Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for this bonkey, I gave it a go last night for some chicken on the barbeque. I used:

1/4 cup of soft brown sugar
    1/4 cup of caster sugar
    1/2 cup white wine vinegar
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup of teriyaki sauce (by some strange turn of events we were out of both soy sauce and worcestershire so I took a risk)
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon hot chilli powder

I left the chicken marinating for several hours and basted as I went. It was absolutely delicious. Thanks!

Thanks for that. We don't have a BBQ, but I made up your recipe last night and have coated some drumsticks with it. Will cook them today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BTW where did you pick up the racks of ribs and how much were they?

I'm near enough to Stillorgan too but I've looked in a couple of butchers and not seen any.
    I saw them in lidl in deansgrange. Think it was 3.99 or 4.99 and I think it was already basted/marinated and vacuum packed. Looked a reasonable size for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

This is a great thread.

Can anyone tell me where I might buy natural charcoal in Dublin? The stuff I using smells a bit too chemically for my liking.

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Can you bbq pork belly? I have a feeling there'd be several fat fires.. And if so does anyone know for how long, as it needs slow cooking for tenderness?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Can anyone tell me where I might buy natural charcoal in Dublin? The stuff I using smells a bit too chemically for my liking.
    Are you sure you don't have Instant Lighting Charcoal? This is impregnated with stuff that makes it light easier, i.e. much the same stuff as in BBQ lighter liquid or firelighters. Normal charcoal shouldn't smell at all.

• Advertisement

Got one of those Weber charcoal lighter chimney thingies that PlanetX showed in his post yesterday and used it for the first time ... works like a dream ... no lighter fuel, no firelighters, no frantic wafting with newspapers just light a couple of sheets of scrunched up newspaper and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Kimia wrote: »
    Can you bbq pork belly? I have a feeling there'd be several fat fires.. And if so does anyone know for how long, as it needs slow cooking for tenderness?

You could cook it over indirect heat. Look at Planet X's pics up above of how he cooked the lamb.

Line the charcoal at the side of the bbq and place the pork over a drip tray in the middle. Use some soaked woodchips to get the smokey taste and put the lid on with the vent open over the meat. It is slower than cooking directly over the coals but there won't be any possibility of fat fires. You may need to top up the coals if it takes a long time to cook. I don't know how long it would take but I'm if you do a google search, you can get a good idea.
    Alun wrote: »
    Got one of those Weber charcoal lighter chimney thingies that PlanetX showed in his post yesterday and used it for the first time ... works like a dream ... no lighter fuel, no firelighters, no frantic wafting with newspapers just light a couple of sheets of scrunched up newspaper and away you go.

Yeah they are the business. I got one last year and I couldn't do without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Did spare ribs myself last night...

Normally, I boil them in beer, then finish them on the grill with a BBq glaze. This time, I felt like a change.

Made up a pinchos mix (paprika, thyme, salt, pepper, curry powder, coriander seeds, lemon juice and garlic) and let them sit in that for the afternoon.

My grill has a big thick enamelled grill on it (I've joined the dark side and moved to gas), so I heated up all 3 partitions, then turned off the middle leaving only the sides heating. Put the ribs on the middle, upside down so they got a nice "griddle" pattern on the presentation side, and then left them cook for about 30 minutes. After that, I moved them up to the warming rack over one of the lit partitions so they were further from the heat, but getting some direct heat.

End result was pretty fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

rubadub wrote: »
    I saw them in lidl in deansgrange. Think it was 3.99 or 4.99 and I think it was already basted/marinated and vacuum packed. Looked a reasonable size for the price.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.wfo.p.Irish_Bacon_Rib

3.99 - might get one myself on the way home!

Does anyone know where to get the chimney charcoal lighter doofers? Want to buy one as a pressie.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

olaola wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to get the chimney charcoal lighter doofers? Want to buy one as a pressie.

Thanks!
    I got mine in Woodies, but last time I was there they were all out of them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Homebase Nutgrove last weekend had them.

^^ thanks! I saw them in Homebase yesterday too.

Now, I'm looking for a reasonable Charcoal BBQ for a gift... Any recommendations? There are some oil drum ones in Argos for less than €50 (on sale). They need to be big enough for a party, but probably won't be used other than get togethers.

I saw this one too, gets good reviews, just rang the Irish store and they have them in stock (and on sale -SCORE!)

I got a big catering can from the canteen here, gonna make a charcoal chimney myself.. see how I get on. They were about €25 in B&Q last night, thought I'd throw a hand at it myself first!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

weber chimney starter are 27 euros in argos .... nice colection of bbq accessories in there... anyone know where i can get a replacemnet grill for a kettle bbq. its a generic one nothing special but to be honest the grill has started to warp ...and i dont have the cash monies for a new one

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

worst part of bbq is the cleaning.....until i discovered Oven Pride. it comes in a box with a bag and gloves. you pop the grills into the bag, pour in the solution and seal. move from side to side to coat the grills and leave overnight. rinse in the morning. sorted.:D

i got mine in tescos, but probably other supermarkets have it too.

Catering can with a few holes punched along the bottom worked a treat!! Recession-tastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

One of the best cooking/reality shows on.

Have a gas (2 burner) myself which I use with a smoker box & soaked wood chips. As a marinade, guinness, teraki sauce, brown sugar, crushed garlic. (quantities to suit yourself).

Lash the meat into it in a bowl, leave for several hours aggitating about once an hour. Result is very tender meat.

Potatoes/corn wrapped in tinfoil & put on the grill about 30 minutes before meat, turning every 10 mins or so, results in great tasting veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

opti76 wrote: »
    weber chimney starter are 27 euros in argos..

B&Q have them for €25

heh heh heh picked one up in atlantic for 24 euros.... savage contraption i must admit ... the coals are really hot coming out of it

• Advertisement

had my first BBQ of the season yesterday ... great success...

Saw a recipie yesterday for a "Bacon Bomb", check it out. Gonna feature this at some point this year

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

i noticed there wasn't any thread dedicated to barbecue cooking so i thought i would throw one up.
    i don't do anything out of the ordinary on my barbie just your regular burger,sausages, chicken pieces and steaks. but i wouldn't mind expanding on this.
    so what does everyone else cook on their barbies?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

Second course: Bananas in their skins, leave them on until they are soft and the skins have gone black (Do not burn).. They are absolutely delicious with ice cream. P.S. remove skin before eating:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Pineapple rings, dipped in full fat thick coconut milk, and then grilled

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

bite size pieces of onion, courgette, red, green, yellow pepper on skewers and just place on the grill, turn often and cook this veg after the meat is cooked takes about 10-15 mins - also you can do small baked pototoes in tin foil

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

Any fish at all, fully wrapped in tin foil with a small bit of butter or olive oil on top and then lemon juice and a sprinkling of ground pepper or mixed herbs on top of the fish before wrapping - cook for 20-30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.

HB

having a stab at beer can chicken at the weekend .. anyone do this ???
    would a can of arthur not be sweeter than american piss....

• Advertisement

Have done it regularly (in a conventional oven too). Makes a huge difference to the meat. Full of flavour & very moist.

Doesn't have to be beer either, use water with some herbs & lemon juice if you want.

TK Maxx have a beercan rig for about €15

Advertisement