Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-09-2016, 20:28   #46
Jellybaby1

I have not heard his name before. But then I'm not really interested in genetic genealogy.
Advertisement
14-09-2016, 11:43   #47
snickerpuss

I have been gathering loads of certs and tying up loose ends. I even managed to figure out one particular family mystery (a stepson living with my relations but no idea who he was and how he fit into the wider family). The downside is I've been staying up really late every night and I'm exhausted

My serious regret is not doing research a few years ago when they put up the whole index. Few deaths in the 50s - 70s I would love to pin down.
Thanks from:
14-09-2016, 12:07   #48
KildareFan

The downside is I've been staying up really late every night and I'm exhausted

Me too! Because of the experience with the disappearing indexes, I decided to go at it hell for leather, as sure as hell someone is going to pull the plug. Especially when someone figures that that a revenue stream has disappeared from the government coffers. I figure I've already not paid over 1000euro for certs I've downloaded, not to mention the many red herrings I've managed to check and chuck out of the database.
(4) thanks from:
14-09-2016, 12:17   #49
pinkypinky

Yep, I've had a few late nights too. Gotten lots of good stuff. I've not paid about €400 in certs because of it.
(2) thanks from:
14-09-2016, 12:21   #50
L1011

One marriage alone has saved me €160 quid (assuming it ended up being the last cert to order). Managed to look at every cert for my mother's obscure surname in an entire registration district which has given me various bits and pieces - €300 at least there.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-09-2016, 22:16   #51
Jellybaby1

I've saved a lot of money too. I don't think the GRO should worry too much about losing this income from me as I had stopped buying records and they wouldn't have got it from me anyway. The further out from the stem I go the less I am inclined to hand over any money. I did pay a heck of a lot of euros for the most important ones, and even for a lot of irrelevant ones I didn't want. They have had more than enough out of me already.
16-09-2016, 23:21   #52
pinkypinky

I agree with you Jelly but the thing is that if I had been presented with an online ordering system with immediate certs, over time I would have handed over lots more money for more distance relatives' records.
Thanks from:
23-09-2016, 11:35   #53
pinkypinky

Anyone else going to Clare Roots this weekend?
Thanks from:
28-09-2016, 23:50   #54
pedroeibar1

One of my ‘other’ hobbies is sailing. A favour is needed for Fergal, our popular Mod over on Sailing & Boating . He, in the odd half hours free from caring for wife and son (in wheelchairs) builds boats. Beautiful boats. He is a finalist in Ireland’s “DIY King” competition and neck and neck (51 : 49) with a person who paints sheds whereas THIS is his competition entry, built entirely from scratch (including a complete engine rebuild) in his back yard, under an awning. The winning prize would greatly help progress on his current project* (see below).

I am asking you to please support him by registering / voting here – it only take a minute. Please do it!!
*His current project is a wheel-chair friendly cruiser to enable his family spend time together on the water. That project started with a sunken wreck, salvaged from a riverbed. You can see the work in progress here here . Thank you.
Advertisement
30-09-2016, 22:51   #55
rhapsody

I wonder if anyone could advise me on Dublin newspapers in 1892. I have a death cert for a possible relative who died as a result of injuries from a fall from a cart. I wondered if such a thing would be mentioned in the paper, and would anyone know them well enough to suggest where I should start.
01-10-2016, 00:28   #56
Hermy

Find My Past have a good newspaper archive which might be as good as any to start with.

If you'd like to mention the name in post I can check for you.
01-10-2016, 20:59   #57
rhapsody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
Find My Past have a good newspaper archive which might be as good as any to start with.

If you'd like to mention the name in post I can check for you.
Thanks for that! I'm going to the NLI this week, so I was more wondering which papers to order. You could search for James Fay- his death cert says he had the accident on June 27th, and died on July 4th. It was registered in the North Dublin district- though I can't make out the name of the hospital. Thanks again.
01-10-2016, 21:14   #58
pinkypinky

No need to order papers - just use one of the pcs in the Genealogy Room, where they have free access to both the Irish News Archive and Findmypast which has access to the British Newspaper Archive, containing many Irish papers.
(2) thanks from:
01-10-2016, 22:12   #59
tabbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
Thanks for that! I'm going to the NLI this week, so I was more wondering which papers to order.
The Dublin newspaper microfilms are in self service filing cabinets in the microfilm room.
The main papers for the time were Freeman's Journal, Irish Times, Evening Telegraph and Evening Mail,
Thanks from:
01-10-2016, 22:36   #60
rhapsody

Thanks folks for the Dublin newspaper advice- I'm looking forward to getting some more details on this, as well as the 1921 suicide I mentioned in the handwriting decipher thread
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion