Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-09-2018, 16:35   #16
pinkypinky

Because genealogy isn't their primary concern.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-09-2018, 22:56   #17
tabbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaB View Post
Does anyone know why there are no plans to put them online, even as a pay site?  They are invaluable but inaccessible for those of us at a distance.
The staff used say that they would go online when all were digitised. Until then they were technically a pilot project. Perhaps the plan has been changed, but I assume they will be online sooner than later.
Thanks from:
18-11-2018, 12:31   #18
mod9maple

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblock21 View Post
Yes, and you will be glad to know that all the 26 counties have now been scanned. 17 of which have been loaded onto computers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod9maple View Post
Any idea which 9 counties aren't? I'm hoping Cavan is one that is.

The 17 digitised counties are: Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Cork City & County, Donegal, Dublin City & County, Galway, Kerry, Kildare, Limerick City & County, Mayo, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo and Tipperary.

This leaves the following counties still awaiting digitisation: Kilkenny, Laois, Leitrim, Longford, Louth, Waterford, Westmeath, Wexford and Wicklow.
22-11-2018, 12:25   #19
mod9maple

Is anyone else having problems loading the maps from the AskaboutIreland website? All I get is a white screen. :/

I've tried Chrome and Firefox and nothing.
22-11-2018, 12:26   #20
pinkypinky

It hasn't worked for me in years.
Advertisement
22-11-2018, 12:35   #21
mod9maple

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
It hasn't worked for me in years.
Hmmm, not good. I've tried 4 different browsers and no joy.

Is there anywhere else I can view them? I tried Findmypast but there is no map for the townland I want.

Last edited by mod9maple; 22-11-2018 at 12:38.
22-11-2018, 12:46   #22
pinkypinky

Do they have them on Ancestry?

I even tried emailing the various addresses but never got a response. John Grenham posted about askaboutireland recently and I commented saying the maps didn't work for me.

We had another thread which mentioned this problem recently. Someone said they work in Firefox.
Thanks from:
22-11-2018, 12:56   #23
mod9maple

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
Do they have them on Ancestry?

I even tried emailing the various addresses but never got a response. John Grenham posted about askaboutireland recently and I commented saying the maps didn't work for me.

We had another thread which mentioned this problem recently. Someone said they work in Firefox.
They don't have them on Ancestry. I'm trying Firefox and it doesn't work.

I have found a roundabout solution. I tried loading a map from various areas in Louth and Armagh and nothing worked. Then I tried in North Kerry and the map loaded. From there I just dragged the map to the location I wanted in the northern counties. The townland I used to load the map was Irramore.
Thanks from:
23-11-2018, 08:31   #24
Boscod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod9maple View Post
Is anyone else having problems loading the maps from the AskaboutIreland website? All I get is a white screen. :/

I've tried Chrome and Firefox and nothing.
The maps are working fine for me. When you get the white screen, you need to wait about 30 seconds while it prepares the map.
Advertisement
23-11-2018, 09:51   #25
pinkypinky

I've left mine open for 30 minutes and had nothing load.
Thanks from:
23-11-2018, 11:58   #26
srmf5

The maps are still working fine for me using Google chrome. I'm looking at maps in the Connacht. Is it specific areas that are having problems maybe? Give me an example of a person whose maps aren't loading for. I can look them up and see if it's still working. I don't know what to tell you. The maps are still working for a lot of people so maybe it's some sort of problem with your computer or internet or firewall or something that isn't installed that's preventing you viewing them? I have no idea.
23-11-2018, 12:03   #27
Earnest

Maps work on Safari. Sometimes they take you to a place a few miles away so that you have to scroll over.
23-11-2018, 12:08   #28
Wyldwood

Maps are opening for me also in Chrome. I did a random search for a John Murphy in Louth and after a short delay, the map opened.
23-11-2018, 12:36   #29
pinkypinky

I'm not particularly searching for anyone.

I have tried on multiple computers (3) in both Chrome and IE over at least 2 years. I've actually given up using the site for looking at the maps.
Thanks from:
24-11-2018, 21:16   #30
tabbey

Tried the maps a few minutes ago, it took 25 seconds for the map to appear, but I also have had longer times recently.

I suspect it is a victim of its own success, many more people are using it, without any increase of capacity, so is slower. The time it takes definitely varies, probably according to number of users at any given time.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion