Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home Help / Nurses

Options
  • 17-09-2012 10:34pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this,

My OH's Father has just come out of Hospital and is on a huge volume of medication which he is proving to be pretty bad at remembering to take properly and we're worried that he may end up getting really sick or worse..

My OH works very long hours and I have a small child to look after.. and also I don't particularly want to take on the responsibility of making sure he takes his meds, incase something went wrong..

Can anyone please tell me what options we have with regards Home Help, is there any sort of a scheme offered by the HSE (I know :o worth a shot though)

And if not, are there any private Nurse agencies who would provide a Nurse to come by daily and help him with him meds etc?

Any other advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Would one of those boxes for medication help? The ones with the days of the week/time of day printed on them? You fill them once a week, and then just take the meds labelled Monday morning or Tuesday evening at the appropriate time. A pharmacist would be able to help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP you need to contact his Public Health Nurse in his local clinic

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks guys.. yeah he has one of those pill boxes.. not helping though, he still manages to make mistakes.. he's a little doddery tbh..

Good idea re the PHN, will do that today.. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

xzanti wrote: »
    Thanks guys.. yeah he has one of those pill boxes.. not helping though, he still manages to make mistakes.. he's a little doddery tbh..

Good idea re the PHN, will do that today.. cheers

PHN should be able to tell you what he is entitled to and will have all the forms and numbers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Your chemist should be able to supply the drugs in blister packs which are easier to follow than the boxes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Fastrac is right. Your Dad's pharmacist can individually package each dose. That's what done for my neighbour, she on something like 20+ per day and has lousy memory due to clinical depression. The pharmacist is paid by the government for this service / aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gr8golfweather

Hi, newby so apologies for lack of etiquette in posting.

My parents are 80/85 and coping is getting harder as time goes on. Any suggestions on how/ where to find a carer, there are agencies who are recommended but pricy, 1 person said his family directly employ a number of carers and pay cash which is more cost effective both carer and their family. just not sure where to start...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

You might find answers in this forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1571

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hi, newby so apologies for lack of etiquette in posting.

My parents are 80/85 and coping is getting harder as time goes on. Any suggestions on how/ where to find a carer, there are agencies who are recommended but pricy, 1 person said his family directly employ a number of carers and pay cash which is more cost effective both carer and their family. just not sure where to start...

Sent a PM

Advertisement