Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota Rav 4 hybrid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭gotapaininmy

Is there some way of contacting Toyota Europe on that issue? Toyota Ireland are probably clueless on the engineering side of things.

Don't know must look into it. I did find a UK forum where they at least replied to people who had questions about it. General theme is "Follow our social media platforms for updates".

Toyota have told me Apple CarPlay and Android auto will be made available through a software upgrade "some time" in 2020, bit vague but better than nothing I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Toyota have told me Apple CarPlay and Android auto will be made available through a software upgrade "some time" in 2020, bit vague but better than nothing I suppose

I am not sure who I talked to or who I heard it from, did they confirm it would be a fre upgrade? it was suggested to me if would be a chargable one.....

Just checked the mail they sent, doesn't actually say it will be free no.:mad:

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I am not sure who I talked to or who I heard it from, did they confirm it would be a fre upgrade? it was suggested to me if would be a chargable one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Has the new Rav 4 got variable cruise control that will come to a complete stop if need be. As if a the vehicle in front of you comes to a complete stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭AlanD

Mach Two wrote: »
    Has the new Rav 4 got variable cruise control that will come to a complete stop if need be. As if a the vehicle in front of you comes to a complete stop.

I had a loaner new corolla hybrid estate for 3 days last week and it has the same TSS 2.0 tech as the RAV4. This car did have adaptive cruise that went from moving to a full stop. It was very impressive indeed and worked well.

So much so that I purchased one.

It has a precollision system.....also full range and adaptive cruise control....

The Camry has lane assist as well so not sure if Rav does but I would expect it....never got enough of a test drive to confirm

It has a precollision system.....also full range and adaptive cruise control....

The Camry has lane assist as well so not sure if Rav does but I would expect it....never got enough of a test drive to confirm

RAV 4 does have lane keep assist yes.

I rang the local toyota dealer about the new RAV4, told me I was welcome to come in again and discuss but he would be selling me a 2020 plate as they have none left

The boom is back baby!!!

Does that mean it will not rear end a vehicle in start stop traffic. As in a traffic jam.

• Advertisement

Does that mean it will not rear end a vehicle in start stop traffic. As in a traffic jam.

That's correct

Adaptive cruise control is for the motorway.....so you are on M3 and doing 120km/h....car in front slows down and instead of you having to slow down and then turn back on the cruise the car will slow down automatically.....

I would never suggest using it in a traffic jam.......

I would be concerned that people switching lanes like us Irish love to do would just throw off the system and cause a crash.....

Now the adaptive cruise control on my VW will bring the car to a complete stop if required

Adaptove cruise control is for the motorway at speed.....so you are on M3 and doing 120km/h....car in front slows down and instead of you having to slow down and then turn back on cruise the car will slow down

I would never suggest using it in a traffic jam.......

In a new corolla I had last week, this worked extremely well in a traffic jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

AlanD wrote: »
    That's correct

I dont think automatic emergency braking or pre-collision or whatever else Toyota call it, is something you can 100% rely on. Put it this way, if you rear end a car while using that system I doubt you will be able to sue Toyota for the damage.

I bet the small print will say something like "prevent or reduce the severity of an accident".

Did the adaptive cruise control keep you a certain distance from the vehicle in front of you or did it just prevent you from hitting it as if a collision was imminent.

If you want to risk it

The clue is in the name "Adaptive cruise control".....the system is not designed for use in heavy traffic

With my system you confirm the gap you want between your car and the car in front, that space would be loads of other cars to jump in front of me......would the system pick it up? maybe

Would it jam on brakes and cause someone to run upmy ass? probably

Did the adaptive cruise control keep you a certain distance from the vehicle in front of you or did it just prevent you from hitting it as if a collision was imminent.

I think you are mixing up two separate features that most new cars now have.

AEB - Automatic Emergency Braking (Toyota call it pre-collision)
    You should hope you never use this feature. It will do its best to prevent you running into someone but its not guaranteed. The hint is also in what Toyota call it.... they didnt say crash prevention, they call it pre-collision... so they still expect a collision in some cases

Active Cruise control (or Smart cruise control).
    This is just an enhancement to old style cruise control where it will speed up and slow down automatically maintaining a set distance from the car in front of you but doesnt really work that well in stop/start or very slow moving traffic. Most cars will bring the car to a stop but wont automatically start again when the car in front moves away. Its primarily, as others have said, for cruising not for stop/start traffic.

If you want to risk it

The clue is in the name "Adaptive cruise control".....the system is not designed for use in heavy traffic

With my system you confirm the gap you want between your car and the car in front, that space would be loads of other cars to jump in front of me......would the system pick it up? maybe

Would it jam on brakes and cause someone to run upmy ass? probably

I found that it works flawlessly in traffic. With a gap set to one bar, so about a car length, in traffic it will do two things,

When the car comes to a pretty gentle stop (automatically) the screen shows that it's waiting, if the car in front moves away in a few seconds, the car will just pick up speed and slow down again when needed.

If you are stopped for a little longer than the 'waiting' period, you restart the car moving by pressing the throttle or the resume cruise button.

The car's steering will then follow the car in front.

I found that the car would come to a stop in traffic less than a car length away.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

I rang the local toyota dealer about the new RAV4, told me I was welcome to come in again and discuss but he would be selling me a 2020 plate as they have none left

The boom is back baby!!!

Seemingly if one orders today will be in November/December. But very few will want to register then so some dealers giving people 2020 date.

KCross wrote: »
    I think you are mixing up two separate features that most new cars now have.

AEB - Automatic Emergency Braking (Toyota call it pre-collision)
    You should hope you never use this feature. It will do its best to prevent you running into someone but its not guaranteed. The hint is also in what Toyota call it.... they didnt say crash prevention, they call it pre-collision... so they still expect a collision in some cases

Active Cruise control (or Smart cruise control).
    This is just an enhancement to old style cruise control where it will speed up and slow down automatically maintaining a set distance from the car in front of you but doesnt really work that well in stop/start or very slow moving traffic. Most cars will bring the car to a stop but wont automatically start again when the car in front moves away. Its primarily, as others have said, for cruising not for stop/start traffic.
    I appreciate what you are saying but it might work in traffic as well. Alan D gives a good description as to what his car does.

• Advertisement

I found that it works flawlessly in traffic. With a gap set to one bar, so about a car length, in traffic it will do two things,

When the car comes to a pretty gentle stop (automatically) the screen shows that it's waiting, if the car in front moves away in a few seconds, the car will just pick up speed and slow down again when needed.

If you are stopped for a little longer than the 'waiting' period, you restart the car moving by pressing the throttle or the resume cruise button.

I found that the car would come to a stop in traffic less than a car length away.

Out of curiosity did it come to a gentle stop of its own accord or did you do some braking yourself. With that system would it be fair to say that all rearenders will be eliminated. It would be hard to just let the car "do its own thing".

My system does the same, the issue is if someone decides your lane is faster than the lane they are in and jumps into that space left for adaptive.....either the system might not recognise the car as it came from side or if it does then it will jam on brakes to get back the 1 car space and the car behind you goes up you bum.....

It would also be your fault for the crash.....how many k will that cost you in current claim culture?

If you are found to have cruise control engaged could you be done for dangerous driving? not sure just a question

My system does the same, the issue is if someone decides your lane is faster than the lane they are in and jumps into that space left for adaptive.....either the system might not recognise the car as it came from side or if it does then it will jam on brakes to get back the 1 car space and the car behind you goes up you bum.....

It would also be your fault for the crash.....how many k will that cost you in current claim culture?
    Are you speaking from experience. Would it jam on the brakes or just slow to achieve the gap. If the vehicle behind you had the same system would it not prevent it from hitting your car.

Out of curiosity did it come to a gentle stop of its own accord or did you do some braking yourself. With that system would it be fair to say that all rearenders will be eliminated. It would be hard to just let the car "do its own thing".

Yes, it came to a gentle stop all by itself, you could feel the car feathering the brakes.

And to your point about letting it do it's own thing, and in agreement with Shefwedfan, you've got to keep your wits about you and take over...you're the driver at the end of the day. These tools are just assistants. This isn't autonomous driving by any stretch, but boy does it get close. For all normal traffic situations, following the car in front, it was really great. All other situations with a level of unpredictability, you've got to deal with it.

I was so impressed with the loaner, that I bought one on Saturday. A corolla estate Sol spec. Picking it up tomorrow!

Yes, it came to a gentle stop all by itself, you could feel the car feathering the brakes.

And to your point about letting it do it's own thing, and in agreement with Shefwedfan, you've got to keep your wits about you and take over...you're the driver at the end of the day. These tools are just assistants. This isn't autonomous driving by any stretch, but boy does it get close. For all normal traffic situations, following the car in front, it was really great. All other situations with a level of unpredictability, you've got to deal with it.

I was so impressed with the loaner, that I bought one on Saturday. A corolla estate Sol spec. Picking it up tomorrow!

So I expect it would be better to drive the vehicle as normal and let the car take over if a collision was inevitable. Therefore keeping your with about you. Thanks for the description of the cars technology it was very informative.

So I expect it would be better to drive the vehicle as normal and let the car take over if a collision was inevitable. Therefore keeping your with about you. Thanks for the description of the cars technology it was very informative.

I reckon after some time, you'll build trust and get to know it's limitations and understand what it genuinely can deal with. Until we hit level 3 autonomous driving, the driver is the person with the responsibility. Everything else is an aid.

Absolutely not.

The most the car will be able to achieve is to hit the brakes a split second before you thus reducing the impact. It wont do drastic wheel turn movements or make any decisions about going for the ditch instead of the child etc. If a crash is inevitable and you see it happening you need to react the same as you would in any car.

KCross wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

The most the car will be able to achieve is to hit the brakes a split second before you thus reducing the impact. It wont do drastic wheel turn movements or make any decisions about going for the ditch instead of the child etc. If a crash is inevitable and you see it happening you need to react the same as you would in any car.

I mean drive the car as normal. As if there was no safety sense system in the car. Then if a collision was inevitable then the car would take over.

I mean drive the car as normal. As if there was no safety sense system in the car. Then if a collision was inevitable then the car would take over.

Depends on what you mean by "take over". Maybe I'm reading you wrong but you're giving the impression that if an accident is about to happen you can take your hands off the controls and the car will deal with the crash. Its nowhere close to that. The car wont "take over", as you put it, it will assist only.

It might apply blakes earlier than you can react... thats as much as it will do. You still need to react and brake and steer as soon as you can in the case of a collision.

• Advertisement

Are you speaking from experience. Would it jam on the brakes or just slow to achieve the gap. If the vehicle behind you had the same system would it not prevent it from hitting your car.

The system is allowed to brake very aggressively. On the screen you specify the distance between you and the car in front.....

At a minimum this is about 1 car lenght, now on the M50 in the morning and any sort of traffic if you leave anything above 5ft you have some plonker who will try and force his way in.

The car tracks the car in front and keeps the required space between them as you slow up and speed up. If suddenly that space is gone it will automatically slam on the brakes to try and get the 1 car space again. Now the car behind you might not expect that level of braking because of the gap....plough up your bum

It is your fault because you braked too hard.....

It is simple....it is called Adaptive Cruise Control. Would you use Cruise Control in a traffic jam? no you would never. On standard cruise as you drive along, the car in front slows up and you have to manually slow up your car and then when car starts to speed up again you start up cruise again. Of course you have idiots as well who speed up and down like a yo yo

All the adaptive is doing is allowing the car to speed up and down without you having to hit the brake etc. It is designed to assist with cruise control at high speeds. It is not designed for someone stuck in a traffic jam.

Advertisement