Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running issues specific to women

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

annapr wrote: »
    Shorts with built-in underwear are the most comfortable, I've found. Recently came across a company called Oiselle, in the US... started by women athletes and with gear designed specifically for women... a bit expensive but the most comfortable running shorts, with great POCKETS (why do most men's shorts have better pockets anyway????)

Great idea for a thread, C!

I've been buying Oiselle gear for a good few years (only for the occasional treat as they are expensive!) - I do love them but they have an annoying habit of slightly changing their sizes so a size that might have fit before now doesn't! (But I do still love them).

They're expensive and the postage costs are high, so I think it's worth always checking out what's on sale and also signing up to their newsletter, because they sometimes send discount codes etc.

https://www.oiselle.com/shop/sale

I went to their shop in Seattle last year and got a vest and a longsleeved top (WITH A HOLE IN THE SLEEVE SO YOU CAN SEE YOUR WATCH!!!) and I love them.

They do loose and tight shorts, both with pockets (but sadly have discontinued my fave tight ones :()

My other favourite shorts (at the other end of the price spectrum) are Decathlon - built in pants, lovely and light, zip pocket.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I love Ronhill shorts - probably my favourite ones ever are the trail 2 in 1 shorts from about 3 years ago. I've run my last 3 marathons in them. I also live in Sturdy By Design and Tikiboo leggings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Pampootie - Runderwear if you feel like getting spendy, M&S microfiber otherwise.

Have you tried runderwear? I'm tempted to try them but the price would make it an expensive experiment..

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Have you tried runderwear? I'm tempted to try them but the price would make it an expensive experiment..

I think they seem super-pricey too. I bought a pair of New Balance running underwear in TK Maxx (as they were very cheap), but actually, they're no better than those seam-free pants they sell in Penneys, which are my go-to running underwear (they're just in the normal section, not the sport section)

Decathlon have cheap running underwear too, which is probably fine. I think Runderwear you're probably just paying for the word 'Run' in the title!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

There are sometimes discounts on Marathon Talk for Runderwear. I'll let you know the next time there is one. The price is offputting for sure.
    HelenAnne wrote: »
    I think they seem super-pricey too. I bought a pair of New Balance running underwear in TK Maxx (as they were very cheap), but actually, they're no better than those seam-free pants they sell in Penneys, which are my go-to running underwear (they're just in the normal section, not the sport section)

Decathlon have cheap running underwear too, which is probably fine. I think Runderwear you're probably just paying for the word 'Run' in the title!

I have the New Balance ones as well and, yeah, they're nothing special.

I think Runderwear is a very small outfit, which might also explain the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

The Decathlon women's trail running shorts are also a bit longer than usual - both the lose and tight version. AND they have pockets.

5dc6aa22-a696-425e-8e8c-b79b4d0f8c98_8488528.jpg

1038cd2a-4f18-4c04-a658-0fccdb3f173c_8546196.jpg

I have one pair - they're good, very comfortable for long runs, but not really worth the extra over my 5 for £12 M&S microfibre midis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I have Runderwear and Decathlon - which were about €3 each. I slightly prefer the Decathlon actually.

Must look up the Oiselle stuff - just what I need to find, another expensive brand :rolleyes:

I love Lululemon and WAA Ultra running skirts. They have big pockets on the back of the waist band and also pockets on the shorts inside the skirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Me too. So uncomfortable. I had a look at Anna's link and they seem to offer the Holy Grail - https://www.oiselle.com/shop/running-bottoms/long-pocket-jogger-shorts

I like the almost-cycling short style of running short because they're tighter, they don't ride up. It's really difficult to find ones that are a decent length, though, and I'm delighted to see Oiselle do them.

I got a good pair in Deacatlon https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/run-dry-women-s-running-shorts-en-s171556.html

no problem with riding up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Baby75 wrote: »
    I got a good pair in Deacatlon https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/run-dry-women-s-running-shorts-en-s171556.html

I actually have these :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

This is brilliant. Thanks all.

Elvery's have brought back their pro-touch range. They are very good quality, zip pocket, and seem to have slighly longer 2 in 1 shorts. Tried them for the first time last Saturday as I have a huge aversion to short shorts but they are great. Very reasonable price too at €22.95.

I wear fantastic high leg underwear from Marks or Debenhams. Try not to get the full briefs as they can be bigger than your shorts at times.

Another one for shock absorber. Like Chickey I have bought fantastic colours on Amazon but worth it for the price. Definitely always get measured though for bra's. Careful though as they also do gym bra's so make sure you buy the running ones.

Also recently starting tracking on Garmin Connect.

I can't believe I have never been to a Decathlon shop.

Bought Karimor online and wouldn't recommend. They seem to sit lower on the hips so don't like them at all. I prefer them to pull up and cover my belly.

I can vouch for Annapr's fancy shorts with pockets as we were all admirning recently, they are deadly.

Must listen to that podcast now.

Another podcast that may be worth a listen: https://player.fm/series/optimal-physique-development/the-womens-podcast-with-lyle-mcdonald

Lyle McDonald has written about strength, nutrition etc for years, and last year published a book called The Woman's Book volume 1 (nutrition, fat loss and muscle gain) - gym coachy leads me to believe it ain't light reading though, even the chapter index is daunting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Gotta love this thread :D
    These look like what I've been searching for, without success :o
    To those of you who have these shorts, how true to life are the sizes?
    Another vote for Shock Absorber here too, I only discovered them last year, sooo comfy and supportive. Again, the mad colours don't bother me at all... Quite like them actually :o

Most Decathlon running gear is fairly true to size.

juke wrote: »
    Another podcast that may be worth a listen: https://player.fm/series/optimal-physique-development/the-womens-podcast-with-lyle-mcdonald

Lyle McDonald has written about strength, nutrition etc for years, and last year published a book called The Woman's Book volume 1 (nutrition, fat loss and muscle gain) - gym coachy leads me to believe it ain't light reading though, even the chapter index is daunting.

I will listen Juke thanks for sharing :) sounds like that book is intense LOL
    DBB wrote: »
    Gotta love this thread :D
    These look like what I've been searching for, without success :o
    To those of you who have these shorts, how true to life are the sizes?
    Another vote for Shock Absorber here too, I only discovered them last year, sooo comfy and supportive. Again, the mad colours don't bother me at all... Quite like them actually :o

I found them true to size and I bought mine on line

I have the unerarmor bras as well, I must say I am not really a huge fan, I like them they are comfy no chafing but not that supportive for me!
    I do find panache non underwired brilliant and Elomi both expensive but I got mine in a sale very ture to size as well.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    It seems to be an option on Garmin Connect also.

Great idea for a thread. Thanks, C.

Yeah, I got my wife a Vivoactive last week and noticed that on set up.

It's only a very recent addition for Garmin, literally this year! Crazy that it took that long, but as the rare unicorn that is a female software developer - slightly understandable :eek:

It's only a very recent addition for Garmin, literally this year! Crazy that it took that long, but as the rare unicorn that is a female software developer - slightly understandable :eek:

It would be great, if in the future that information can be shared with coaches so they can be more aware and adjust training for their athletes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It would be great, if in the future that information can be shared with coaches so they can be more aware and adjust training for their athletes

They need to know specifically how a cycle affects an athlete for that. Different for everyone.
    Different stages of cycle I'm absolutely shattered and can barely summon the energy to run.
    Bloated / digestive issues and feeling heavy/sluggish because of it.

I have closer to a 5 week cycle but could have 1.5 - 2 weeks out of every 5 where you just cannot train as you would the other 3. Rounds back to Helen's comments about how men can improve so much quicker. I don't think our menstrual cycle helps us in that regard. :)

They need to know specifically how a cycle affects an athlete for that. Different for everyone.
    Different stages of cycle I'm absolutely shattered and can barely summon the energy to run.

I have closer to a 5 week cycle but could have 1.5 - 2 weeks out of every 5 where you just cannot train as you would the other 3. Rounds back to Helen's comments about how men can improve so much quicker. I don't think our menstrual cycle helps us in that regard. :)

AFAIK, Stacy Sims mentioned an app just for that in one of her podcasts - where you grant you coach access and s/he can then interpret the data specifically for you. I will listen back.

• Advertisement

I have to admit, I've never really noticed any effects with my cycle, certainly nothing I could pinpoint. I also have a pretty easy time finding sports bras etc, and I never suffer from chafing (as I have skin like an old boot!)

(I am however very much there for all the shorts recommendations - shorts that don't make me look terrible from the back and that have pockets are a holy grail for me! Once, at the VHI WMM, a drone flew around behind me and included my rear view in a promotional video - and that's when I learned that the club's kelly-green Nike tempo shorts were NOT flattering :pac:)

The main female-specific thing I noticed when I started running - and this may be cultural* rather than biological - was that I just didn't have the endurance that similarly new-to-running / unfit men had.

Men I knew could take up running, and go out and run 8 or 10k straight away. they might be tired, they might have sore legs the next day, but they could do it. I genuinely couldn't. And the same when I started Pilates - it really took me a couple of years to work up to 20 push up - men would come in, no experience, hadn't done any core work, and they'd just bang out a set of push ups.

(* I know this is changing, but I'm 44, and I think a lot of women of my age dropped out of sports relatively early, before coming back as adults, and until maybe a decade ago, women didn't tend to a lot of strength work in the gym, so maybe the reason men could just grit out a 5 mile run was because they'd been keeping a base level of fitness that I hadn't).

ETA: I wrote an article for Irish Runner mag a few issues ago that was all about strength training, and why it's good for women, what I (& my interviewees :-) ) like about it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Great thread, thanks for starting especially for all the running wear advice. I must be a bit of a misfit as I just run in my standard underwear and haven't noticed any issues even on long runs. Bras are another thing altogether though and I do love shock absorber but they are pricey. Must look for cheaper ones on amazon. I did get a super bra from Dunnes last year which was for high impact sports and it's my favourite but this year I cannot get another one, they only stock medium impact now. I'm 34D after coming down from a 34E with weightloss. I too am pushing towards the wither and die stage and only back at running successfully a year now - if I wither and die I hope to be running when I do it!

AFAIK, Stacy Sims mentioned an app just for that in one of her podcasts - where you grant you coach access and s/he can then interpret the data specifically for you. I will listen back.

Yep, FitrCoach - it's an extension of FitrWoman, a period tracking app. with training & nutrition suggestions (as mentioned by chickey in the OP)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I have to admit, I've never really noticed any effects with my cycle, certainly nothing I could pinpoint. I also have a pretty easy time finding sports bras etc, and I never suffer from chafing (as I have skin like an old boot!)

(I am however very much there for all the shorts recommendations - shorts that don't make me look terrible from the back and that have pockets are a holy grail for me! Once, at the VHI WMM, a drone flew around behind me and included my rear view in a promotional video - and that's when I learned that the club's kelly-green Nike tempo shorts were NOT flattering :pac:)

The main female-specific thing I noticed when I started running - and this may be cultural* rather than biological - was that I just didn't have the endurance that similarly new-to-running / unfit men had.

Men I knew could take up running, and go out and run 8 or 10k straight away. they might be tired, they might have sore legs the next day, but they could do it. I genuinely couldn't. And the same when I started Pilates - it really took me a couple of years to work up to 20 push up - men would come in, no experience, hadn't done any core work, and they'd just bang out a set of push ups.

(* I know this is changing, but I'm 44, and I think a lot of women of my age dropped out of sports relatively early, before coming back as adults, and until maybe a decade ago, women didn't tend to a lot of strength work in the gym, so maybe the reason men could just grit out a 5 mile run was because they'd been keeping a base level of fitness that I hadn't).

ETA: I wrote an article for Irish Runner mag a few issues ago that was all about strength training, and why it's good for women, what I (& my interviewees :-) ) like about it etc.

That was a great article i read it thanks.

For shock absorber fans I've bought them very cheap (as little £8) on ASOS.com. I love them but i don't need a very big size :cool:

I've only recently starting using the new feature in GC. On one hand i'm interested in the physiological effects but on another hand i wonder if it will effect me negatively to go into a race knowing/thinking it's not a good TOTM to race at :confused:

I wonder HA of those men who can just go and run 8k at the drop of a hat - how many keep it up? We may be slower to take off but do we ultimately have more longevity because are we are more sensible in our approach?

But i hear you i'm the same generation as you. I remember at one stage in national school the girls did sewing/knitting while the boys played football :mad: We had no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sunriserun

Hi all,

Thanks for starting this chickey2, great idea for a thread. +1 on the Shock Absorber running bras, I find them fantastic and if you don't mind unusual colours there's often deals on wiggle.co.uk and sportspursuit.com. Also thanks for posting up the podcasts from Stacy Sims, they are fascinating and a lot of it rings true for me.
    I find that my biggest issue as a female runner centers around safety. Due to life logistics I do nearly all my running early in the morning, it's fine in summer but in winter this means running in the dark alone. I don't feel afraid as such, just constantly on high alert I guess, there's no way I'd listen to music and would be cautious re routes etc. Also when I say safety I mean with regard attack rather than road safety. I live in a city so all my running is off road or on footpaths. My caution may well be unfounded as I have never been hassled while running early in the morning. It has happened that I've been hassled occassionally running in the evening but I've never felt in danger as there is usually plenty people around. I'm not generally an overly cautious person and was wondering if any other females feel this way when running alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Sunriserun wrote: »
    I find that my biggest issue as a female runner centers around safety. Due to life logistics I do nearly all my running early in the morning, it's fine in summer but in winter this means running in the dark alone. I don't feel afraid as such, just constantly on high alert I guess, there's no way I'd listen to music and would be cautious re routes etc. Also when I say safety I mean with regard attack rather than road safety. I live in a city so all my running is off road or on footpaths. My caution may well be unfounded as I have never been hassled while running early in the morning. It has happened that I've been hassled occassionally running in the evening but I've never felt in danger as there is usually plenty people around. I'm not generally an overly cautious person and was wondering if any other females feel this way when running alone?

I run alone a lot too, and around Dublin, sometimes early morning, sometimes late-ish at night, and I have to say I never feel unsafe. I might feel uncomfortable at times when some people like to look you over in what I perceive as a creepy manner, but thankfully they don't make me feel unsafe, just a little nauseous maybe! No harm in being alert for dangers anyway, whether people or traffic based.

It might be a function of having grown up in Dublin 24 and having done all my early running there, but I can't say I'm massively worried about running alone most of the time. I wear headphones when run commuting but am quite aware of my surroundings and tend to stick to relatively well travelled areas. The worst I've experienced was frequent catcalling from bus drivers when I lived in north London, there was a garage less than half a mile from my apartment so hard to avoid as well.

I run commute midweek now, so I'm running at around 5pm with a backpack on and I'm running from central Manchester outwards about 4 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Are you in Ireland, Sunriserun?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

I run alone a lot too, and around Dublin, sometimes early morning, sometimes late-ish at night, and I have to say I never feel unsafe. I might feel uncomfortable at times when some people like to look you over in what I perceive as a creepy manner, but thankfully they don't make me feel unsafe, just a little nauseous maybe! No harm in being alert for dangers anyway, whether people or traffic based.

There's just one section of the canal I run from broombridge towards Phibsboro and I am little bit wary of it - I used to run it early on a weekday or weekend morning but now I tend to avoid it - nothing happened just that I felt quite isolated. But even my local park can be very quiet sometimes. I think it's good to be aware but it's sad when we don't run somewhere or feel we can't because of possible attack.

• Advertisement

No, it doesn't, but from listening to Stacy Sims once we track our cycle and how we are feeling symptoms then we can tell when we are in the high hormone phase just before your period is due which can affect performance. (edited to add when we are in your Luteal phase of our cycle)

I never knew that because of higher progesterone and estrogen women are more predisposed to hyponatremia but she has tips on how to combat that

Also, our core temperature is higher which can make things harder for us I noticed that on a long run, I felt like I was boiling up first time ever I took off my t-shirt and ran in my sports bra

I will listen back and read up on what she recommends to take to help offset the effects of our lovely hormones :)

I know you found it all ready, I have it as well it is good I told my coach about it he is very interested in getting the coach account.

Advertisement