Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Avantcard Cashback €144 - New & existing customers

• 20-07-2019 11:26am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

23e21b74-7018-51a6-037f-f48b349d10cc?t=1553096953173

Avantcard have launched a Rewards+ card recently.

One of the perks is 1.25% cashback on certain merchant code transactions. The value is up to €12 a month / €144 a year.
    • The cashback can apply to existing customers, you just need to call them to sign up +353 71 959 4040.
    • (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and from 8am to 2pm on Saturdays)
    • No new application, account number or new card will be issued.

They do have another offer on 15% interest refund but its one or the other.

Cashback FAQ's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Davy wrote: »
    23e21b74-7018-51a6-037f-f48b349d10cc?t=1553096953173

Avantcard have launched a Rewards+ card recently.

One of the perks is 1.25% cashback on certain merchant code transactions. The value is up to €12 a month / €144 a year.
    • The cashback can apply to existing customers, you just need to call them to sign up +353 71 959 4040.
    • (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and from 8am to 2pm on Saturdays)
    • No new application, account number or new card will be issued.

They do have another offer on 15% interest refund but its one or the other.

Cashback FAQ's
    Get a N26 debut card. They Offer cash back too.
    Avant is a very expensive credit card avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

ted1 wrote: »
    Get a N26 debut card. They Offer cash back too.
    Avant is a very expensive credit card avoid.

In what way is it expensive? Why should they be avoided?

I have one for 15 plus years (going back to mbna), pay off the balance every month, the only fee I pay is the government stamp duty fee each year.

In what way is it expensive? Why should they be avoided?

I have one for 15 plus years (going back to mbna), pay off the balance every month, the only fee I pay is the government stamp duty fee each year.

The interest is expensive. If you are paying it off each month you may aswell just use a debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Q&A

Credit cards are all expensive remember that they are unsecured lending. But paying it off, in full, each month as outlined above means it costs nothing.*

The cashback referred to here is a reward programme whereby your bill could be reduced by up to €12 a month. Don't confuse this with "cashback" on a debit card which is merely cash withdrawal from your current account. Very different. AFAIK N26 don't offer credit here.

I did as OP did a couple of months ago. Simple phone call and I'm well on the way to covering government Stamp duty. I think KBC offer a similar product but it's not as generous. Not sure about the other banks but when I looked about Avantcard was the best at the time.

* Except stamp duty but that's a government charge

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

for new customers Avantcard also deposit €30 into your account, so that's also the stamp duty covered for the first year.

I just got one to replace my AIB MasterCard (Still very annoyed with AIB putting all our eggs in one basket with their VISA lock-in!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Q&A wrote:
    I did as OP did a couple of months ago. Simple phone call and I'm well on the way to covering government Stamp duty. I think KBC offer a similar product but it's not as generous. Not sure about the other banks but when I looked about Avantcard was the best at the time.

I have never done this...will do first thing monday

The interest is expensive. If you are paying it off each month you may aswell just use a debit card.

Except not all services accept a debit card. Regardless, avant are no more expensive than other credit cards if you pay the balance each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Also for something like car rental abroad the deposit on a debit card can be 1000s whereas it is 100s on credit.

If you can manage a credit card responsibly then the interest rate shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Beersmith wrote: »
    Also for something like car rental abroad the deposit on a debit card can be 1000s whereas it is 100s on credit.

If you can manage a credit card responsibly then the interest rate shouldn't be a problem.

The deposit is usually the same.you just don't see it on the credit...

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

grogi wrote: »

Beersmith is correct, this can happen at least sometimes, and in my experience, more often than not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I have advant, never actually realized it was old MBNA, I had one of those cards from pigs back many years ago

Anyway how do I apply for the rewards do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have advant, never actually realized it was old MBNA, I had one of those cards from pigs back many years ago

Anyway how do I apply for the rewards do you know?

Did you read post #1 or just the title before asking?

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Did you read post #1 or just the title before asking?

Sorry was reading off phone and missed it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I've been hmming and hawwing about getting a credit card the last while as it would be handy for car rental & hotel booking abroad, the 30 quid bonus for joining might just put me over the edge here. Just a quick question:

1. How do you pay your bill each month? do you have to transfer from your bank account or can you pay instantly by Visa Debit etc?

I've been hmming and hawwing about getting a credit card the last while as it would be handy for car rental & hotel booking abroad, the 30 quid bonus for joining might just put me over the edge here. Just a quick question:

1. How do you pay your bill each month? do you have to transfer from your bank account or can you pay instantly by Visa Debit etc?

If you dont have one then maybe just get a revolut....then you dont end up building a big debt you have to try and pay off

As stated already, I would like one so a hold isn't placed on funds on my debit card account when I book a hotel or rent a car abroad. I'm grand at managing money responsibly and have never accrued any debt as I only buy what I can afford. Was just wondering what way you can pay the bill each month, bank transfer or by debit instantly?

I have a revolut, its a debit card. This is a credit card.

As stated already, I would like one so a hold isn't placed on funds on my debit card account when I book a hotel or rent a car abroad. I'm grand at managing money responsibly and have never accrued any debt as I only buy what I can afford. Was just wondering what way you can pay the bill each month, bank transfer or by debit instantly?

I have a revolut, its a debit card. This is a credit card.

I login to the avant website and pay from a debit card. You can usually pay with bank transfer, direct debit or through the post office.

I login to the avant website and pay from a debit card. You can usually pay with bank transfer, direct debit or through the post office.

Grand, cheers. Debit would be quickest/easiest for me.

Q&A wrote: »
    Don't confuse this with "cashback" on a debit card which is merely cash withdrawal from your current account. Very different. AFAIK N26 don't offer credit here.

charge
    N26 offer 1% cash back on all Spending....
    If people are paying it off each month just stick with a debit card.,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Beersmith

grogi wrote: »

Sometimes, sometimes it way way more. I've found out the hard way. 2 grand held for a weeks rental which impact my holiday significantly! Also not refunded foe several more weeks.

With a credit card you have more protection from fraud.

Take my comments as someone who has not had a CC for over 6 years and now realise the benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Do you have a link to this? I only know if .1% cashback on their business offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

There's a charge for paying your Avantcard bill at the post office.
    I do it online with visa debit.
    Full payment every month and it cost nothing apart from annual government levy.
    Linked my Avantcard to my Tesco clubcard and collect points for every spend. Get about €40 every 3 months =€80 off bord gais bill

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROVER

Linked my Avantcard to my Tesco clubcard and collect points for every spend. Get about €40 every 3 months =€80 off bord gais bill

I too have my Avantcard linked to my Tesco clubcard. If I switch to this can I still retain my clubcard link.?.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Q&A

ROVER wrote: »

I too have my Avantcard linked to my Tesco clubcard. If I switch to this can I still retain my clubcard link.?.

Shouldn't be an issue. As an existing customer it doesn't change anything other than you get a few quid back at the end of the month. Card, number and everything stays the same

Do you hve to ring to link tesco clubcard? I can't find on the advantages website

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I have a credit that I pay off each month. I use the credit more as I get cash back on KBC (1%). There are many benefits of using credit and paying in full than just using debit.

This is s niche use but if it’s a week from pay day and an appliance ****s the bed, do I wait for a week without a washing machine? No I lash it on the credit card and then pay off next month (this assumes I don’t have a rainy day fund to dip into which I do but most don’t).

My brother banks with BOI, they charge 20c for debit transaction, but free on BOI credit he spends on credit and pays off monthly with his debit. Whilst it’s not exactly the best it’s a way.

Also with credit you can buy something with purchase protection, buy something online with a debit card, the money goes right away before you get said item, if your debit card number gets compromised then you’re ****e out of luck, if your credit card gets compromised you’re pretty much covered.

Revolut/N26 are great and have their advantages (I.e. my Revolut is great abroad) but I feel like they can’t replace a traditional credit card. I think it’s crazy people using the premium cards from Revolut/N26 for the guts of €9.99 a month and actually getting zero or close to zero in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROVER

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Do you hve to ring to link tesco clubcard? I can't find on the advantages website

Tesco sold their credit card business to Avantcard. If you were a previous tesco customer you retained your benefits.

ROVER wrote: »
    Tesco sold their credit card business to Avantcard. If you were a previous tesco customer you retained your benefits.

Ahh right it is not a standard offering.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

If people are paying it off each month, this is a good bargain. If people aren’t paying it off each month they should consider cutting it up, as credit card interest is only a step above moneylenders.

@op. Thanks a million for a brilliant offer, this will save me over €100 per year. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

You can either get tesco points or rewards !! Not sure which one i will chose

Advertisement