Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Oranmore are a club on the up. Win an Intermediate hurling title on the Saturday and are still able to beat senior team Monivea in a Div3 football league game the next morning by 20 odd points. Impressive stuff.

I stand corrected on this but I think Oranmore have the luxury of having little or no dual players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

fearruanua wrote: »
    I stand corrected on this but I think Oranmore have the luxury of having little or no dual players.

Yeah the Geoghegan brothers are the only two who start on both as far as I'm aware. Most the hurlers are from the Maree side, and footballers Oranmore

There was a lot of talk about them earlier in the year for the football with the transfer of Mark Ronaldson but they were very disappointing in going out to MB in the quarters, and I think are probably a few years off yet.

They were superb in the hurling though and I think will grab a few wins in Senior B next year and may take a big scalp or two. Niall Burke was outstanding on Saturday and the two McInerney brothers also.

Had no interest in the football after that filth from last week so went along to Athenry for the semis and was delighted I did. Was actually one of the biggest crowds I've ever seen in Kenny Park.

Went in a neutral but came out of it absolutely gutted for Cap after an absolute thriller. Jarlath Mannion is a serious hurler at corner forward and grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck when Mellows were cruising. On the other end Haran was fantastic for Mellows and won them the match. He has great aerial ability for his height. James Skehill missed a penalty which killed Cap for the remainder of the half.

Toms look top dogs. Darragh and Eanna Burke were outstanding for them. Kevin Cooney was Sars only real threat. Conor Cooney was at half-back and was a mix of OK and pretty poor for any dirty work. Just not that type of hurler tbf.

Yeah, absolutely great day out in Athenry yesterday

Toms doing enough, and showing the importance of having several ‘marquee’ forwards at club level - Eanna Burke was very quiet last week but outstanding yesterday. With Conor Cooney being well held they still had someone to step up and win the game. Darragh Burke has grown into a great forward too after being a defender all the way growing up. David still not at his brilliant best but him and Regan in the middle were much more assured this week. Brendan Farrell with about 1-2 from play again after his heroics in extra time last week. They’ll be hard to beat

Mellows will target their FB line though and they might have to go with Fintan at full back. Thought Tadhg Haran was outstanding aswell, he might be the best Galway hurler in the air. The rest of the forwards were below par though I thought, a lot of the game was won in the midfield sector really and a dominant half back line. Ja Mannion is an outstanding talent for cappy, and surely worth a look for Galway in the league.

Cappy probably just don’t have enough of a balanced starting 15. Maybe have missed their chance to make a county final now, I fancy Turlough and Bridge to push on next year to join Thomas’s and mellows at the top table

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Oranmore are a club on the up. Win an Intermediate hurling title on the Saturday and are still able to beat senior team Monivea in a Div3 football league game the next morning by 20 odd points. Impressive stuff.

Relatively big population out there now. You would expect them to be competitive in both codes going forward if they put the work in. Like Claregalway any of the satellite towns outside Galway city are well set up to be successful in the future as their populations are all growing.

Oranmore comfortably the best team in intermediate this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Relatively big population out there now. You would expect them to be competitive in both codes going forward if they put the work in. Like Claregalway any of the satellite towns outside Galway city are well set up to be successful in the future as their populations are all growing.

Oranmore comfortably the best team in intermediate this year.

They were undone by a dogged MB team who got two goals from two high balls into the square. Ronaldson seems to be the missing piece of the jixsaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

They were undone by a dogged MB team who got two goals from two high balls into the square. Ronaldson seems to be the missing piece of the jixsaw.

and losing 3 out of their starting backs to black cards in the first half didn't do much to help their cause either.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I know Mountbellew-Moylough were heavily criticized for how they tried to stifle Corofin but when you hear about the absolute hammering Clan na nGael are getting it shows they chose the better option. 20 points in it at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

grbear wrote: »
    I know Mountbellew-Moylough were heavily criticized for how they tried to stifle Corofin but when you hear about the absolute hammering Clan na nGael are getting it shows they chose the better option. 20 points in it at the moment.

I don't buy that. The end does not justify the means.

As a club player, I just wanted to play my football. If we are beaten by a better footballing team then so be it. I never ever wanted to go out to stifle the game and stop the other team from playing no matter how good they were.

MM didn't even come out to play in the replay when they were more than goal down with time running out fast. Crazy stuff.

Football is in tatters. Attendances will continue to decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

As a club player, I just wanted to play my football. If we are beaten by a better footballing team then so be it. I never ever wanted to go out to stifle the game and stop the other team from playing no matter how good they were.

MM didn't even come out to play in the replay when they were more than goal down with time running out fast. Crazy stuff.

Fully agree with you there sycamore tree.gone are the days of going out and playing ball and destroying the opposition with scores.its all tactical bullsh1t now. The days of kicking a long ball in are gone too.its all possession now and handball.i blame Mc Guinness for starting the rot

Saw the highlights of the hurling last night.

Same old faces but I'm hoping that was down to situation and that with planning we had to use the previous year's panel.

Ditto for tactics, the hope is we're going to implement changes in the New Year.

One change we need to see is Coen out of midfield, he hasn't the ball playing awareness to play in midfield, gets hooked at least once a game.
    Again for the first KK goal he was caught in possession in midfield.

I think the best option from what's there would be Cathal Mannion.
    That robs us of another forward and N.Burke and Flynn are just too hit and miss.

We really need to pull a few rabbits out of the hat next year as we're short all over the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

That's a nice sentiment, and maybe a lot of players feel like that.

As a club player, I want to win. If you just want to enjoy your football then you can play with the Junior Bs. At senior championship level, realistically you're playing to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭LooseCannonUF

Same old faces but I'm hoping that was down to situation and that with planning we had to use the previous year's panel.

Ditto for tactics, the hope is we're going to implement changes in the New Year.

One change we need to see is Coen out of midfield, he hasn't the ball playing awareness to play in midfield, gets hooked at least once a game.

That robs us of another forward and N.Burke and Flynn are just too hit and miss.

We really need to pull a few rabbits out of the hat next year as we're short all over the field.

I’m from Offaly, but would be friendly with a few Galway people.
    Doesn’t there seem to be a shocking lack of representation from Cappataggle for example?
    A workmate of mine constantly talks about a Mannion lad from “Cappy” that should be on the Galway team.

Mannion will be tried in the league no doubt but I'd imagine he'll still be a fair bit down in the pecking order come championship next year as it stands

No-one else from Cappy is good enough (Skehill already there), bar Claffey perhaps but the HB line is well stocked as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I’m from Offaly, but would be friendly with a few Galway people.
    Doesn’t there seem to be a shocking lack of representation from Cappataggle for example?
    A workmate of mine constantly talks about a Mannion lad from “Cappy” that should be on the Galway team.

Jarlath Mannion. Yeah he gave a bit of a virtuouso display against Mellows in the county semi-final recently. Hit 0-5 from play and had a few assists too. You'd imagine he will be on the 2019 panel to start the year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭cosatron

Jarlath Mannion. Yeah he gave a bit of a virtuouso display against Mellows in the county semi-final recently. Hit 0-5 from play and had a few assists too. You'd imagine he will be on the 2019 panel to start the year anyway.

paul claffey was wing back on MD very first team, dan nevin got a couple of games in the walsh cup 2 years ago, mannion is worth a look at. the beat on the street is that Joseph cooney is staying in Australia for the year which is a big loss imo. it was funny watching the match last night that our lads starting hurling when canning got sent off and I thought harte hurled well in a more advanced role. I think canning will need to be taken out of center forward and leave him corner forward with a licence to roam around between the full and half lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

As well as cappy what about mellows ? Last years county champions and in final again and not one player has being asked in for even a training session . Surely Sean Morrissy jack Hastings and haran are all worth a look .?i know haran was there before but he was young then and has matured into a better player . I asso agree with the others posters about Jarlath Mannion . He was excellent last Sunday and deserves a chance as well.

There wasn't much opportunity to bring them in this year as they were involved with club until February.

Either way they're a very good collective side with not many stand out individuals. Haran is the only one I can see being called up. Sean Morrissey and Mike Conneely have gotten Walsh Cup/League matches under Donoghue

We’re not short all over the field . We’re after being in all Ireland final 3 of last 4 years winning one . And I’m
    Convinced barring having to replay semi final v Clare we would have won two . The second Clare game was a match to far . Even joe canning said that . But we do need to bring in 4 or 5 players . Need competition for goalkeeper corner backmaybe another option at midfield and a forward . I think u will see 7 or 8 new faces in panel for league . Whether there good enough or not remains to be
    Seen . If coen no longer has legs for midfield we could see him going back to corner back like he used to Be .

Kilduff from Bridge could be a serious contender for Champ panel in midfield next year

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'm not going to try and argue that Mountbellews approach made for a good game or that it's a good thing that they employed such tactics. Corofin are just an exceptional team and it'll take a ferocious team to outplay them. Nemo tried and got beat out the gate on Patrick's day. Maybe Crokes with the firepower they have can take Corofin on in an open match and come out on top but I'd expect Ballintubber to try and choke the life out of the final and rely on the exceptional accuracy of the O'Connors when they manage to create half a chance.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to try and argue that Mountbellews approach made for a good game or that it's a good thing that they employed such tactics. Corofin are just an exceptional team and it'll take a ferocious team to outplay them. Nemo tried and got beat out the gate on Patrick's day. Maybe Crokes with the firepower they have can take Corofin on in an open match and come out on top but I'd expect Ballintubber to try and choke the life out of the final and rely on the exceptional accuracy of the O'Connors when they manage to create half a chance.

They will have a plan in place to try and suck the life out of Corofin. The new rules will be interesting if they filter down to club level. It wont make too much of a change imo. Id say that club managers are already plotting on how to use the changes as a quick advantage offensively and to snub out the same advantage defensively. Re-arranging the deckchairs on the titanic for ye purist football types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

They will have a plan in place to try and suck the life out of Corofin. The new rules will be interesting if they filter down to club level. It wont make too much of a change imo. Id say that club managers are already plotting on how to use the changes as a quick advantage offensively and to snub out the same advantage defensively. Re-arranging the deckchairs on the titanic for ye purist football types.

Like the titanic, football also sank.

djPSB wrote: »
    Like the titanic, football also sank.

Depends what way you view football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Depends what way you view football

It's very very simple.

Football should be a sport that people enjoy both playing and watching.

People are already voting with their feet at Club and County football matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Davy Glennon transfer from mullagh to loughrea gone threw look a good bet next year loughrea

Dickie9 wrote: »
    Davy Glennon transfer from mullagh to loughrea gone threw look a good bet next year loughrea

Jesus Glennon can’t keep away from bad headlines if true . What’s the reason for move

spurshero wrote: »
    Jesus Glennon can’t keep away from bad headlines if true . What’s the reason for move

He's residing in loughrea

It seems he's been looking for a transfer a number off years now reckon Johnny Maher will stay on one more year

He must Ave his debt well paid back now with all d pr he's doing!

Where did you hear this? Glennon lives in Oranmore I thought

Dickie9 wrote: »
    He's residing in loughrea

It seems he's been looking for a transfer a number off years now reckon Johnny Maher will stay on one more year

He must Ave his debt well paid back now with all d pr he's doing!
    He’s living in oranmore . And sure even if he was living in Loughrea that would be no reason to leave mullagh . Sure there can’t be much more then few miles between the clubs

• Advertisement

spurshero wrote: »
    He’s living in oranmore . And sure even if he was living in Loughrea that would be no reason to leave mullagh . Sure there can’t be much more then few miles between the clubs

He's working in loughrea gym....looks like he has been looking for transfer a number off years all low key ud think it be in the paper big transfer

Advertisement