Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cattle pen with crash barrier

Options
  • 30-01-2018 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys. I'm planning on erecting a small loading pen with open box beam uprights and crash barrier rails. About 2 14' rails long by 16' wide.

If l bolt the rails to the uprights, I'm concerned about the ends of the rails being exposed and catching cattle or myself.

Love to hear anyones comments/ recommendations about cattle penning in general.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

Muckit wrote: »
    Hi guys. I'm planning on erecting a small loading pen with open box beam uprights and crash barrier rails. About 2 14' rails long by 16' wide.

If l bolt the rails to the uprights, I'm concerned about the ends of the rails being exposed and catching cattle or myself.

Love to hear anyones comments/ recommendations about cattle penning in general.

Thanks

You even commented on this thread! Tidy job by ren..

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057486411/1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Thanks. I suppose l should have clarified. This is a field away from yard. Only needed to gather and load a handful of times each year. Dry stock so no AI. Also very different scale. Very different budget.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Muckit wrote: »
    Thanks. I suppose l should have clarified. This is a field away from yard. Only needed to gather and load a handful of times each year. Dry stock so no AI. Also very different scale. Very different budget.

Would a few aul pallets tied with baler twine not do you? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Be wary of the gap between the crash barriers, Muckit. Can't give you the ideal measurement but I had a cow put her head through a gate last year and it was a job to get her out. Used a bottle jack. Can't do that with rigid crash barriers.
    Too wide apart and they will all be putting their heads out. Too near and you'll be wondering if calves will do the same.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

I'm going using 3 rails of crash barrier. I've been i formed they're 12". And I'll space 6" apart. I'll prob bolt timbers in between 2 bottom rails to close the gap.

• Advertisement

Would a few aul pallets tied with baler twine not do you? :-)

That's not far off off what I'm using already!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭visatorro

I bought ten mobile eight foot gates, five foot high. I had 26 weanlings and thought it was slightly small so tied in a fifteen foot field gate as well. Enticed them with meal. Gates were 960 all in. Only took it down yesterday because in testing soon and I'll use them as a race around yard. Connacht agri do them as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Muckit will there be more than one load in it? reason I'm asking is it might be better to have a separate smaller pen to sort whatever will be in a load first IYKWIM.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Muckit will there be more than one load in it? reason I'm asking is it might be better to have a separate smaller pen to sort whatever will be in a load first IYKWIM.

Yes was planning on splitting it in 2 with a 12' and 4' gate. Won't be any more than 10-15cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

Planning on using crash barrier on one side of crush race, what measurements did any of ye use between them. Distance from ground and between each other. 250kg weanlings would be the lightest stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

Hagimalone wrote: »
    Planning on using crash barrier on one side of crush race, what measurements did any of ye use between them. Distance from ground and between each other. 250kg weanlings would be the lightest stock.

Each barrier is 12 inches/a ft. I used 3 barriers.
    So , 12 inch gap from ground to bottom of bottom barrier, 6 inch gap , another 12 inch barrier , another 6 inch gap , and then the last 12 inch barrier . Total height of 5 ft . Happy with it , and have had various age stock in it .

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

I'm looking to build a holding pen in a bit of land I have away from the farm. Usually walk cattle over the road to it, about a mile and a half on a busy road but that's not an option going forward with the temperament of cattle and amount of cars on the road. I as aiming to use Crash barriers, which are easy to get but it's impossible to get the steel uprights. I'll have to use heavy 8ft strainer posts for this instead.

What distance between posts would you get away with, considering the barriers are 14' with an overlap of 1' on joins?

I'll have 3 barriers on each side. Usually heavy store cattle down there too.

|
    |
    14ft
    |
    |
    |

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Hagimalone wrote: »
    Planning on using crash barrier on one side of crush race....

Not something I'd be in favour of if animals have to be tested through it. Makes it hard to get the jab in as movement is limited. More likely to get an arm caught too due to the contortions needed to get at an animal.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

I'm looking to build a holding pen in a bit of land I have away from the farm. Usually walk cattle over the road to it, about a mile and a half on a busy road but that's not an option going forward with the temperament of cattle and amount of cars on the road. I as aiming to use Crash barriers, which are easy to get but it's impossible to get the steel uprights. I'll have to use heavy 8ft strainer posts for this instead.

What distance between posts would you get away with, considering the barriers are 14' with an overlap of 1' on joins?

I'll have 3 barriers on each side. Usually heavy store cattle down there too.

|
    |
    14ft
    |
    |
    |

You try these guys, FRS in Boyle, Roscommon, for uprights? at €40 VAT incl. their uprights are cheaper than H-beams, and probably easier bored. Cheaper again, get old railway concrete sleepers @ €10. About 1/4 ton in weight, 8' long. Stick them down in 2' of concrete, they'll never budge. Rawl bolt brackets to hold 2" pipe onto them.

https://www.donedeal.ie/fencingequipment-for-sale/crash-barriers-and-steel-beams/8285327?campaign=14

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

MfMan wrote: »
    You try these guys, FRS in Boyle, Roscommon, for uprights? at €40 VAT incl. their uprights are cheaper than H-beams, and probably easier bored. Cheaper again, get old railway concrete sleepers @ €10. About 1/4 ton in weight, 8' long. Stick them down in 2' of concrete, they'll never budge. Rawl bolt brackets to hold 2" pipe onto them.

https://www.donedeal.ie/fencingequipment-for-sale/crash-barriers-and-steel-beams/8285327?campaign=14

He has them but they're a bit rusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

He has them but they're a bit rusted.

A couple of other places have them too on DD. Some place in Meath as far as I recall...

Advertisement