Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭budgemook

Brian? wrote: »
    Gay Conway will sort you out:

https://www.facebook.com/GayConwayButchers/

As will Fitzpatricks

https://goo.gl/maps/UDE72g6LPxCK8hms9

I also got some in the FX Buckley shop in Greenogue industrial park, but had to ring ahead.

Cheers, if I am passing celbridge I might call in.

More likely though I will email Peter at the whole Hogg. I'll send him the diagram above and see if he'll sort me out.

The experience outlined by blue note above is pretty much exactly the same as what I have found. Maybe we're going to the same butcher!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah the places Im talking about do all that but they have been for ages. No fun buying pre marinaded food!

But certainly during the summer they should be promoting the American style stuff. Considering 90% of recipes online are American, as are all the cooking shows. My butcher told me they mince a lot of the cheaper cuts - pig cheek (make some ****ing guanciale it sells for a fortune here!), flank, hangar, bavette.

Can get brisket but its the lean thin end they sell to old women. A thin piece of flat that they haven't rolled yet. And the annoying thing is they already have spare ribs in the shop they just cut them differently.

You need to change butcher

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Hi Guys, i have a 2 kg Pork neck fillet. Any ideas on how i should cook this?

picachu wrote: »
    Hi Guys, i have a 2 kg Pork neck fillet. Any ideas on how i should cook this?

Slow cook it and pull it like a shoulder. Far quicker and pretty nice.

I've done it twice, first was great and the second had a bit of a taste of iron off it.

budgemook wrote: »
    Slow cook it and pull it like a shoulder. Far quicker and pretty nice.

I've done it twice, first was great and the second had a bit of a taste of iron off it.

Thanks for that, any idea how long it could take? And at what temp?

• Advertisement

picachu wrote: »
    Thanks for that, any idea how long it could take? And at what temp?

I like to cook it at 275f to an internal temperature of 190f and slice it rather than pull it. If you want it pulled, cook it to 200f internal.

How long? Depends on the size or if you wrap it

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

I also got some in the FX Buckley shop in Greenogue industrial park, but had to ring ahead.

by coincidence i called FX buckley in deansgrange yesterday to see if i would need to order ribs in advance. they said they generally had spare ribs in stock and no need to call.

if anyone has any leads on good butchers around cavan for this kind of stuff let me know.

tropics001 wrote: »
    by coincidence i called FX buckley in deansgrange yesterday to see if i would need to order ribs in advance. they said they generally had spare ribs in stock and no need to call.

I might try one if their shops in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

tropics001 wrote: »

LAst time I got them from Deansgrange they were not proper spare ribs, but belly on ribs. Let me know how you get on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

Do people have any trouble getting briskets nowadays? I remember hearing that you used to get something different in the past when you ask for brisket, but has that changed?

And if you get a smaller brisket, will it work the same?

Specifically, I'm looking at Kerrigans in Malahide. You can get brisket from them at 1.8kg, 3kg or 5kg. Realistically, the 1.8 would be plenty big in terms of feeding me and my wife. But if you get that are you getting the right cut at all? And since it wouldn't take as long, will it cook right? Will you be able to get bark for example. 3kg I could go out of my way to eat, although I probably wouldn't be enjoying it in the end. 5kg and I'd be buying food with the intention of throwing it away if I'm honest with myself.

LAst time I got them from Deansgrange they were not proper spare ribs, but belly on ribs. Let me know how you get on

That's the jackpot, you can trim them and have some tasty pork belly and ribs

they/them/theirs

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That's the jackpot, you can trim them and have some tasty pork belly and ribs

I don't think you'd end up with a rack of spares like what you'd want for a bbq. The cut isn't going to be right.

You'd need to buy like the entire belly with the ribs in to get what you'd be after I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

blue note wrote: »
    Do people have any trouble getting briskets nowadays? I remember hearing that you used to get something different in the past when you ask for brisket, but has that changed?

Specifically, I'm looking at Kerrigans in Malahide. You can get brisket from them at 1.8kg, 3kg or 5kg. Realistically, the 1.8 would be plenty big in terms of feeding me and my wife. But if you get that are you getting the right cut at all? And since it wouldn't take as long, will it cook right? Will you be able to get bark for example. 3kg I could go out of my way to eat, although I probably wouldn't be enjoying it in the end. 5kg and I'd be buying food with the intention of throwing it away if I'm honest with myself.

I wouldnt go to Kerrigans for anything tbh

Typical mammy butcher they dont really cater for what we need, go to higgins in sutton or o'mahony meats in coolock or premium butcher online

awec wrote: »
    I don't think you'd end up with a rack of spares like what you'd want for a bbq. The cut isn't going to be right.

You'd need to buy like the entire belly with the ribs in to get what you'd be after I think.

The entire belly indeed, that's what I thought they got.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Anyone know the best place to get sausage casings? Online delivery prices are silly. €4.50 for 15m but 7 quid delivery etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The Nal wrote: »
    Anyone know the best place to get sausage casings? Online delivery prices are silly. €4.50 for 15m but 7 quid delivery etc

A butcher that makes their own sausages?

A butcher that makes their own sausages?

giphy.gif

I like to cook it at 275f to an internal temperature of 190f and slice it rather than pull it. If you want it pulled, cook it to 200f internal.

How long? Depends on the size or if you wrap it

Thanks for that!!!

yeah i'm concerned there might be something lost in translation. let's see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭oleras

blue note wrote: »

Keep an eye out for a food sealer/vac pac machine, less than €30 when they come up in the likes of Lidl/Aldi.

Great for leftovers and you reheat in a pot of simmering water, open up and smell the smoke again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Anyone know of anywhere to get weber briquettes in or around gorey?

Made some ancho fig BBQ sauce. Really good. Anchos, figs, Beamish, garlic, cumin, ketchup, strawberry preserves. Cant wait to get it on some ribs.

IMG-20210705-184632.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Schrodingercat

Has anyone gotten any "funny" charcoal recently?

(€34m worth of cocaine disguised as charcoal seized by gardaí). It could make for an interesting family dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I've just asked about this in the Gas grilling thread, so I hope posting a very similar question here isn't too much of a breach of etiquette.

I've picked up some picanha that will be cooked on a gas grill - I'm wondering if anyone has any (transferable) tips on cooking picanha?

(I'm sure it was discussed on this thread before, but I can't find the option to search the thread).

Edit: I picked up the picanha in O'Mahony's Coolock if anyone is interested.

Is it in steaks? Just cook it like a regular steak if so. With chimmichurri!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

Planning on doing spare ribs this weekend, this will be my first time slow cooking on BBQ. So any advice welcome. I will be using Weber master touch.

I see the 3,2,1 method is more for American ribs.

What would be the best setup for BBQ. I have lumpwood at moment but presume that will be no use and will need briquettes

I was looking at snake method I also have Weber charcoal baskets. Was thinking setting up two heat zones with drip tray in the centre.

What sort heat should I be looking at for ? Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

I don't know if this would be allowed, but there is a FB BBQ group that is quite active and the help that you get is really good and quick. It's called BBQ Life Ireland (I am a member but not involved in admin$. Please remove post if not adhering to rules

• Advertisement

Due to the quirk of the new boards, I saw this post for the first time. The horror, the goggles they do nothing.

Please don't boil ribs. It makes baby Jesus cry.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement