Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shooting media/ public awareness

Options
  • 08-07-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Recently I have been reading and watching Uk fieldsports media ( Sporting rifle magizne and Fieldsports Britian). Both are great, but I notice our hunting and target shooting brethen across the pond are using celebrities to promote their sports. Faces such as Tom Croft ( Rugby player for england) Phil Spencer (channel 4) and Mark Gilchrist ( celebrity chef) have all made appearances. Just has got me thinking could we do something similar for our sports here to raise public awareness postive manner, as some people here are not even aware that you can own a firearm in Ireland. From all our household names either from GAA, Rugby, Soccar or from T.V and the media as surely some have an intrest in Fieldsports they could be good ambassadors for the sport.Sure there is a threard on this all ready but couldnt find it, but lets here your voices on the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Australia does the same SSAA, use cricket stars to promote the sport. Problem here is there is no single national shooting organisation.

Interesting how they handle the media, providing a "journalists guide to firearms ans shooting sports"

http://www.ssaa.org.au/media-centre.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

samthe man wrote: »
    Sure there is a threard on this all ready but couldnt find it, but lets here your voices on the matter.

here ya go,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055767672

• Registered Users Posts: 38 samthe man

But should that really be a problem, like what benefits one should benefit us all. For example if Nevin Macguire was to go duck shooting/ pigeon bashing ( and then cook it) or Paul O Connell to go deer stalking or have the team that wins the all Ireland go clay shooting it would promote the sport, regardless of which national shooting body they do it with. The aim should be to show to the non shooting public that shooting sports are safe and fun pass times which support the irish economy and protect the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

samthe man wrote: »
    Just has got me thinking could we do something similar for our sports here to raise public awareness postive manner, as some people here are not even aware that you can own a firearm in Ireland. From all our household names either from GAA, Rugby, Soccar or from T.V and the media as surely some have an intrest in Fieldsports they could be good ambassadors for the sport.
    Who would you get? And why would they do it? (As in, would we have to pay them, and if so, who pays the piper and calls the tune?)

Sure there is a threard on this all ready but couldnt find it
    You mean this one? Or the one that started it? And we've mentioned PR in the abstract (as opposed to any particular story specifically) a few times before as well, right back to 2004 when the forum first set up.
    but lets here your voices on the matter.
    Yup, sure, excellent, the more the better - I'm not saying don't talk about it, just giving you the links to earlier conversations for reference. The more PR for our sports the better our chances are of our sports surviving.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

I remember seeing a post about a year ago. Irish Reporters guide (skit) to Firearms and every answer was Glock, Glock and Glock. Anyone remember it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I vaguely remember that Tom Croft ad alright. He was either promoting a new camo clothing company from the UK or a Uk made shotgun ,i.e he probablly got a few quid for having supported their product.
    As far as getting them to promote shooting in Ireland I dunno.It's as mainstream as it's going to get I'd say.

a good few well-known irish sportsmen do their bit of shooting or hunting.case in point.
    simon&rory%20best%20clay%20pigeon%20shooting%201_small.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38 samthe man

Sparks wrote: »
    Who would you get? And why would they do it? (As in, would we have to pay them, and if so, who pays the piper and calls the tune?)

They would mearly be invited by the shooting sports comunity to try the sport. They would do it if it intrested them to do it, if they dont want to do it thats fine. The important thing is to have their reaction (hopfully positive) recorded by a reporter from Irish Shooter Digest or the Farmer Journal or even better a national newpaper.They should only be paid if their face / image was been used to promote a product or service related to the shooting sports industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Years ago the BBC used to have a tv programme called Starshot. They got people to do clay shooting in a real fancy format, dont remember enough about it, as it was many years ago. Not even sure if it was a game show or what, But they used to get celebrities on to try their hand. I reckon that was good for the sport, but probably beyond the realms of possibility in Ireland.

Advertisement