Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Best of luck to the Clare U20 footballers tonight as they take on the defending Munster and all Ireland champions Cork in Miltown Malbay for a place in next week's Munster final at stake.

This is a really strong Clare team and there are big hopes of a huge performance against one of the best Cork underage football teams they have assembled.

The match has a 7 pm throw in.

Hon the Banner!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I can see a big Clarr performance tonight. They ll play to the maximum of their talents and still lose by 10 points + and that's the disappointing part

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This is a serious Cork team though, they still have loads of players from last years team and they won a tournament earlier on in the year (can't remember the name of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭fire_man

Any coverage of game other than radio?

Clareman wrote: »
    This is a serious Cork team though, they still have loads of players from last years team and they won a tournament earlier on in the year (can't remember the name of it).

That competition you are referring to is called the John Kerins Cup. They defeated Kerry, Galway and Kildare on the way to winning that pre season tournament.

• Advertisement

fire_man wrote: »
    Any coverage of game other than radio?

Most disappointing to hear that Clare FM will NOT be covering the game live. Other than that no television coverage of it either. The Munster final will be live in TG4 next Wednesday though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can't imagine there'd be much interest in a Clare Cork under 20 match outside of both counties, even at that I'd imagine the viewing figures would be low. Maybe if the game was somewhere with decent media facilities but the cost involved in setting up an outside live broadcast in Milltown would be too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

I can't imagine there'd be much interest in a Clare Cork under 20 match outside of both counties, even at that I'd imagine the viewing figures would be low. Maybe if the game was somewhere with decent media facilities but the cost involved in setting up an outside live broadcast in Milltown would be too expensive

Couldn't give a fiddler's about the media facilities in Miltown or the lack of media coverage. It will make things more awkward for the Cork camp travelling back to the wilds of West Clare for a Wednesday evening game in February in horrendous weather conditions. Playing on the edge of the Atlantic tonight won't be very hospitable for the All Ireland Champions and hopefully it will take something from their performance. Clare are going to need every bit of edge or advantage they can get to be competitive in this.

Sure lads from Milltown would have to travel to wherever in Cork, every match is always awkard for someone unless you're the home team

Sure lads from Milltown would have to travel to wherever in Cork, every match is always awkard for someone unless you're the home team

Of course, but Ennis would have made things slot more comfortable for Cork

• Advertisement

No floodlights in Ennis though, and the County Board like to protect the pitch so wouldn't risk it for a silly football match.

to paraphrase Ger Loughnane "If I had my way I wouldn't even tell them what time was throw in"

Clare leading the all Ireland champions by a point at half time in Miltown Malbay, keep her lit lads

Cork pulling away now unfortunately

Cork pulling away now unfortunately

Incredibly Clare lost by just 2 points 1-12 to 2-7. Immensely proud C!areman this evening. They quite literally gave their last drop. Hard luck lads. One of our finest performances at this grade for sure, but still came out the wrong end of the scoreboard.

Best of luck to Cork though as they now prepare for the Munster final against Kerry next Wednesday with Tralee a likely venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Their full forward line killed us and only one positional change was made, obviously young Conneely was a big loss and we didn't have the players on the bench to make changes like Cork did. They made 3 changes 5 minutes in to the 2nd half. Massive crowd at tonight's game in freezing conditions great to see, no harm having a few of the NFL games back west.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair play to ye. My old man was at it and said ye gave a great display but Cork just had that little bit more in end.

Cork will need improve though for next week

Fair play to ye. My old man was at it and said ye gave a great display but Cork just had that little bit more in end.

They may not have to, that was a well prepared, well drilled Clare team, that game will be worth an awful lot to Cork. Kerry had it all to do to beat Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theMountain

funnyname wrote: »
    Their full forward line killed us and only one positional change was made, obviously young Conneely was a big loss and we didn't have the players on the bench to make changes like Cork did. They made 3 changes 5 minutes in to the 2nd half. Massive crowd at tonight's game in freezing conditions great to see, no harm having a few of the NFL games back west.

They moved young Murray who was doing well out of full back after 10 to mark the tall wing forward. I think it worked for a while but in the first 20 min of the 2nd half we were over run in the midfield area and the pressure come on our fb line. Cork only scored 1-2 from play.

Strong chance that the St Flannans v CBC Cork Harty Cup final to be held this Saturday in Mallow might well be called off for the second time due to the impacts of Storm Jorge.

Could be the worst storm we get this winter season so stand by for developments in the coming hours.

Considering there is an orange weather alert in affect for Clare on Saturday I think the match has to be called off, it wouldn't be fair/safe to expect people to travel under those conditions.

• Advertisement

Strong chance that the St Flannans v CBC Cork Harty Cup final to be held this Saturday in Mallow might well be called off for the second time due to the impacts of Storm Jorge.

Could be the worst storm we get this winter season so stand by for developments in the coming hours.

Match called off late last night. re-fixture details to be confirmed in the coming hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Thunder, lightening, hail and severe winds. That's the weather atm here in Ennis. No worries say the GAA the Clare v Laois hurling game goes ahead. Sure till be all grand!

We really have the most inept administrators in Irish sport despite the record revenues that the GAA got in the last year. No wonder there such disconnect between officialdom and the grassroots in the GAA.

GAA have no consideration for players, supporters etc playing matches despite weather warnings. Holding pitch inspections at 11th hour despite some fans travelling long distances. THE GAA have crammed league fixtures in worse time of year weather wise to finished off in 9 weeks. The current fixture schedule doesn't allow for possibility of games called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

In fairness the whole thing has to be looked at, I think January and February intercounty hurling is a joke. The colleges / schools may have to run their games off in that time due to exams later in the year.
    Really these McGrath cups, Waterford Crystal etc should be binned. Even the league is a bit of a joke really, it's all about the championship.
    I think ideally that the championship should be on an expanded league format where basically every team plays the other something like the NFL. Ok so we have 10 teams that are competitive that's basically 9 games played over 3 months starting late April and finishing mid July,
    The top 2 munster teams go into the Munster Final and the Top 2 Leinster / Galway team go to Leinster final in late July or early August, winners progress to All Ireland final in late August or alternatively if we ditch the provincial finals - top 4 go to semis.
    Every team would be guaranteed at least 3 big home games, imagine Kilkenny rocking up here in June. There should also be consideration given to playing some of the marquee games in Croker, even a double header, every team guaranteed at least 1 game in Croker every 2 years. I am open to suggestions.
    Bottom 2 teams go to relegation playoff with loser going down to be replaced by winner of secondary competition that is the curtainraiser to the All Ireland final.
    If 9 games is considered too much then perhaps 6 or 7 games but rotating every second year so every team plays every other team at least once every 2 years in the league but each team would have to play their provincial colleagues each year.

Gael85 wrote: »
    GAA have no consideration for players, supporters etc playing matches despite weather warnings. Holding pitch inspections at 11th hour despite some fans travelling long distances. THE GAA have crammed league fixtures in worse time of year weather wise to finished off in 9 weeks. The current fixture schedule doesn't allow for possibility of games called off.

Don't get me started on the GAA calendar, it's trying to keep everyone happy but only annoying everyone.

25 years ago Clare played on June 4th, July 9th, August 6 and September 3rd, that's 1 match a month for 4 months. If Clare are to win every match this year to win the All Ireland they'll play May 7 17th & 31st, June 7th, 14th & 28th, July 26th and August 16th, that's 8 matches in 4 months, or twice the number of matches in the same amount of time. Throw in football, club and college competitions you just don't have space for a league with 8 matches to be played.

To me it's easy, change the league to 8 team divisions with bottom 2 relegated and top team champions, play it off over 7 weeks between Feb, March and April, there's no reason why it couldn't be finished by the 2nd week of April at the latest.Play the provincial championships over 7 weeks with 6 teams copying the 6 nations (2 games, break, 1 game, break, 2 games). The provincial finals/quarters are played as normal except the preliminary quarter finals are played the same weekend as the provincial finals. I'd move the All Ireland back to the first Sunday in September, that's tradition and it fits, no one wanted to move it.

I know the club championship will suffer, but if intercounty leagues can be played in Jan/Feb why can't the club championships? There's only going to be a few teams still playing in August/September, play it then. This whole thing of intercounty players being wrapped in cotton wool annoys me, if players aren't available there's other players, play the f**king thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Sure that's much the same as what is going on now! except the club championships in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

Don't get me started on the GAA calendar, it's trying to keep everyone happy but only annoying everyone.

25 years ago Clare played on June 4th, July 9th, August 6 and September 3rd, that's 1 match a month for 4 months. If Clare are to win every match this year to win the All Ireland they'll play May 7 17th & 31st, June 7th, 14th & 28th, July 26th and August 16th, that's 8 matches in 4 months, or twice the number of matches in the same amount of time. Throw in football, club and college competitions you just don't have space for a league with 8 matches to be played.

To me it's easy, change the league to 8 team divisions with bottom 2 relegated and top team champions, play it off over 7 weeks between Feb, March and April, there's no reason why it couldn't be finished by the 2nd week of April at the latest.Play the provincial championships over 7 weeks with 6 teams copying the 6 nations (2 games, break, 1 game, break, 2 games). The provincial finals/quarters are played as normal except the preliminary quarter finals are played the same weekend as the provincial finals. I'd move the All Ireland back to the first Sunday in September, that's tradition and it fits, no one wanted to move it.

I know the club championship will suffer, but if intercounty leagues can be played in Jan/Feb why can't the club championships? There's only going to be a few teams still playing in August/September, play it then. This whole thing of intercounty players being wrapped in cotton wool annoys me, if players aren't available there's other players, play the f**king thing.

Not a hope of Club Championship games being played in January. Even the current situation of moving the Club championship out of Patricks day was stupid. What was affected 4 county hurlers on each team?

County should be released for Clare cup games by rule. Saturday evening games, back to County for Sunday Training if neede.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Calendar should be built around the Club, not the other way around. The idea that the entire calendar is built around less that 0.1% of the association members is bonkers.

In fairness the whole thing has to be looked at, I think January and February intercounty hurling is a joke. The colleges / schools may have to run their games off in that time due to exams later in the year.
    Really these McGrath cups, Waterford Crystal etc should be binned. Even the league is a bit of a joke really, it's all about the championship.
    I think ideally that the championship should be on an expanded league format where basically every team plays the other something like the NFL. Ok so we have 10 teams that are competitive that's basically 9 games played over 3 months starting late April and finishing mid July,
    The top 2 munster teams go into the Munster Final and the Top 2 Leinster / Galway team go to Leinster final in late July or early August, winners progress to All Ireland final in late August or alternatively if we ditch the provincial finals - top 4 go to semis.
    Every team would be guaranteed at least 3 big home games, imagine Kilkenny rocking up here in June. There should also be consideration given to playing some of the marquee games in Croker, even a double header, every team guaranteed at least 1 game in Croker every 2 years. I am open to suggestions.
    Bottom 2 teams go to relegation playoff with loser going down to be replaced by winner of secondary competition that is the curtainraiser to the All Ireland final.
    If 9 games is considered too much then perhaps 6 or 7 games but rotating every second year so every team plays every other team at least once every 2 years in the league but each team would have to play their provincial colleagues each year.

The hurling leauge is a joke, especially when the start of the championship is run on a leauge basis. The leauge is only glorified challenge matches so I don't see the point in having another competition of glorified challenge games ie the Waterford crystal as a warm up for more challenge games.
    The Football leauge is a superb competition and should be the premier competition for football and played during the summer. The championship could be played as a knockout warm up competition in the spring.
    I don't see why hurling and football should be played in the same structures as they have totally different needs.

My problem with the club championship is that it's designed to finish when the Munster Club starts, that means that the whole competition is designed for 1 team.

For me college competitions should be mid-week and played in Jan and Feb, league should be Feb, March and April, club April and May, intercounty June, July, August with finals in September), club championship Septemer, October and November.

If the likes of the McGrath club want to be continued they can be played in Jan and Feb but college players be excluded. People will say that players won't have a break but the only players playing all year round will be college players who's club and county make it to the All Ireland finals.

What's happening now is excuses and trying to keep everyone happy, you can't play midweek cause of players being away, you can't play when the county lads arent' available, you can't play because of a dual club, you can't play in case of replays, you can't play because............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

This is where we want to be, in a position to challenge against the kerrys and corks its basically phase 2, phase 3 is beating ye and improving to the next level on a consistent basis

Probably a bit away but on the right track, best of luck on yer all ireland quest lads ðŸ‘

Advertisement