Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

1828384858688»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

Thanks lads, I didn't really think they would rust inside the house, but I guess the moisture exposure could be enough...
    The Joists are 9x2 and I only put two nails in the bottom of the hanger, I'll nail down the top piece and put another one in the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Hi all,

Only found this thread now and i am about to start a self build. I currently have planning permission and now have quotes from contractors (I am hoping to finalise off on who I go with over the next 2 weeks).

With regards the banks, I cannot proceed any further on mortgage until we have architectural/engineer report on costings.

I know I have to get a solicitor for sign off on this. Just a couple of questions

What should I expect solicitor fees to be?
    Do I pay for a valuation fee?
    Do I need to take out insurance - if so what is the best? Do banks not cover the Insurance for first 12 months?
    Professional Indemnity insurance - do I need this or should this be covered with engineers fees? If I do, what is best?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Only found this thread now and i am about to start a self build. I currently have planning permission and now have quotes from contractors (I am hoping to finalise off on who I go with over the next 2 weeks).

With regards the banks, I cannot proceed any further on mortgage until we have architectural/engineer report on costings.

I know I have to get a solicitor for sign off on this. Just a couple of questions

What should I expect solicitor fees to be?
    Every solicitor will have a different price so i cant give you an answer to this.
    Do I pay for a valuation fee?
    Yes, you will have to contact the bank for their valuation number and they will assign one to you. This figure will be based on the market value of the house upon completion.
    Do I need to take out insurance - if so what is the best? Do banks not cover the Insurance for first 12 months?
    I took out insurance that covers for public liability, I don't have a contractor, you will need this for your mortgage application.
    Professional Indemnity insurance - do I need this or should this be covered with engineers fees? If I do, what is best?
    Your engineer will have PI insurance, the bank will look for a copy of this for your mortgage application.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

froshtyv wrote: »
    Your engineer will have PI insurance, the bank will look for a copy of this for your mortgage application.
    [/quote]

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dots104

Chesty08 wrote: »

Thanks[/QUOTE]

We are just about to begin works on our site and our bank insisted that we had to take out our own insurance for the duration of the work even though our contractor has his own PI. Its called "in course of construction" insurance. I couldnt understand why we needed this but they wouldn't release funds without one. If the build is completed before 12 months the insurance changes over to regular house insurance for the remainder. Sounds to me a money making scheme for insurance company's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

dots104 wrote: »
    Thanks

We are just about to begin works on our site and our bank insisted that we had to take out our own insurance for the duration of the work even though our contractor has his own PI. Its called "in course of construction" insurance. I couldnt understand why we needed this but they wouldn't release funds without one. If the build is completed before 12 months the insurance changes over to regular house insurance for the remainder. Sounds to me a money making scheme for insurance company's[/QUOTE]

Its all fine and dandy until someone falls off a ladder, the builder goes bust, a tree falls on your half build house etc etc protecting that couple of hundred thousand euros you are spending I think its money well spent...

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I'm looking at either buying or going the self build route, I'm trying to find estimates for self build costs but there doesn't seem to be much information out their re working out rough estimates of costs

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Mod Note - 9/10/2012: This thread is for discussing the various aspects of building as they arise. Do not use this thread for "pre-building" queries. Such queries should be posted in their own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Hi, I'm planning on installing a freestanding Stovax Vogue Midi T in my house with no chimney so flue straight up through the roof. Flue will need to extend anywhere between 1 and 2 metres above the line of the roof.

Has anyone who has done similar had any issues with a flue in the wind when it's at this height or had any leaks around the flue?

New build, well insulated, air tight house so amount of use the stove is going to get could be minimal however I would like to have they option of lighting a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Be sure to double flue it so you don't burn your rafters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Merrion

We have planning permission in and (most of the) contractors selected and engineer engaged for a "zero or negative embedded carbon" extension. It is a single story glue laminated mass timber over a ground screws foundation.

However we are not able to find anyone to do the self build insurance for this "non standard" build as the company that used to underwrite these is UK based and has not got central bank clearance to sell in Ireland post Brexit. Does anyone know of anybody I should try in Ireland - brokers or?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Hi All,

We just moved into our new build, which has some fairly large (2.5 m x 1.5 m) "picture" windows. I've noticed, tonight in particular with the weather conditions, that there seems to be a lot of deflection/sway in these windows with the wind blowing driectly at them. I presume this is normal and is a design feature? We have triple-pane UPVC windows from Munster Joinery.

Thanks.

Advertisement