Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-09-2018, 23:25   #871
UrbanSprawl

crystal method album is quite extraordinary.

Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-10-2018, 18:51   #872
UrbanSprawl

OK not extraordinary as revealed in the cold light of soberness ,worth a listen.
04-10-2018, 20:28   #873
divide_by_zero

Been listening to The Lamb by Lala Lala a lot this week. Worth a listen.

Thanks from:
06-10-2018, 02:48   #874
UrbanSprawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by divide_by_zero View Post
Been listening to The Lamb by Lala Lala a lot this week. Worth a listen.

she is the female smoko
Thanks from:
06-10-2018, 02:50   #875
UrbanSprawl

posted before just a great song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58V2vC9EPc
Advertisement
12-10-2018, 14:43   #876
Arghus

St. Vincent has released a stripped down piano based version of MASSEDUCATION, called, unsurprisingly, MassEducation.

It's a mixed bag so far, in my view. Some of the songs really work when slowed down and stripped back but others, mainly the faster and busier tunes don't really work for me when they cut back into skeleton form. It's an interesting experiment nonetheless and some of those songs like "Slow, Slow Disco" are brilliant.

Also because the instrumentation is so relatively sparse St. Vincent has allowed her voice to come to the fore and a thing that's often overlooked about her is that she's a great singer - she adds a lot of depth and pathos to some of these songs just with the added emotion of her voice alone. Totally worth a listen, even if it doesn't all work.

Thanks from:
12-10-2018, 16:27   #877
mosstin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arghus View Post
St. Vincent has released a stripped down piano based version of MASSEDUCATION, called, unsurprisingly, MassEducation.

It's a mixed bag so far, in my view. Some of the songs really work when slowed down and stripped back but others, mainly the faster and busier tunes don't really work for me when they cut back into skeleton form. It's an interesting experiment nonetheless and some of those songs like "Slow, Slow Disco" are brilliant.

Also because the instrumentation is so relatively sparse St. Vincent has allowed her voice to come to the fore and a thing that's often overlooked about her is that she's a great singer - she adds a lot of depth and pathos to some of these songs just with the added emotion of her voice alone. Totally worth a listen, even if it doesn't all work.

Nice one. Agreed re her voice. Seen quite a few state they've been left cold by Masseduction but I loved it. New version of Slow Disco is lovely.
14-10-2018, 23:35   #878
UrbanSprawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSprawl View Post
OK not extraordinary as revealed in the cold light of soberness ,worth a listen.
flipping back and forth but some class tunes on it ..an album of the year contender certainly.

19-10-2018, 15:22   #879
divide_by_zero

New Cloud Nothings record Last Building Burning out today. Super, super album.
Advertisement
19-10-2018, 18:15   #880
BonnieSituation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
A lot of you clearly have your finger on various musical pulses and a lot are keen to be informed (me included).

What album have you come across in the month since release that is worth a listen?

For me - Brian Jonestown Massacre - Aufheben.
Weird!

Default page went back to the first one there.

I certainly hope you're all gonna head in tonight?
25-10-2018, 14:11   #881
Arghus

New album from Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want - is released tomorrow, their first in eight years. They still sound great, a massively underrated band. Fans of IDLES should enjoy this.

I remember being blown away by their last one. At the time I'd never heard anything like it. It still has the ability to blow my mind. Hopefully they'll get their due for being totally awesome this time around. Here's one from back in the day -

(2) thanks from:
05-11-2018, 18:05   #882
Arghus

Surprised there isn't more love for that Daughters album, it really is immense. Album of the year material IMO.

Anyway, Julia Holter has a new one out Aviary. Hard to know what to make of it so far. It's a whopper, coming in at 90 minutes in length. I was afraid she was becoming a bit safe and boring, but she appears to have gone off into "difficult" territory with this one. May be no bad thing.

Last edited by Arghus; 05-11-2018 at 18:09.
Thanks from:
05-11-2018, 18:46   #883
mosstin

Quote:
Surprised there isn't more love for that Daughters album, it really is immense. Album of the year material IMO.

Anyway, Julia Holter has a new one out Aviary. Hard to know what to make of it so far. It's a whopper, coming in at 90 minutes in length. I was afraid she was becoming a bit safe and boring, but she appears to have gone off into "difficult" territory with this one. May be no bad thing.

I really liked her last one after disliking Loud City Song. Only given this a couple of listens so far and she is stretching it on this one. I don't think that I'm patient enough to wade through it all.
05-11-2018, 19:17   #884
divide_by_zero

Quote:

Absolutely a contender for album of the year. I've had it on repeat since it came out. Superb album.
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 22:32   #885
UrbanSprawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by divide_by_zero View Post
Absolutely a contender for album of the year. I've had it on repeat since it came out. Superb album.
Few things its definately not an easy listen ..the name of the band well if you search for daughter lyrics its pages of pages of pearl jam lyrics ..dunno didnt grab me

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion