Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Workplace Christmas parties: obligation to attend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

One of my friends , he works in one of these "fun" companies - those ones with "lots of perks", "gifts for our staff" .... this year it is some fancy dress nonsense - not only is it mandatory to attend, it's mandatory to dress up !!
    Can you imagine ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

A lad in our place loves to look down his nose at others. If I went on a work do with him I'd be sacked the next day. And he would have a few bruises.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Only 8 people showed up to mine last weekend. I think thats a record. In fairness we had to pay for it ourselves. No free food or drink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

heard today that a company is liable for anything that happens anyone at a Christmas party.

its more work, enough to be dealing with these people all day, no feckin way am i goin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

pablo128 wrote: »
    A lad in our place loves to look down his nose at others. If I went on a work do with him I'd be sacked the next day. And he would have a few bruises.

Thats assuming he doesn't do a job on you ?

In my experience such urges are mutual.

• Advertisement

Tis the season to be jolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

I look forward to the christmas party. It happens during work time so no need to log on for the day. Some daft quiz in the morning milling about, I usually make mulled cider to share in the morning. Then off for lunch at 12 and a reserved area in a pub until 5. No obligation to attend, if you prefer to work you're welcome to do that instead.

It's usually a good day out.

This sounds like right craik

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I really can't stand the work party - I am with the company for years but just don't enjoy them.

The company tend to go all out and it's either a fancy dinner and reserved section in a night club with free booze all night or a trip - London, Amsterdam, Galway etc ..

Its just with kids and family life the few weeks in the run up to Christmas are busy and I don't really fancy wasting a saturday or sunday hungover. And as I live out of the city it always means staying in a hotel for the night.

So the last few years I've made excuses or arrangements for the same time - last year I booked a weekend away for the family the same weekend work were flying out - I was able to make it sound like it was a coincidence. In previous years when I chose to not drink I was accused of being a boring ****e and no fun.

This year I said nothing and just drank non-alcholic beer and left about midnight - apart from my boss everyone assumed I was drinking. At the post mortem on monday morning people didn't even notice that I pissed off early - most of them had no recollection of anything past midnight.

When you have direct reports burning the ears off you about work crap these things are not fun !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

not going this year because the veggie foods cr*p in the restaurant booked, the extra upside is i dont have to partake in the secret santa sh1t either (which usually goes straight in the bin).

Which need nicely into a staff night out I was at in 1997, there was a joke around at the time that Elton John had rewritten "Candle in the Wind yet again as a tribute to Mother Theresa on her death and called it "Sandals in the Bin", one of my colleagues got me in the secret santa and presented me with a pair of manky sandals in a waste paper bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I work for a US multinational. There is nothing wrong with the choice of venue, the food or timing, they have had it in Croke Park for the past 5 years on the trot. The atmosphere in the job is dire, apart from the useful idiots on the higher tiers, this contributes to why many people will not go. Apparently the numbers have been declining each year. In my place your career progression is based on your relationship with your boss and your virtuous contribution to the department, these things could lack any sort of benefit to the department but it's better to be seen doing something or be seen saying anything rather than actually seen to be doing something constructive and saying something useful. It's all about your "brand" and not about the work you do. 1 in 4 leaves our company per year. They openly accept this but wonder why people leave (Confused Pikachu meme)

A lot of people feel unappreciated and unrewarded in the job, they are deflated mentally so the idea of spending additional time when you do not have to, is an unnecessary burden. It's not expected of you but for arbitrary reasons, it's mentally noted filed in your Inclusion folder lol :rolleyes:. Ill be gone soon so.

There is nothing wrong with not going to an Xmas party and its good time for co-workers to mingle. But outside work, I couldn't give a rats arse about 80% ope them. The people who do get along, go out for dinner or drinks outside of work. Nothing to do with work. They seem to not like us doing this cause its not inclusive. They don't get the concept of it being external. BELLENDS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

One of my friends , he works in one of these "fun" companies - those ones with "lots of perks", "gifts for our staff" .... this year it is some fancy dress nonsense - not only is it mandatory to attend, it's mandatory to dress up !!
    Can you imagine ??

I'd rather not. sounds like my idea of hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I work in a venue where there are Christmas parties. I can't understand the appeal especially when I see fellas (it's usually fellas) full drunk by 9pm, some puking and others coked out of their minds. Why would you get like that around colleagues and superiors? Then there's the music and dancing. Such terrible music and dancing.

ill either go or i won't

i advise anyone who is in absolute turmoil at either thought to reprioritise

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

If theres nothing to be gained and everything to lose just dont go.

I dodged mine there the other day. Like Bojo dodging a tv interview, i knew it definitely wasnt going to be a win.

So lesser of two evils, dodge it look a little bad rather than go and both endure awkward chat and be confirmed as an outsider.

Plus if youre not on the same page as certain people it can open the door to disaster.

One i went to i made a little off the cuff remark that was taken up by as an insult. Fair enough my bad, not my place to pass remarks.

But that was how id mess with my mates at the time, friendly jabs between us for banter. ye bollox, ye dope, haircut and clothes slagging.

This guy obviously wasnt of the same opinion.
    Nice awkward dinner followed.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,924 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Only 8 people showed up to mine last weekend. I think thats a record. In fairness we had to pay for it ourselves. No free food or drink.

That’s pretty outrageous. It’s bad enough to do the Christmas party during the weekend but making you pay for it as well is a recipe for nobody showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Worked for a large organisation for 10 years - not once did I go to the main Christmas party. Always went to the Department one which was great craic as we all knew each other.

The stories we'd hear after the main event make me thankful I didn't go: Mary from Legal in tears because Jane from Sales called her a **** because they were fighting over Brian from Accounts. Then Gerry in R&D got caught in the jacks snorting a line blah blah blah

*all names have been changed to protect the innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,924 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

20Wheel wrote: »
    If theres nothing to be gained and everything to lose just dont go.

I dodged mine there the other day. Like Bojo dodging a tv interview, i knew it definitely wasnt going to be a win.

So lesser of two evils, dodge it look a little bad rather than go and both endure awkward chat and be confirmed as an outsider.

Plus if youre not on the same page as certain people it can open the door to disaster.

One i went to i made a little off the cuff remark that was taken up by as an insult. Fair enough my bad, not my place to pass remarks.

But that was how id mess with my mates at the time, friendly jabs between us for banter. ye bollox, ye dope, haircut and clothes slagging.

This guy obviously wasnt of the same opinion.
    Nice awkward dinner followed.

Haircut and clothes jokes. Be fair though, there are probably one or two good haircut or clothes jokes. The rest will just cause other people’s eyes to roll every time at yet another probably bad joke.

I suppose going to any group apart from your bezzie mates means to I have to adjust your craic a bit. It’s just part of being an adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

We were lucky for a few years we ended up having nothing as the 2 directors were on bad terms so nothing was organised, one left since but the guy that stayed on couldn't organise the proverbial "pis* up in a brewery" so they haven't happened, this year there have been mumblings from him but he's got his nose out of joint because no matter what night he suggest (and there aren't too many left) someone says they can't make it (this is on purpose) he doesn't know that a few us have a night out planned this Friday, he'd be fuming if he knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Some very angry people around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I have no interest in going - not to be a miserable bastard for the sake of it (which I know is the preserve of some around here) but just because it's no longer of interest to me. Used to go to all work parties though. Totally a getting old thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I have no interest in going - not to be a miserable bastard for the sake of it (which I know is the preserve of some around here) but just because it's no longer of interest to me. Used to go to all work parties though. Totally a getting old thing.

Ah now, nothing to do with age. You're either up for a party or you're not.

The best craic people at my work Christmas party were all the older staff 50/60+.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Some very angry people around here.

An astonishing amount of bad will, I actually think half of them are trolling.

It is a free party ffs.

No one gives a phuck, even your bosses. They just want to have a laugh as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Can understand why people don't want to go but the blanket dislike of colleagues is a bit weird. Can't think of anybody in my workplace that I'd dislike enough not to be able to make small talk for an hour over a drink and I find the majority of them grand to chat to. Same with the other companies I've been in.

Think somebody said it already but if you do feel like that, it's you that's the common denominator not them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Can understand why people don't want to go but the blanket dislike of colleagues is a bit weird. Can't think of anybody in my workplace that I'd dislike enough not to be able to make small talk for an hour over a drink and I find the majority of them grand to chat to. Same with the other companies I've been in.

Think somebody said it already but if you do feel like that, it's you that's the common denominator not them.

I think for some it's not so much hating who they work with, it's more that after a year full of work, 40 hours a week plus travel people would much rather spend their time as they wish. I can totally see how this simply isn't the definition of fun for some.

Also some parties are a huge pissing contest of different office cliques, let's not pretend they don't exist. There is a reason why office parties are a league of their own, they can be incredibly messy and the boozing peer pressure is crazy.
    As someone who doesn't drink I wouldn't be overly interested watching colleagues getting wasted (and that's the only reason why a good few people go in the first place).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭political analyst

han2000 wrote: »
    It may not be in my contract to attend but it's definitely frowned upon by management.

Last year I really didn't want to go but there's not much choice.
    There are some very shy people I work with who I know would love not to attend but again not much choice.

It's all paid for though so that kind of makes up for it:D

Why would it mean so much to management for staff to go to these parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Free drink and food with people I get on with - damn right I'm going.

Who would have thought the internet would have been so full of socially awkward loners :confused:

Free drink and food with people I get on with - damn right I'm going.

Who would have thought the internet would have been so full of socially awkward loners :confused:

why do you assume we are socially awkward loners? I spend more with the people in work than i do with family and friends and i think that is quite enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Try the public sector. Everyone pays for their own food. Management would generally throw €20 or €50 into a kitty to provide drinks for others.

Personally, I'll enjoy a meal and a few drinks, but I'm not going to stay all night. Just the noise levels in a busy pub with everyone having to shout everything is enough to send me home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

The amount of people here who are proud that they have real friends and therefore don't need work ones is quite sad to be honest. You spend 40 hours a week with these people and at least have the fact that you work in the same place in common. You can have your school friends too and your college friends, family friends, sports club friends and whatever friends you want too. But you're spending more time with these people than your wife and kids sometimes. If you can't call them work friends, you're the one who is to be pitied.

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    The amount of people here who are proud that they have real friends and therefore don't need work ones is quite sad to be honest. You spend 40 hours a week with these people and at least have the fact that you work in the same place in common. You can have your school friends too and your college friends, family friends, sports club friends and whatever friends you want too. But you're spending more time with these people than your wife and kids sometimes. If you can't call them work friends, you're the one who is to be pitied.

And people who make sweeping judgements about others based on very little information are to be pitied. do you see how that works?

Advertisement