Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-03-2017, 13:41   #31
BowWow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhthach View Post
ata)having them on the Late Late Show was bit of clever marketing that's for sure.
Genuine question - Was there one for everyone in the audience?
Advertisement
21-03-2017, 13:54   #32
dubhthach

I'd hope so, how many people are in the Late Late audience? North of 100? That's a nice way to add to their database of actual Irish based samples.
21-03-2017, 14:18   #33
Ipso

Did they test for haplogroups?
21-03-2017, 15:41   #34
pinkypinky

There was indeed one for everyone in the audience.
Thanks from:
21-03-2017, 21:32   #35
torrevieja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWow View Post
Genuine question - Was there one for everyone in the audience?
Yes there was ...
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-03-2017, 21:44   #36
torrevieja

Actually all of my question wasn't answered i asked if people related to you dont do the dna test how will u ever know ? and also asked are u depending on the more people who takes the test ?
21-03-2017, 22:16   #37
pinkypinky

I've suggested you use the search function to read many other threads about DNA on this forum.

I think the answer is pretty obvious: everyone will have a lot of matches, how close they are is potluck. As the years go by, more and more people are getting tested. Every time I log in, I have new matches. But the closest I've found and confirmed is a 3rd cousin.
22-03-2017, 22:01   #38
torrevieja

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
I've suggested you use the search function to read many other threads about DNA on this forum.

I think the answer is pretty obvious: everyone will have a lot of matches, how close they are is potluck. As the years go by, more and more people are getting tested. Every time I log in, I have new matches. But the closest I've found and confirmed is a 3rd cousin.
Can i ask Pinky which company you took the test and do the different companies exchange there results with each other ?
22-03-2017, 22:13   #39
pinkypinky

I've used FTDNA - there is some exchange between companies but you have to pay to do it. Third party site gedmatch.com is the way to go.
Advertisement
23-03-2017, 00:18   #40
torrevieja

Quote:
Third party site gedmatch.com is the way to go.
Can you elaborate what you mean by that thanks
23-03-2017, 04:56   #41
RGM

Quote:
I've used FTDNA - there is some exchange between companies but you have to pay to do it. Third party site gedmatch.com is the way to go.
FTDNA is currently accepting autosomal transfers for free.  You get your full list of matches.  They are charging $19 to unlock Chromosome Browser, myOrigins, and ancientOrigins.

This is their new policy as of last month.
Thanks from:
23-03-2017, 09:51   #42
pinkypinky

It's a site where you can upload results from the 3 main DNA testing companies.
Thanks from:
23-03-2017, 11:54   #43
pedroeibar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhthach View Post
I'd hope so, how many people are in the Late Late audience? North of 100? That's a nice way to add to their database of actual Irish based samples.
That studio seats 200, but the main advantage is that the event brought DNA ancestry before a much wider audience so it should generate better familiarity and a wider potential customer base.
All the DNA companies have serious customer communication issues, their claims are too strong and they obfuscate the results where the sample size is too small.
23-03-2017, 13:22   #44
dubhthach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 View Post
That studio seats 200, but the main advantage is that the event brought DNA ancestry before a much wider audience so it should generate better familiarity and a wider potential customer base.
All the DNA companies have serious customer communication issues, their claims are too strong and they obfuscate the results where the sample size is too small.
Well even if they got a 20% return rate that's not bad, an additional 40-50 Irish people in the AncestryDNA database is a start. Given that there was a bit of fun with it (using the currently unreleased "Genetic communities" feature) I imagine they might actually get a better return rate than that. It does help that the postage is free back to Dublin offices of Ancestry in John Rogerson quay.
23-03-2017, 17:04   #45
BowWow

Looked at a recording of the LLS today - very interesting section on DNA and absolutely great marketing by Ancestry.

I'm waiting on my own results at present, but recently got my wife's. Whilst we can get all her European results, on the LLS the 5 people sampled had DNA results narrowed down to province/county. Is this available for all people tested?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion