...
    Unfortunately, a ridiculous amount of people seem to drive like this. I would have thought that anticipation, and always thinking 250 metres ahead of where you're driving would be common sense, but it seems to be something that a lot of instructors don't teach.

Observation and anticipation are two of the most fundamental parts of road safety :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by sci0x

Insurance companies do ask "Do you have a provisional or full license?"
    I would imagine she said she had a provisional and therefore gave an untrue statement to the insurance company which means she ;
    has no license as required by law
    has no insurance as required by law.

You'll find that the insurance company will have no problem taking this girl's money off her every month, but if she has an accident and she goes to claim, she won' be covered.
    And if the Gardai are called to the scene and find she doesn't have a license, she'll be done for that too.
    An exam result is not a license.

From Oasis;
    "Since the commencement of the Driver Theory Testing Service on 11 June 2001, a theory test certificate must be obtained before a first provisional licence in a particular vehicle category is granted."

"It is a statutory requirement (i.e., the law) in Ireland that you must hold at least a provisional licence if you want to drive a motor vehicle in a public place. From 1st January 2003 if you hold a provisional licence, you are required to carry your licence with you at all times when driving in Ireland."

Originally posted by Gideon
    i don't think its a name and shame job tho, Do insurance companies ever look to see if you've a licence????

We've had to give photocopies of our licences before getting cover... - how much does it cost to photocopy and then fax - how long does it take for someone to verify the name on the fax is the same as on the application.
    And with the price they charge they should check - let's face it you can fly to London (check at the ticket desk and at entrance to lounge and possibly at gate or arrivals) for less than the comission on most insurance policies...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    We've had to give photocopies of our licences before getting cover... - how much does it cost to photocopy and then fax - how long does it take for someone to verify the name on the fax is the same as on the application.
    My broker insisted I produce the licence (and not just the receipt) so they could fax it over to Hibernian before they'd insure me. Had to wait a month to get insured, by which time, my insurance had risen by €550 because, "Oh, they raised their premiums at the start of the month" :mad:
    Funny thing is, if I'd rang Hibernian direct, they would have insured me over the phone, without proof of a licence, and I could have saved that money. Fuckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

As far as I know, the insurance will cover third party liabilities for drivers who are driving without a licence/unsupervised on a provisional, but they won't cover anything else, and may well come after the policy holder for the claim afterwards.

Advertisement