Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porcelain tiles vs laminated flooring?

• 22-11-2019 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭

Our new house is almost ready. We are in a dilemma whether to go for porcelain tile or 12 mm laminated flooring ACR5 rating. Area size is 68 m2.

On first floor we have decided to go for carpet flooring except bathroom where it will be tiles.

Any comments from your experience please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭staples7

Our new house is almost ready. We are in a dilemma whether to go for porcelain tile or 12 mm laminated flooring ACR5 rating. Area size is 68 m2.

On first floor we have decided to go for carpet flooring except bathroom where it will be tiles.

Any comments from your experience please?

Had a similar decision 2 years ago. Went laminate and didn’t regret it. Just try to keep the flooring consistent on each floor. Looks much better. In a perfect world I would have gone polished Concreate....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thank you.

Do you mean we should have same type of flooring on both floor? What about laminate on ground and carpet on first floor?
    staples7 wrote: »
    Had a similar decision 2 years ago. Went laminate and didn’t regret it. Just try to keep the flooring consistent on each floor. Looks much better. In a perfect world I would have gone polished Concreate....

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭staples7

I would say mainly ground floor open areas. gives a better flow rather than tiling in one space carpet in another and tiles somewhere else.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I kept getting told porcelain tiles get very slippy in the slightest of damp. We'd all be dead. I've laminate in my sitting room, and would do the whole house in it, if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Make sure your heating system matches the flooring. Alot of people have this laminate revolution in their brain but their entire house ends up feeling cold and not homely at all.

I've carpet in my Living room bedrooms and hall . Wouldn't dream of laminating nor tilng it. I like being able to walk around in comfort from one end of the year to the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

listermint wrote: »
    Make sure your heating system matches the flooring. Alot of people have this laminate revolution in their brain but their entire house ends up feeling cold and not homely at all.

I've carpet in my Living room bedrooms and hall . Wouldn't dream of laminating nor typing it. I like being able to walk around in comfort from one end of the year to the other.

Have a friend who went laminate with underfloor heating and they regret not going with tiles as the heat would have conducted better. Might be relevant to the OP if they have UFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have a friend who went laminate with underfloor heating and they regret not going with tiles as the heat would have conducted better. Might be relevant to the OP if they have UFH.

One thing that's true in any tiled or house with laminate or hardwood floor. Rugs in abundance :P

• Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I personally really dislike tiles in living areas, I think it's a bit cold and sterile or something. Like, not at all cosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Why rugs? Are laminated overtly slippery?
    listermint wrote: »
    One thing that's true in any tiled or house with laminate or hardwood floor. Rugs in abundance :P

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

Having the exact same dilemma at the moment.
    Has anyone put down that luxury vinyl tile? It looks very thin so im afraid it'll feel very fake but its waterproof which is a big incentive.
    (also have UFH)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Porcelain tiles are more durable, they radiate heat, obviously a honed tile will be slippery when wet, but who has wet floors on a constant basis? Matt porcelain tiles are an option , ones with a slip rating of R9 upwards, maybe in a wood effect or polished concrete look. A tile is also easier to replace than a whole laminate floor which are subject to warping if they are used in wet areas, tiles are more hygienic too as dirt just sits on the glaze, porcelain doesn't absorb moisture . For me it would be tiles.

Advertisement