Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭cosatron

I mentioned power for competition, obviously if Flaherty is back from injury he will be in goal and after that who is there.

Wasn't specifically you, he came up earlier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭vid36

There is some queue on the Ticketmaster site.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I've no issue with people praising Joyce but that last sentence just isn't accurate at all. You could made apply it to where Galway were when Kevin Walsh got the job but when he left Galway were a Division 1 team with a solid squad and the promise of a few really good young lads coming through. Plenty of people would have gone for the job but once Joyce put his hand up you weren't going to get people running against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭MfMan

A few random comments.

The stats graphic mightn't be aesthetically pleasing, but it's complimentary enough to us, with few wides and good scoring efficiency.

Was Shane Walsh fully fit at all? Made very few trademark pacey runs.

How many scores did we concede from turnovers or silly passing mistakes? One of the big work-ons after the day.

Of our starting 15 yesterday, numbers 7 - 15 all scored from play, very encouraging.

Our players who are not CCW (Comer, Conroy, Walsh) are now doing a share of heavy lifting. McDaid, Finnerty. Molloy & McHugh at times, Tierney (better yesterday at last), Kelly, Heaney all fairly solid. Even Glynn didn't look out of place yesterday.

Our subs made an impact; O'Laoi added pace and penetration and scored with his first kick, Gallagher was involved, Billy Mannion (what a debut!) was very good for the goal.

I wouldn't mind being outnumbered by Armagh fans yesterday, because it was their first big day in CP for a long time, but our support was still very poor. No excuses the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

Not a Galway man but delighted ye won that game yesterday.

Really enjoy watching Galway, ye have 6 top class forwards. I always feel the northern teams are overrated. When ye started to dominate the game and pull away yesterday Armagh resorted to cynical stuff to halt yere flow. I felt that and lapses in concentration from ye allowed them back into it. Ye were 5 or 6 points the better team yesterday.

I hope for the sake of football ye beat Derry and beat them well. I think ye will. Derry came through a poor Ulster Championship and haven't met any team with anything like yere firepower. They have only 2 quality forwards themselves and are dangerous with rapid pace attacking on the counter or from turnovers put there half backs are going to have to concentrate on defending against ye.

I hope that Rory Ball isn't successful or you will have every average club team attempting it. I think they will get found out against ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

This. I'm surprised people are being overly critical of his kickouts (I am usually very critical). Started poorly to be fair when they seemed to be going further than the Galway players were expecting but after that I thought they went fine. His normal duties which he is steady at were his failings yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭threeball

If you look at his kickouts, 50% went less than 10m. My 4yr old would have kicked them, so his stats are boosted there and 2 of them nearly put us in serious bother. When he went long we dominated which I thought we would and said as much in a post last week. There was tons of pockets of space to hit a forward that decided to make a run but knew it was pointless as the goalies decision takes too long.

Derry will be a different story. Kick those aimless lumps down onto Conor Glass and he'll clean us out. We need to perfect the short one in the next two weeks and draw them out. They're in serious bother if we can get away on a short one and attack with pace. Theres so much hinging on that position in the next game I don't see how he mentally copes with it. High balls and short kickouts, every day for 2 weeks.

in all the excitement, John daly took a monster free before shane walsh's brainfart, a point up on his own goalline with armagh doing a full press and he had no handy way out and kicks the ball 40 yards up to the field to heaney right on the sideline, it was some kick under that pressure. There was allot of moments in the game where you realise that the players are starting to come into there own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Robert2014

Having slept on it, I think we are in a much better place today after yesterday's game and how it unfolded. Our failings are still our failings, which are known. Been unable to get kick-offs away and having to go long, a defensive system that is still bedding in and our inability to close out games (or stopping doing what we're good at to try to manage the game and failing)

However, there are some real positives. Firstly, I think many of us though we were done when Armagh scored the 3rd goal in extra time. To come up the field and score one ourselves and then kick the equaliser with a minute to go shows a courage and ability to execute under pressure than we have not seen since 2001.

Also as said a number of our players stepped up and delivered outside of the main men. McDaid, Finnerty, Daly were massive.

Also given the results, we won't go in as favourites but we beat Derry well in the League up there so won't fear them. And we should be ready for the long ball in as well since we should expect to see it as a tactic from Derry.

Hopefully the manner of the win and the resilience shown will stand to them the next day. Let's just be 7 or 8 points with a few minutes to go and should see us through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

I think most outside of ulster have installed Galway as favourite to beat Derry. Like Derry have not been tested. Galway have come thru 3 good tests in Mayo, handily beating us - even if we got with in 3 and now beating armagh. Galway were much better than armagh for long stretches.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Avon8

I need no hesitation to give out about our support, it's been horrendously bad at times over the years and we way over index on "let it in to fck" dinosaurs who don't help anyone.

Whoever I thought there was plenty of us there yesterday for once? Well over 10k if I was guessing, I thought we had nearly as many as Mayo for once. Obviously there was any amount of Armagh there who overshadowed everyone, aided by such a bright colour which adds loads. Maroon must be second only to grey for fading into the background. Even in the All Ireland finals v Kilkenny when we had 70% of the stadium, the colour was dull and camouflaged

One positive there to go along with the many many negatives from a goalkeeping situation. 86% of our own kick outs won is a marked improvement. Now Armagh pressed much less in the second half but I still thought we did quite well to work ones short. Molloy especially has an excellent knack of wriggling his way out of pressure once he collects a kick out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Getting Clare as an opponent was of little addition to Derry.

Nobody knows where they stand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Are the tickets sold out already? Didn't realise they'd be on sale so quick...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

The short ones are the ones we were missing though. Mayo we won 60% of our kickouts and Roscommon 62%. For the last 10 minutes of both games we kept going long, kept losing and inviting more pressure on. Getting those short kicks away are instrumental when trying to see out a close game. For the first time yesterday it worked. Get it short, couple of handpasses your away or invariably an attacker fouls. Takes mountains of pressure off.

I agree with the mid range kicks. No idea why. Sometimes a Galway player would be in arces of space and you'd swear Gleeson is looking straight at them but fails to pull the trigger.

I don't mind if Derry think the Garryowen long high ball is something to go after. Its not a forwards ball and I'd be happy enough they'd be dealt with better the next day out.

Completely agree, hence the tough test plus the extra time should bring on Galway greatly.

the big unknown is the outcome of the investigation and any fallout.

The only player they could even contemplate banning is Cathal Sweeney who may* have thrown a punch at the gouger after it happened. Nobody else did anything egregious, the main fighting was Glynn on the ground but he was dragged down from behind by an Armagh sub. Sean Kelly is a certainty to get off his ban, they can't get proper offences to stick, never mind a lad sent off for walking around trying to play peacekeeper. Sweeney being a sub would be better to have but not the biggest loss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Have to say it was an absolute breath of fresh air to see a Galway side put on disaster recovery like that penalty shootout victory. When lads like Walsh and Conroy weren't hitting their high standards it was the likes of Finnerty, McDaid, Tierney and Molloy that rescued a semi final spot. That's incredibly refreshing.

They'll absolutely love Derry going in as favourites too.

Can't speak to much of the messing at full-time but hopefully common sense prevails and Sean Kelly and Nugent are cleared. That Tiernan Kelly will rightly have the book thrown at him and it's likely Cathal Sweeney will be in hot water too. The Cianan Fahy incident won't help us I fear.

• Advertisement

I suppose take off the maroon glasses and the whole event is unsavoury. And it takes two to tango. Now they can't /won't ban players I think. Coaching staff may get the stand, I think anyone outside match day 24 + a small number will be allowed in to pitch side. I think a hefty fine for Galway County board. I wouldn't be surprised if Derry in the hogan and Galway in the cussack.

But you just don't know, they could target players too. I hope they don't tbh, cos it unfairly effects Galway and I'd see armagh more to blame. But these investigations are unpredictable especially in the GAA.

And then any players could get off on technicalities, as this will be quiet rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Ffs about time either the hurlers and footballers showed some bottle, for too long we’ve been accused of being soft targets. Time to write that off. It might cost us, but hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,396 ✭✭✭✭cson

Sorry what?

Do you expect them to just stand there and take digs? The Armagh sub coming out of nowhere to wrestle a starting Galway player to the ground, who wasn't at that point involved in any handbags, knew exactly what he was doing - trying to get a reaction to get a lad sent off. That's who Armagh are, not the biggest fan of Colm O'Rourke but he's right, the one common denominator in the brawls this season has been lads wearing an orange jersey.

No I don't expect to stand there and take it, but if armagh get a stack load of suspensions, likely Galway will too.

Completely agree Armagh are the common denominator in brawls this year and GAA has effectively had a hand in creating Sunday cos armagh got away with over turning so many appeals this year.

And if Galway do get players suspended, make sure you make use of the GAA system and appeal them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

If there are suspensions dished out then Comer could be the one to suffer. According to The Sunday Game he started the melee so he could be in the firing line.

Sean Kelly is safe enough, he didn't do a thing wrong.

But I expect any and all Galway suspended will be free to play after appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Don’t think so, think Comer got the first ‘joule’.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭MfMan

Wondering aloud was Sean Kelly pinged in mistake for his brother Paul? Think I saw Paul in the midst of the melee, (where his subs bib wouldn't be immediately visible) and they look very alike anyway, especially to a team of officials who wouldn't particularly know them. No harm to start a conspiracy theory about it anyway. :-)

He definitely didn't start it, he had 4/5 Armagh players around him and one of them came over to him first.

When the TV coverage came on I think that's when Comer pushed back but that was a reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Comer got a jolt into the back coming off by a hyped up Morgan, who had made it his personal mission on the day to get as many late hits into Walsh and Comer as humanely possible, and who somehow stayed on the field. The camera then pans over and Comer is remonstrating with Morgan and is then immediately surrounded by 4 Armagh lads, including Rian. The biggest culprit of all bar the gouger is Armagh sub no.27 who grabs Jack Glynn down from behind

Not saying Comer is an angel btw, he was rightly given a yellow for messing with Raferty in the second half. He did nothing here however

Advertisement